FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best city to live in.....

evilryu530
whats the best city to live in? your opinion, and also why? or where would u like to live for most of your life?

im thinking of moving in the future, not soon, but somwhere else....
RhysAndrews
Bournemouth, England - Been there a few times - beautiful place.

-Rhys
conspiranoia
The best cities i have visited and i feel are the best in Europe are Berlin and Barcelona.

If you prefer a good weather Barcelona is the right option and there are a lot of things to do there and it's a very modern city.

Berlin is a great city, two cities in the same one, and a lot of things to do and to see too, i'm going there in 3 days, i love it.

I know a lot of beautiful cities but for me the main cryterium is one place you can do many things like going to concerts, museums, and that things.
chennai
I feel that a persons birthplace/native place is the best place to live
Srs2388
Etowah Arkansas
hehe
it is the biggest and best city ever
Dragonfly
The best city/place to live in the whole world is Panaji. Come and experience life in this city. I'm sure you will like it.
Commando_Sondre
Personally I like Kristiansand in Norway. It's were I was born, and I just love the place. Close to the sea, close to the forrest and so on. You got to experience it! Very Happy
fedex220
Hello,

I think that the best city to live in is Tampa Bay, Florida. I do not live there personally but, I have been there many times. I actually live in the north eastern united states. I suggest it to anyone. The best part is the change in seasons which relates to snow and everything else... Its just beautiful. I storngly suggest it to you!
hofodomo01
i'd give tokyo a shot. 20 million people in one of the more...unique cities in the world.

i've heard it's not so much as diverse, as just really different groups of people living together...
greatindiangenius
The internet is the best place to live in
JBotAlan
greatindiangenius wrote:
The internet is the best place to live in
Very Happy I guess you're right--just as long as there's cable internet and a place to plug your computer in, you're all set. The faster service you get the better.

JBot
Linda_B
There are so many wonderful cities... just depends on what your looking for. Beautiful "raising kids" suberbia or a city with lots of life to have a good time in?

I can agree, Barcelona is beautiful, one of my absolutely favorite cities. It's beautiful, sunny, warm, fun and so much more. I would love to live there for a while.
Stockholm is by far the most beautiful city I have ever been in. The islands, the water everything, it's a dream.
Beijing isn't exactly beautiful, but I'm living there now and it's so much fun. There is so much life in the city and so much to discover. I can only recommend it.

So many others are great as well, Munich, Nice, Paris, London... If it's what you are looking for, you really can't go wrong with any of these...
Billwaa
Hong Kong, becuase I born there and used to everyhing there. Beside Hong Kong, I guess internet a good place too.
evilryu530
sick, lots of good choices, i guess it also comes down to money and if u can get a job there too! imagine if you had money to go wherever you'd like!Q
trumnation
Well if money wasn't an option you could live for a bit in a few countries! Now that would be interesting.
scotty
Melbourne, Australia.

Probably because I live here but also because it has been voted the most liveable city a couple of times and just recently the sporting capital of the world. We rock ok?
mackhenry
most of u tell the place u have visited the most or one time but if u visit all over the world,. you will find that the whole world is beautiful
world is the best place.
i think goa is the place Wink
zion
Clearly whichever city I'm currently in. I just add to the overall ambience. So therefore, Melbourne is the best city to live in.
hofodomo01
No? Not the city of Zion? Sad
Aless
London, England.

Hideously biased perspective. Really expensive (especially if you're coming over in dollars), but if you live in the right part of town, it can be downright magical. I love living in London & wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world.
Davidgr1200
I agree with Linda, Stockholm is very beautiful. But variety is the spice of life - it would be nice to have places to live in several cities, say London, New York, Stockholm, Barcelona, Tokyo, and be able to move between then depending on which one was the most interesting at the moment.
Jert14
Well.. to me.. is Puerto Rico.. my home of 15 yrs Smile.. i was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico Smile and its very beatuful Very Happy you have to come and explore xD
nilsmo
Stockholm, Sweden: Good social services.
conspiranoia
Definitely Berlin, i came home yesterday from there, and it's incredible how cheap Berlin is.

I live in Spain and i thought everything was cheaper here than in the rest of Europe, but that isn't real, cheap drinks, cheap food, and very nice people!

