FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is This system nesseccary for frihost?






Is This system nesseccary for frihost?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
I consider this topic is Waste of time and space(Lock this post)
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
Not so good idea but May be considered
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

chennai
Hi admin,
I am not sure whether I can suggest something related to the storage.But i think this on is not wrong
I agree that the space/bandwith is more than enough for many websites.At the same Some websites hosted on frihost have a lot of hits per day.But these sites also suffer from deficiency of bandwith/space you provide. My idea is that based on the no of hits per day/month u can raise or lower the
space/bandwith combination.This ensures that the space/bandwith ofwebsites that are extremley small and unvisited is not wasted and used by the needy websites.

Again I am sorry if i posted something that should not be posted or if u consider this topic itself as a waste
Animal
While this is an interesting suggestion, due to the way the the accounts are created on the server, this would mean that the staff would have to manually monitor the stats for each and every website and then update the storage and bandwidth requirements. Because of the sheer number of sites that we hold here at Frihost, this is simply not possible. As far as I know, this task could not be completed by automation.

There are very few websites that use a large amount of space on the server, so this wouldn't benefit many users. We also pride ourselves on giving every user the same deal which we feel is very fair. Why should we discriminate against a user who's site is just starting out? They don't have much traffic yet, but they have a large amount of content on a complex and interesting website - under your proposed system, they may not have enough space to make their really good website and therefore may not get the traffic volumes they seek, meaning that their space / bandwidth allowance may never increase.

Personally, I believe that the current system is fine as it is. We already give users many features that aren't found on many paid hosts until you pay large amounts of money per month (such as unlimited domains, unlimited MySQL databases and as much as 10Gb bandwidth) - if you have a high volume website that is too big / popular to be coped with by Frihost, then perhaps you should be considering paid hosting anyway.
chennai
Animal,
I agree that it is a daunting task to manual monitor this.
You said that it would be like discriminating the new users.
But what i meant was we can monitor the average bandwith of a user for a specific/limited period say a month or two (cpanel/directadmin shows the record of bandwith/space,so we can calculate the average by a simple script)
and then based on that reduce/increase the bandwith/space or
even only the bandwidth .Or simply instead of reducing the given options to the sites of low hits,we can just award the sites having the high hits(also raise the minmum fri points required for every 50mb or so, awarded) without changing the bandwith of the low hit sites.This might encourage the user to post more and receive more.

Coming back to the question of the task of manual monitoring,WHY ITS NOT POSSIBLE? we have many brilliant coders(not me) here.why not start a official project of designg such a script?
saratdear
I feel it is an interesting idea, but I do agree with Animal too. It maybe near impossible to manually review every site. Although it maybe possible to code a script to do this (I do not know because I know nothing about those things). Instead, it could be done in another way :- Having a link in the 'Account' page saying "Request bandwidth/space increase/decrease" or something like that. Maybe users who believe that their site wouldn't require so much space an/or bandwidth (maybe it is a personal site, or something like that) could have their space/bandwidth decreased, or rather donated, to other users who do require the extra space/bandwidth.
And the users who need extra space/bandwidth should provide a very good, valid reason for it. They should submit their application complete with statistics of their website.
Having your website space or bandwidth decreased automatically would be sick, because I have a hosting account which I don't use, but I am in the process of planning and building a new site, so one day, having my space/bandwidth decreased automatically would be awful.

//Offtopic : I see that the usernames on the sides of posts are links, to their profile, maybe? Confused //
Animal
chennai wrote:
But what i meant was we can monitor the average bandwith of a user for a specific/limited period say a month or two (cpanel/directadmin shows the record of bandwith/space,so we can calculate the average by a simple script)
and then based on that reduce/increase the bandwith/space or
even only the bandwidth .Or simply instead of reducing the given options to the sites of low hits,we can just award the sites having the high hits(also raise the minmum fri points required) without changing the bandwith of the low hit sites.This might encourage the user to post more and receive more.


While this is an interesting point, this would require a lot more staff interraction with the accounts, giving us less time to spend on the forum or helping other users with their problems. It also introduces new issues: For example, if a user's site has high traffic levels for a few months, so he gets a larger webspace entitlement. But his traffic levels decrease over another few months so we need to remove his additional allowance - but what if he's filled his extra space? What do we delete first? This would be unfair.

Your point about bandwidth is again an interesting one, but since I've been part of the Frihost staff I've personally only heard of one or two users ever reaching their bandwidth limit in one month.

Again, if we increase webspace or bandwidth for certain users, it leaves less capacity on the servers for new members. We are then discriminating against new members simply because existing members have a lot of traffic on their sites - this would be unfair.

On Frihost we try to treat all users the same - whether it's an established user with a large business running from Frihost, or a new user with a small hobby site.

chennai wrote:
Coming back to the question of the task of manual monitoring,WHY ITS NOT POSSIBLE? we have many brilliant coders(not me) here.why not start a official project of designg such a script?


A script to monitor web statistics on everyone's site would probably not be too difficult. However, members of staff would need to review the statistics manually - we would also need to verify that users weren't clicking links all over their own sites to boost the appearance of traffic on their accounts to get more space. By introducing a system like this, it opens it up to abuse.

Despite this however, the Account Creators would need to modify the hosting accounts of each individual user manually - everyone who is hosted has their account created with the same "account type". If we were to create a new "account type" for heavier users, we would need to remove their account on the original type, then recreate it on the new account type. There would be no easy way to transfer files, settings, databases etc. This would lead to a massive increase in use of staff's time - I don't even know if it would be possible to do it with a script, but it would not be performed by a script anyway because the script would need to have root access. Any errors or hacks within the script could cause serious damage.


