FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Improvements needs to be done!!!






Do you think you've ever made a quick response so that you could earn points?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
No
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

vahsi000
This is a bit of a mixed thread of complaint/ suggestion. Firstly i'd like to address the fact how difficult it is for me to come back to pay for my owing points, here's a tip, maybe frihost should charge users frihost points according to how much they use.

I'm pretty sure there's someone in the frihost community where they're making several 1-line spammy posts and using a whole lot of bandwidth while i'm writing up posts where it's length are some of them equivalent to an essay. While that guy gets 1-2 points from a 2 minute job, all of my hard effort to writing a quality post gets capped down to 4 points, I feel frustrated by this idea.

Also, since we have the daunting idea that our accounts will be banned if we don't post enough, this is forcing people into posting in threads which they're not even in interested in. This place feels more like a place where people bring out their skills in spamming without getting caught doing it rather then a community.
wumingsden
vahsi000 wrote:
This is a bit of a mixed thread of complaint/ suggestion. Firstly i'd like to address the fact how difficult it is for me to come back to pay for my owing points, here's a tip, maybe frihost should charge users frihost points according to how much they use.

I'm pretty sure there's someone in the frihost community where they're making several 1-line spammy posts and using a whole lot of bandwidth while i'm writing up posts where it's length are some of them equivalent to an essay. While that guy gets 1-2 points from a 2 minute job, all of my hard effort to writing a quality post gets capped down to 4 points, I feel frustrated by this idea.

Also, since we have the daunting idea that our accounts will be banned if we don't post enough, this is forcing people into posting in threads which they're not even in interested in. This place feels more like a place where people bring out their skills in spamming without getting caught doing it rather then a community.


Firstly, the idea of frihost is posting for hosting. If your not here to post, then we will not be your host, as simple as that. The users who's posts are not in detail visit frihost more often which results in the increased likely-hood that they will click on an ad. If some user comes here lets say, once a fortnight, then they are not going to earn frihost enough income, especially if every member does this. Sure, we do not want frihost to become Spam Central, but there has to be a balance. If the posts are classified by spam in the frihost rules, then it will be removed.

In my opinion I don't think it's forcing users to post in threads their not interested in at all. Sure, they have to post in order to recieve hosting, but if there is no topic that they are interested in then they can easily create their own new thread to suit their needs.
garionw
wumingsden wrote:

Firstly, the idea of frihost is posting for hosting. If your not here to post, then we will not be your host, as simple as that. The users who's posts are not in detail visit frihost more often which results in the increased likely-hood that they will click on an ad. If some user comes here lets say, once a fortnight, then they are not going to earn frihost enough income, especially if every member does this. Sure, we do not want frihost to become Spam Central, but there has to be a balance. If the posts are classified by spam in the frihost rules, then it will be removed.

In my opinion I don't think it's forcing users to post in threads their not interested in at all. Sure, they have to post in order to recieve hosting, but if there is no topic that they are interested in then they can easily create their own new thread to suit their needs.


Thats good, do you mind if I steal it and put it in my signature
wumingsden
If you want to use it then I cannot see a problem with it, just make sure you sig doesn't break the frihost rules because of its size.
You may also wish to change the wording a little, to something like:

frihost is posting for hosting. If your not here to post, then it will not be your host

I said the above in an "official" way, therefore I used "we will not be your host". You should probably change "we" to "it".
saratdear
First of all, you should atleast have pride in the fact that you write better posts, contribute better to the discussion, and in simple terms, make the Frihost community better than the spammers you were talking about. Wink

Then, I too felt frustrated first about the fact that the maximum you could receive was 4 points, which I did not know when I first joined this community. I posted a very long post, hoping to receive lots of Frih$ and points, only to receive 4 points. I felt frustrated. But then, after browsing the forums, I came to know that first the maximum was 2.5, and then Bondings had been kind enough to increase it to 4. And you should consider that you receive 4 days of hosting for a good quality post.

And lastly, I don't really think your account will be removed the instant you touch negatives. You just need to keep your points above 0. Which, I find fairly easy to do, as I post a lot here.

I am sorry that I have not been able to give a great reply. Crying or Very sad


EDIT : @wumingsden, I hope you don't mind if I quote you on my sig too.
vahsi000
wumingsden wrote:
vahsi000 wrote:
This is a bit of a mixed thread of complaint/ suggestion. Firstly i'd like to address the fact how difficult it is for me to come back to pay for my owing points, here's a tip, maybe frihost should charge users frihost points according to how much they use.