I have no doubt, Berlin is the best city, for that things and for being two cities in one.
DynamicNames
Most people will usually choose there own city, considering that they've experianced that place the most. So, I would choose Chicago as my choice, and I will also add New York in general. I think that they are a pretty nice place, since they are mentioned alot and seem to have a nice community in some of there cities. That is about all I can think of.
spanx
There are so many wonderful cities... just depends on what your looking for. Beautiful "raising kids" suberbia or a city with lots of life to have a good time in?

I can agree, Barcelona is beautiful, one of my absolutely favorite cities. It's beautiful, sunny, warm, fun and so much more. I would love to live there for a while.
Stockholm is by far the most beautiful city I have ever been in. The islands, the water everything, it's a dream.
Beijing isn't exactly beautiful, but I'm living there now and it's so much fun. There is so much life in the city and so much to discover. I can only recommend it.

So many others are great as well, Munich, Nice, Paris, London... If it's what you are looking for, you really can't go wrong with any of these...
poiko123
I have travelled quite a bit. I liked Paris a lot. There was so much there. I tend to disagree with the French on most issues and have a bias in that respect, but I still like Paris. Rumors of it being a dirty city are ungrounded, IMO. Helsinki is nice, and Stockholm (at least the limited bit of it that I have seen) is also nice.
Crazy_Canuck
To the OP, we need some more information if we are to help you!

What city are you in now? What kind of employment do you have or want to get? Family or on your own? Climate preferences? Hobbies/lifestyle issues?

There are hundreds of great cities in the world. In Europe, I love Amsterdam and Paris. London, UK is fabulous. Dublin is an up-and-coming city with a rich history.

In North America, I'd pick New York, Boston or Chicago. Or my own city, Toronto.

I've never visited Asia so I can't comment on that.

I have friends in Melbourne who wouldn't leave for love or money.

I hear people live in Hawaii, but that seems like a paradise and I don't really believe there is anyone there other than tourists!

Some thoughts ... good luck.
Aless
The thing, it's totally different to live in a town and to visit it. You might like Barcelona or Berlin (and I agree, I've visited both those cities) because they are cheap and have good atmosphere/people, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are pleasant to live in on a long-term basis. There's loads of factors like housing prices, public service, transportation conditions, local neighborhoods, and countless others that very much effect people when they live in a place, but that a visitor would never encounter. I'm not trying to argue that these AREN'T good cities to live in (I have no idea), but saying there are merely more factors to consider than the fact you had a good holiday there.
CaBz
Quebec...

Because L'ADQ est l'alternative. Lol, sorry...

Quebec, because it's the best city in the world. That's my reason.
Crazy_Canuck
Quebec is fantastique!! So's Montreal. And I've lived in both Vancouver and Halifax. Too much rain and grey on either of Canada's coasts for me, but not much left in the middle! (sorry Winnipegers ... hehehe)

Aless wrote:
The thing, it's totally different to live in a town and to visit it. You might like Barcelona or Berlin ... but that doesn't necessarily mean they are pleasant to live in on a long-term basis. There's loads of factors like housing prices, public service, transportation conditions, local neighborhoods, and countless others that very much effect people when they live in a place, but that a visitor would never encounter.

Excellent points, Aless. Cost of living is key factor for me making Paris, London and New York tough.

Here is Mercer Consulting's World-wide Quality of Living Survey (April, 2006). Zurich, Geneva and Vancouver are top 3 based on "an evaluation of 39 criteria, including political, social, economic and environmental factors, personal safety and health, education, transport, and other public services."
pedrothelion
Heh, cool to see that Stockholm seems to be a popular choice Cool

Out of the cities I've been to the ones that I'd most likely want to move to, if I ever got the chance, would be:

Well, in no particular order because I'd probably like to move around as much as possible,

Sydney, the people there were just fantastic (well, ok, they were across all Australia but still) and I like the beaches... Razz

New York - It's seems the busiest city around but where I stayed near Central Park it got pretty quiet at times, which is what I would look for, the eye of the storm I guess Very Happy

Both Peking and Shanghai were really nice, though Shanghai had really filthy air, but we spent a day in Sudjo, the Venice of Asia, which was really neat, I loved it!

Just about any larger european city would be cool too; Prague, Milano, Paris, London..

Ooo oo, first post. Cool
David_Pardy
As being brought up on a small town on the Central Coast just north of Sydney (the other side of the Hawkesbury), my opinion is that people who have never spent much time in small towns (how many tourists stray outside the major cities they're visiting?) don't know what they're missing.

