FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Running a Perl script in the background

Fenroy
I want to run a Perl script that constantly updates an HTML file so I can put a list of sub-directories on a site. The site is designed as a sort of listing location, where users of the site can create a new sub-directory to list any item they're selling. I want the Perl script to run constantly in the background so I can have an accurate list of these directories without manually adding one every time. How can I do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm currently making this site for someone else and he wants this feature.

EDIT:
Additionally, I can't get Perl to work at all. I get a 500 Internal Server Error whenever I try to access the script in my cgi-bin. I have the following code:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use CGI qw(:standard);
use warnings;
use strict;

followed by all of the rest of my Perl code. Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong here, and if so, what I should do to fix this problem.

Another EDIT: I can't even get the following script to run without a 500 Internal Server Error.

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
print hi;

It also doesn't work when I use
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
, so I have no idea why this isn't working.
Bondings
Well we don't allow it to have a script running on the server in the background the whole time.
Fenroy
Well, in all fairness, this is for a client of mine, so it isn't going to be running on the frihost servers. This thread was pretty much just to figure out how I can run a script in the background on any server.

However, I'm still a bit concerned that none of my Perl scripts are working. Even my simple script designed to simply print "hi" doesn't work. I get an internal server error. I'd still like to know why that happens.