I'm pretty sure there's someone in the frihost community where they're making several 1-line spammy posts and using a whole lot of bandwidth while i'm writing up posts where it's length are some of them equivalent to an essay. While that guy gets 1-2 points from a 2 minute job, all of my hard effort to writing a quality post gets capped down to 4 points, I feel frustrated by this idea.

Also, since we have the daunting idea that our accounts will be banned if we don't post enough, this is forcing people into posting in threads which they're not even in interested in. This place feels more like a place where people bring out their skills in spamming without getting caught doing it rather then a community.


Firstly, the idea of frihost is posting for hosting. If your not here to post, then we will not be your host, as simple as that. The users who's posts are not in detail visit frihost more often which results in the increased likely-hood that they will click on an ad. If some user comes here lets say, once a fortnight, then they are not going to earn frihost enough income, especially if every member does this. Sure, we do not want frihost to become Spam Central, but there has to be a balance. If the posts are classified by spam in the frihost rules, then it will be removed.

In my opinion I don't think it's forcing users to post in threads their not interested in at all. Sure, they have to post in order to recieve hosting, but if there is no topic that they are interested in then they can easily create their own new thread to suit their needs.


FIRSTLY, I don't like your attitude wumingsden. Yea sure, i can come here everyday and make 1 line post that no one else will care about (i guess thats what you want) but that DOES NOT mean there is an increased likely-hood of me clicking on one of the ads, maybe you should do a tiny bit of research in internet marketing before you make assumptions like that, since I have actuall evidence to backup mine where it's the quality of the visitors that visit a website and not the quantity(there is also SEO that frihost benefits from but I won't go into that).

You see that's the thing, spammed posts "will be removed" but they've already got their points and used up their bandwidths and they might get penalised "if" they get caught. So are you going to turn a blind eye on spammers because they visit frihost everyday "but there has to be a balance"?

So what, can I come in once every fortnight and make 20 new topics and come back next fortnight to respond to them? Like, I don't remember there being any terms and conditions stating someone who uses frishot hosting has to be making a post every day or every week. It is forcing users to post since there is so many people in this community that all of the popular topics have already been made. So what should I do, make a thread about how lond my toe nail is or maybe we can run a competition guessing how long each others secual organ is.

Saratdear, you probably know what i'm going through better then anyone else who has posted on this thread, sure 4 points is better than 2.5 but I don't see why we're getting penalised in the first place for writing up better posts then others, it's as if they're encouraging us to spam. So what i've done with this post is to split into two that way I get rewarded for my time and creative thinking.

Animal wrote:
Nice creative thinking. But double-posting's still against the rules. I've combined your posts.
garionw
Well, go and find yourself another Free Reliable Internet Host where they cover all of your little costs and give you your own dedicated server, It won't happen now, It won't happen tomorrow, It won't Happen at all

There are many different ways for Bondings to keep up the running costs of the site. He could place advertisements on your site and then make you design your sites so that they fit in with the ads or he could charge you for this service, but then how many people would actually pay up. If Frihost increased their space and quite possibly their Bandwidth, they I would pay up to 10 dollars a month for it, but because it is only 250mb and 10gb of bandwidth, then I love its price; free*.

But that free comes with a cost, all I need to do is spend 10 minutes of my time ever 4 days in return for 4 days of free hosting not a bad price huh?

And I only need to post 1 topic with a subject of over 10,000 choices, I can comment on the latest news, suggest a new feature for the site, Discuss my favourite website software, Talk about what I watched on TV last night and debate about my favourite video game and my favourite console

Most forums on which I join; scrap that, ALL FORUMS THAT I JOIN I do it for free and don't expect anything for it, free website hosting comes as a bonus.

Quote:
This is a bit of a mixed thread of complaint/ suggestion. Firstly i'd like to address the fact how difficult it is for me to come back to pay for my owing points, here's a tip, maybe frihost should charge users frihost points according to how much they use.


Why did you come back then, was it because you couldn't find a better free host, and now you have come to double post, to gt your point's back up?