No traffic noise, much less pollution, in my case there's no gang activity, people are far more tolerant of each other (except when idiots come up from Sydney looking for trouble, in which case it makes everyone here suspicious of everyone of that culture).

There's also less crime, the cost of living is much lower, parking is free just about everywhere you go.

I'd pick my quiet, beautiful little coastal town over a big city any day.
onemoment
melbourne is truly an amazing city to live in if you're into alternative culture.

ive also recently been to new york and san francisco, which were also totally amazing places!! Very Happy
pedrothelion
Crapness, I totally forgot Montreal Shocked

The band scene seems fantastic!

I actually live in a smaller town outside of Stockholm, but it's close enough to make the prizes of appartments and houses really high. I still love it here though, I just think you should also try living in a bigger city once or twice, you'll probably realize that it ain't as scary, and people aren't as rude and stressed out, as you think.

They both have their advantages though, as has been mentioned..
speed
In the CHINA, I think Hong Kong S.A.R. is the best. Hong Kong is smaller than any country in United State. There only have many buildings.
Crazy_Canuck
pedrothelion wrote:
Crapness, I totally forgot Montreal Shocked

The band scene seems fantastic!

I actually live in a smaller town outside of Stockholm, but it's close enough to make the prizes of appartments and houses really high.

Ahhh, I thought you were Quebecois! I've never been to any of the Nordic countries, but would love to go.

Yes, Pedro ... Montreal's nightlife and overall culture is probably the most "European" in North America. Love it.

Only concern I would have about living in any northern country (Canada too) is the amount of darkness, especially in the winter. I am prone to Seasonal Affective Disorder when I don't get enough daylight ... do you find that affects you in Stockholm?
wormsunited
Hmmm... not sure but I'd say any hot country away from the UK Razz - not a busy city with a stressful lifestyle.
riv_
As far away from the city as possible I'd say!
Hide me away in the woods (with satellite internet, of course!) Very Happy
skygaia
According to a survey, Vancouver is the best city in the world.
I have been there once. it was at Winter. it was not cold but raining..
I was told that it's very difficult to see the sun in Vancouver during Winter season.
Except only that one, I think the city is the best one as I know
pashmina
I think the best place to live in would be switzerland. it has very fresh environment. the country is small so you can finish visiting the places within a week. I mean it is a very gr8 place to live in. very secure according to me.
calicamper
My favorite town would have to be White Rock, BC, Canada for several reasons:

1. Long beautiful sandy beach with warm shallow water, great for spongue-boarding, although the surf isn't that good because of the shallow bay.

2. A huge and beautiful softball complex Laughing

3. Close to both Seattle, WA., another of my favorite cities for many other reasons, and Vancouver, BC. Both are large enough to offer all of the big city amenities.

4. It's a small town, and having grown up in a small town I'm rather fond of them.

5. Also close to Whistler for snowboarding.... Twisted Evil

Anyways, there are other reasons obviously, but this is taking longer than I wanted, so I'll stop. But it's a cool little town.
dac_nip
eh? island. its better in the island! Very Happy
Rako
After just returning from an overseas trip to Europe I would say Brisbane, Australia is the best. Yes i was born there but the air is fresh (everyone smokes in Europe) there are mainly 1 story houses. not the huge high density apartment buildings. it is warm all year round. and the people are friendly. everyone also speaks English.
rajhank
I would say Dubai is a gud city to live in as it is highly developed , no I dunt live in that city and i m not preferring it , Other wise the city u r born is the best city to live in.
mstreet
Well, the cities I have lived in so far are the cities I know best and therefore are some of the best cities to live in. In no particular order they all have good and bad things about them Toronto Ontario, Regina Saskatchewan, Winnipeg Manitoba, Brandon Manitoba, Hamilton Ontario, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Calgary Alberta, Edmonton Alberta, Bristol UK.
Cities I have visited and enjoyed and yes there are bad things about them as well London UK, Vancouver BC, Amsterdam Netherlands, Frankfurt Germany, Lisbon Portugal, Brugge Brussells.
I'm livig in Toronto at the moment and enjoying it.
the666bbq
it would be somewhere in Italy or Sweden, if somebody lives there and knows where it is : please invite me to your home so that I can check myself
amusic
I like Australia and New Zealand. The people are nice there and there have many beautiful places.
watersoul
I'd say Plymouth, UK, its right on the shoreline so you can see the ocean nearly everywhere, and get to secluded beaches to escape it all, beautiful Dartmoor countryside is a few minutes away, and there is plenty to do (eating out/night life) in a city thats fairly safe and not to big or small.