It is an interesting suggestion generally, but it won't happen. What you are asking to do is to reward users who create a higher load on the server - that reward would allow them to place an even higher load on the server and may cause problems for all of Frihost's users. The current system is a fair one, and I'm fairly sure it won't be changing any time soon.
chennai
Animal wrote:
chennai wrote:
But what i meant was we can monitor the average bandwith of a user for a specific/limited period say a month or two (cpanel/directadmin shows the record of bandwith/space,so we can calculate the average by a simple script)
and then based on that reduce/increase the bandwith/space or
even only the bandwidth .Or simply instead of reducing the given options to the sites of low hits,we can just award the sites having the high hits(also raise the minmum fri points required) without changing the bandwith of the low hit sites.This might encourage the user to post more and receive more.


While this is an interesting point, this would require a lot more staff interraction with the accounts, giving us less time to spend on the forum or helping other users with their problems. It also introduces new issues: For example, if a user's site has high traffic levels for a few months, so he gets a larger webspace entitlement. But his traffic levels decrease over another few months so we need to remove his additional allowance - but what if he's filled his extra space? What do we delete first? This would be unfair.

Your point about bandwidth is again an interesting one, but since I've been part of the Frihost staff I've personally only heard of one or two users ever reaching their bandwidth limit in one month.

Again, if we increase webspace or bandwidth for certain users, it leaves less capacity on the servers for new members. We are then discriminating against new members simply because existing members have a lot of traffic on their sites - this would be unfair.

On Frihost we try to treat all users the same - whether it's an established user with a large business running from Frihost, or a new user with a small hobby site.

chennai wrote:
Coming back to the question of the task of manual monitoring,WHY ITS NOT POSSIBLE? we have many brilliant coders(not me) here.why not start a official project of designg such a script?


A script to monitor web statistics on everyone's site would probably not be too difficult. However, members of staff would need to review the statistics manually - we would also need to verify that users weren't clicking links all over their own sites to boost the appearance of traffic on their accounts to get more space. By introducing a system like this, it opens it up to abuse.

Despite this however, the Account Creators would need to modify the hosting accounts of each individual user manually - everyone who is hosted has their account created with the same "account type". If we were to create a new "account type" for heavier users, we would need to remove their account on the original type, then recreate it on the new account type. There would be no easy way to transfer files, settings, databases etc. This would lead to a massive increase in use of staff's time - I don't even know if it would be possible to do it with a script, but it would not be performed by a script anyway because the script would need to have root access. Any errors or hacks within the script could cause serious damage.


It is an interesting suggestion generally, but it won't happen. What you are asking to do is to reward users who create a higher load on the server - that reward would allow them to place an even higher load on the server and may cause problems for all of Frihost's users. The current system is a fair one, and I'm fairly sure it won't be changing any time soon.




consider saratdear's suggestion
Animal
chennai wrote:
consider saratdear's suggestion


saratdear wrote:
users who believe that their site wouldn't require so much space an/or bandwidth (maybe it is a personal site, or something like that) could have their space/bandwidth decreased, or rather donated, to other users who do require the extra space/bandwidth.


Animal wrote:
What you are asking to do is to reward users who create a higher load on the server - that reward would allow them to place an even higher load on the server and may cause problems for all of Frihost's users.


saratdear wrote:
Instead, it could be done in another way :- Having a link in the 'Account' page saying "Request bandwidth/space increase/decrease" or something like that.


Things that you MUST not SUGGEST -- READ BEFORE POSTING! wrote:
12) A shop to sell more Bandwidth or Space using FRIH$


saratdear wrote:
Maybe users who believe that their site wouldn't require so much space an/or bandwidth (maybe it is a personal site, or something like that) could have their space/bandwidth decreased, or rather donated, to other users who do require the extra space/bandwidth.

saratdear wrote:
Having your website space or bandwidth decreased automatically would be sick, because I have a hosting account which I don't use, but I am in the process of planning and building a new site, so one day, having my space/bandwidth decreased automatically would be awful.


It seems that all the points raised have already been covered. In the latest quote, saratdear even answers his own point Wink

I'll end this quote-fest with another quote which I think sums this up:
Animal wrote:
...this would require a lot more staff interraction with the accounts, giving us less time to spend on the forum or helping other users with their problems...
...since I've been part of the Frihost staff I've personally only heard of one or two users ever reaching their bandwidth limit in one month...
It is an interesting suggestion generally, but it won't happen...
The current system is a fair one, and I'm fairly sure it won't be changing any time soon.
billybob
Although as said before this is an interesting idea my view is that the cons's (too much to do with man power, too big of a job to script bearing in mind as far as i know bondings does all his own coding by himself) out way the pro's (save space on the small sites and allow big sites to grow) the only thing i can see been viable is that people with bigger/popular sites been able to request larger amount of disk space and bandwidth say via the "request account change" topic and maybe take more point off these people per day.

Saying this I have heard that Bondings is planning on a shop for us users to spend our hard earned frhs$$ on who knows it might even sell bandwidth and disk space....

That's my view
Ryan
Saryon
Well, 250 mb storage and 10gig of bandwidth should be more than enough for the vast majority of the sites hosted by Frihost here.
I mean, if you really need much more, your site probably gets lots of hits, and thus needs the space. But isn't it better to convert to a paid hosting plan? I think that that would benefit you more than.
250mb is already like the highest free hosting capability I've seen so far, without ads even!
Related topics
The Gaming Guild
Me Thinks....
Where to get a free domain[fully functional]
Points Problem!!!
FriH$
Web site of the week
[Permanently Closed] Services for Free, including Your forum
Free advertising & Review site
So Like... What are we gonna do with these Fribucks anyway?
No. of points
The world is going to end.
Free Domain, With Frihost Members Help!
Referral system
How about some kind of "Like" system on Frihost?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.