Quote:
Also, since we have the daunting idea that our accounts will be banned if we don't post enough, this is forcing people into posting in threads which they're not even in interested in. This place feels more like a place where people bring out their skills in spamming without getting caught doing it rather then a community.


No, our accounts will be banned if we break the rules or take an extended vacation (for more than at least 65 days)

Quote:
FIRSTLY, I don't like your attitude wumingsden. Yea sure, i can come here everyday and make 1 line post that no one else will care about (i guess thats what you want)


Why don't you like it, hes only pointing out the truth. You can come here and make 1 line posts that no-one will care about, but that just means no-one will reply and theres a high chance someone will let a moderator know that you are spamming a lot and theres the chance you could get banned.

Quote:
but that DOES NOT mean there is an increased likely-hood of me clicking on one of the ads, maybe you should do a tiny bit of research in internet marketing before you make assumptions like that


Theres is an increased chance that you click on an add, because you read reading a topic that you liked and wanted to find out more what ever you were reading about. If am in the php and mysql forum (Which I stop by and read) and find a topic that interests me, chances are I will click on one of the ads, Why? because php and mysql tutorials might be just what I need. And it not only the posters who click the ads, because Bondings does a fantastic job with SEO, there would be people that come in off the streets (In our case, Google) the click on the ads too.

Quote:
since I have actual evidence to backup mine where it's the quality of the visitors that visit a website and not the quantity


Would you mind sharing this with us, or are you afraid that it doesn't exist?

Quote:
(there is also SEO that frihost benefits from but I won't go into that).


I didn't completely understand that, I think it means something like: I know of a way Frihost can get a better search result, but I don't want to share it, because I'm stuck up

Quote:
So what, can I come in once every fortnight and make 20 new topics and come back next fortnight to respond to them?


You can if you want to, but those 20 topics have to be orignal.

Quote:
Like, I don't remember there being any terms and conditions stating someone who uses frishot hosting has to be making a post every day or every week.


There isn't, you can go on holiday for up to 45 days

Quote:
It is forcing users to post since there is so many people in this community that all of the popular topics have already been made. So what should I do, make a thread about how lond my toe nail is or maybe we can run a competition guessing how long each others secual organ is.


Isn't posting the same as creating new topics???? And as for the popular topics, won't don't you just in those topics, rather than create new ones. Thats like opening a new 2 liter bottle of coke just because the other 1 had been half drunk

Quote:
Saratdear, you probably know what i'm going through better then anyone else who has posted on this thread, sure 4 points is better than 2.5 but I don't see why we're getting penalised in the first place for writing up better posts then others, it's as if they're encouraging us to spam. So what i've done with this post is to split into two that way I get rewarded for my time and creative thinking.


No, what you're doing is trying to get your points back up, were not stupid here you know, I could have quite easily gotten at least 12 points for this topic, but I'm not complaining.

If you scrap the points limit, people would just come here every 2-3 moths post a long tutorial, their thoughts about the news or what they thought of a game, and get 100 points. The points are capped to keep people returning to the site, to keep getting money from the advertisements, in order to KEEP YOUR FREE HOSTING ACCOUNT OPEN

Sorry for the long reply and for the backseat moderating but - Double posting is against the rules and wumingsden is a great moderator Wink
Animal
vahsi000 wrote:
Yea sure, i can come here everyday and make 1 line post that no one else will care about (i guess thats what you want) but that DOES NOT mean there is an increased likely-hood of me clicking on one of the ads...

Actual clicks are not the only way to earn money from advertising. There are also payments per number of impressions - sites like Frihost which have high traffic very often benefit from this, so perhaps you should take your own advice and do your own research.

vahsi000 wrote:
You see that's the thing, spammed posts "will be removed" but they've already got their points and used up their bandwidths and they might get penalised "if" they get caught. So are you going to turn a blind eye on spammers because they visit frihost everyday "but there has to be a balance"?

Absolutely not. On occasion, users post comments that are spam - these are removed to keep the forum clean and the users are not penalised unless it is a repeat offence. If users repeatedly spam the forum, they are highly likely to be warned, have their hosting accounts removed and be banned from the forum. I would suggest that you read this and this. In both these topics, users were banned for spamming. They returned after not being able to find a better deal in free web hosting, however our policies are strict. If you are banned for spamming or rule breaking, you will not get your account back.

vahsi000 wrote:
So what, can I come in once every fortnight and make 20 new topics and come back next fortnight to respond to them? Like, I don't remember there being any terms and conditions stating someone who uses frishot hosting has to be making a post every day or every week.