http://www.visitplymouth.co.uk/

...oh, and it's where I study so maybe I am a little biased
http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/
mgx_virtual
For me not counting my city(-ies) it would definately be Athens, Greece and Rome, Italy. Excellent climate, old calm and slow cities with lot of things to do, and good people.
A place I could never live in is London, with all the rain, but loved when visited it for short terms.
darrenpaul
I would say Dublin...but its full of less then nice people si I'm gonna say one of the canadian cities, the people tend to be friendly over in Canada..eh? Wink
Silent
i would probably want to live in Montreal for one they are my favorite hockey team and there a great hcokey city and two i have been there before and its a beautiful city. Divided my old and new montreal. Old montreal is calm and historic and New Montreal is lively and active. So in my opinion montreal would be a fantastic city to live in!
Crazy_Canuck
darrenpaul wrote:
I would say Dublin...but its full of less then nice people si I'm gonna say one of the canadian cities, the people tend to be friendly over in Canada..eh? Wink

Awww, you don't like Dubliners, Darrenpaul? Such a rich literary history, and I LOVE the Irish! Where are you from, not Dublin I hope??!

But yeah, we Canadians are just too, too nice. hehe Wink Come and visit anytime.
schumway
Hanwell New Brunswick Canada.

it is a rural area so we have 2-3acre lots.
everyone is friendly and watches out for eachother and property.
I think there were 5 crimes last year and that included speeding tickets.
it is not a happening town but we are close enough to the city life (10min drive) that you can get there if you want.

I like not having people building so close to my house that I can borrow the salt and pepper by reaching across the deck LOL

it is also a safe neibourhood to bring up our children
mschnell
pedrothelion wrote:

Both Peking and Shanghai were really nice, though Shanghai had really filthy air

And Beijing didn't have filthy air? I really think the olympians are going to be coughing up a lung. Anyhow, has no one mentioned southern California yet? The area has great weather and is really nice if you can put up the money.
hopingtragedy
i don't know i've seen many places in the world that are soo pretty, i guess i like some places in germany and norway with all the medieavel castles...and also canada which is rly pretty cos i love snow and winter...and many more..can't decide really..
disgqboi
You can't beat New York City. Its like a melting pot, everything is there. I can't wait till this summer thats where I'll will be bringing my family.
ninjakannon
Aless wrote:
London, England.

Hideously biased perspective. Really expensive (especially if you're coming over in dollars), but if you live in the right part of town, it can be downright magical. I love living in London & wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world.

Ahh! I think London - as great as it's made out to be - is a horrible place to live. It’s too crowded, too expensive, the public transport is unreliable and overcrowded, it's dirty / messy, the public are bad tempered, dangerous and unfriendly and the whole place is aimed at housing the millions of people who help to make it so terrible.

Okay, so there are some amazing things in London - but you really wouldn't want to actually live there! And because there are such attractions for tourists it will continue to get degrade. Personally, I think that the London 2012 Olympics will be too much for the city to take and it almost certainly won't be ready for them; even if all the stadiums are built the public transport won't be able to take the huge influx of people and neither will the roads.

Prepare for London's undoing in terms of reputation, is the advice I can give - also: you won't have a hope in hell of getting to work of getting home while the Olympics are on there.
tijn01
Th best city I have lived in is London, but I would love to live in Barcelona- I loved visiting this city, its soooo cool!
or Amsterdam, I've spent lots of time there and imagine I'll live in Holland again one day, if I did I would prefer the international- ness of Amsterdam......
Donutey
Austin, Texas, if just for the riverwalk (tamed river with sidewalks and restaurants on both sides that runs through the middle of the city) Although, I know there are better places to be, but that's probably one of the best places I've been in person.
mschnell
Donutey wrote:
Austin, Texas, if just for the riverwalk (tamed river with sidewalks and restaurants on both sides that runs through the middle of the city) Although, I know there are better places to be, but that's probably one of the best places I've been in person.

I thought the riverwalk was in San Antonio. Does Austin have one as well?
left
Hong Kong S.A.R, China
I think it is the best country. It can east many food and many things are cheap. What you think?