You're correct. We don't make you return at all. But if you want to use our service, you need to abide by our policies - that means keeping your points positive as long as you're hosted.

vahsi000 wrote:
It is forcing users to post since there is so many people in this community that all of the popular topics have already been made.

We don't force users to do anything. You're more than welcome to leave at any time you like, but if you do, your account will be terminated. Your argument is like someone saying "when you get a phone, you're forced into paying for it. I don't want to pay my bills anymore, but I still want to make the phonecalls."

vahsi000 wrote:
So what should I do, make a thread about how lond my toe nail is or maybe we can run a competition guessing how long each others secual organ is.

Well, no. These would both be spam and/or against the rules. You do not have to make new topics every time you come to Frihost - you can simply reply to existing ones. Why not try to help other users in the support forums? Or start a marketplace thread and sell services? There are literally thousands of ways that you can keep your points up on Frihost - if you don't want to do this, or don't have time to do this then perhaps paid web hosting would be a better option for you.

vahsi000 wrote:
Saratdear, you probably know what i'm going through better then anyone else who has posted on this thread, sure 4 points is better than 2.5 but I don't see why we're getting penalised in the first place for writing up better posts then others, it's as if they're encouraging us to spam. So what i've done with this post is to split into two that way I get rewarded for my time and creative thinking.

As I said in my edit of your post above, double-posting or multiple-posting is against the rules. You are trying to inflate the number of points you get for one post:
Frihost Forum Rules wrote:
1. k)Abusing the points system will result in an immediate ban.

Users who make longer posts do have an advantage - when their points levels drop to below a certain threshold, we examine their posts when considering account removal. Those with few short posts are much more likely to be removed earlier than members who have made very good contributions to the forum over time.

We don't ask much. 2 good posts a week or 8 good posts a month is not a lot to ask for providing you with free web hosting - paid hosting with all the features Frihost offers can be very expensive, so all we ask is for you to return to the forum periodically so that we can generate some income to pay for your "free" hosting. If you stop coming to the forum, then others stop coming to the forum, the income will drop. If that happens, we won't be able to cover our costs for the dedicated servers and so on, and Frihost will close. That means that you will lose your account and won't get it back.

So the message is clear: If you want to keep your free hosting account, you need to keep coming to the forums. If you don't want to keep coming to the forums, you won't keep your free hosting account - we'll give your space and bandwidth to another, more wiling user.
wumingsden
@vahsi000

If you have a complaint with me then I urge you to PM Bondings or a Junior Admin.

Do you have another suggestion as to how the Points System can be changed? I feel that you just want the system to change so you can benefit from it, and not because it will benefit FriHost, which is not going to happen. Right now the maximum of 4 Points per post is sufficient and currently there is no thought about changing it.

You currently have -37.56 Points. When the points are reset everyday to 45 (if you have achieved this amount) then it means that you have been away from frihost for 45 + (at least) 37 days = You've been away (at least) 82 days. [ note that my calculation is probably wrong ] My point however is still the same, you have been away from frihost for quite a long time. If you want to be hosted by frihost, then you need to come a little bit more often [ note that special circumstances are taking into consideration, like here ]

@vahsi000 & garionw:

Please try and stay on topic a little bit more. If you wish to talk about SEO related stuff then do so in the SEO and Search Engines. If you wish to talk about me, please create a thread about me in the General Chat forum (please note that any complaints about me should be dealt with another member of staff, privately, just like any other user - if the thread is not that flamey, then I see no idea why and can't be left open, I could probably do with a little bit of critism to make me more effective at what I do).. If you wish to talk about xxxxxxx, please do so in the xxxxxx forum.

animal wrote:
So the message is clear: If you want to keep your free hosting account, you need to keep coming to the forums. If you don't want to keep coming to the forums, you won't keep your free hosting account - we'll give your space and bandwidth to another, more wiling user
James007
If you are doubting the effectiveness of the most fundamental system of this whole website, you probably don't belong here.

Paid hosting doesn't have this posting system.

Respected moderators and users are already putting too much effort into explaining something which should have been clear to you the very first time you came here. They have better things to do.


Thread closed.
Related topics
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.