FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many books have you read?

ncwdavid
I was just wondering how many people actually buy books and read them? The only books I have ever read are the stupid novels I am forced to read at school. What about you?
rameshbn1
Well, I understand the feeling. There are few novels in my home-library that I would care to read again.

I'm an avid book-buyer. Whenever I see a book that looks good, I buy it, banking on some future time when I'd be free to read it, and half of the books at home I haven't read. In fact, I don't buy Novels this way, except for a few trusted authors whose books I know I will enjoy reading. For Novels, I've go memberships in two good libraries near my home.

To answer your question...

I usually take a week to finish a book. Let's take that as the average. I began serious reading at the age of 18. Now I'm 30. During that period I've never been without a book in my hand. Doing some rough arithmetic in my head, I find I've read

***625 books****

give or take a few. Twisted Evil
.Locke
Well I'm a bookworm, and probably a nerd, but I'm proud of it and don't look like one.

I have a bookshelf full of books I've read at least 2 times (and it's a large bookshelf) and then you add the library books, and the books I had to read......
loryl
I used to be a bookworm. I used to read everythng I could get ahold of. I used to go to the library and just sit admist the bookshelves reading. I never brought books because I read through them too fast. I don't anymore. I've been introduced to dense textbooks; I can only read a page every 15 minutes. (Unlike my friends, at least I'm not reading a page per half hour.) Sadly, I don't enjoy reading anymore.... nor do I have the time.

Moral of the story is: enjoy the "stupid novels" that you read in class now so you can build your reading skills, reading speed, and vocabulary up, so you don't have to struggle with reading later, where it gets much much more difficult to improve. Being able to read well really helps later in life.
palavra
in my library i have more than 2000 books
and i read (nearly) all of them and some more.
Raijenki
I don't read many books...
Actuality, only 50-100 books, like GWR (Guiness World Record), Eragon, Eldest, Artemis Fowl, etc.

I read that books of school too (just because I need to do the tests)

- Raijenki
Shike
It depends on the type of book. I've probably read 3-4 hundred sci-fi/fantasy novels, about a hundred on celtic mythology and history. Several hundred (at least) text books, at least a hundred different philosophy books, as well as other "manual" type books realted to Roleplaying games (such as dungeons and dragons).
ddukki
I'd really rather buy books, than just borrow them from a library. It seems for functional that way. I guess for those people who don't have room for them are justified in borrowing them, but they're relatively cheap for how long they last ( if you get a good wholesome novel, that is ). Good books last long because you can read them more than once and get new meaning from them every time. I think that's why some of the classics have lasted so long.
Nutteloos
I buy books because they look good on my shelves. Makes me look smarter. Honestly. Rolling Eyes

But seriously, ever since I spend two hours per day in trains, I started reading again (I kinda lost the habit halfway through high school) and most often I buy them. And it's good to read them again after a while indeed.
scimitarmoon
I tend to get most of my books from the library because I just don't have the money to buy books that I might not like. But if I get it from the library, read it, and like it, then sooner or later I usually go out and buy myself a copy. Besides, I like re-reading books.
melissareich
I rarely read books, but I glance at them :O
I like to go to book stores and just spend a day there reading them, instead of spending all my money on them. Some books I buy for reference though like photoshop books and stuff.

I'm not really much of a reader though, I hated reading in school, I still hate it!
RallyMonkey
I've read about 50 some books since November, this is all I know.
Risa
The first book I read and really like it is the "Famous Five" by Enid Blyton.
That makes me like reading.

Now, I thinks there're more than 200 books I've read.
moonblade
I enjoy reading quite a bit, and always have, and having a decent reading speed when I find a god book (meaning a full novel in less than two days), I really can't make a decent estimate. Likely several hunderd books, easily, perhaps around a thousand. Of course, being a language student (which does include literature, of course) has contributed with around a hundred books as well.
Coclus
I read at least a few hundreds...
KingPuff
I don't even think I could begin to count how many books I've read... I normally buy a couple books every few weeks, but as I am in college right now, a lot of my time can't be devoted to book reading/shopping... I already have a fairly large personal library at the age of 19.
Shike
ddukki wrote:
I'd really rather buy books, than just borrow them from a library. It seems for functional that way. I guess for those people who don't have room for them are justified in borrowing them, but they're relatively cheap for how long they last ( if you get a good wholesome novel, that is ). Good books last long because you can read them more than once and get new meaning from them every time. I think that's why some of the classics have lasted so long.

I have to agree with you, but unfortunately I don't have the funds to buy all the books I want.
evanc88
I've read a LOT of books. This year I decided to keep a log of the ones I read. Sadly I've only read 7 so far this year, but I've been busy.
Captain Fertile
I must have reads hundreds, if not a thousand books (maybe more - it is so hard to work out). I adore reading but rarely find the time to sit and relax and be able to concentrate with a book these days but I still try.
Zampano
I keep meaning to read the Classics, but somehow I don't seem to get around to it . . .

But otherwise I'd say about 200 in my years
Malchior
I like reading ordinary school and comic books. I go to school and read the school books so I guess those are counted. But the Harry Potter series caught my attention when I read the third book. Since then I started buying the Harry Potter books since the begining and still loved reading it. I'm also very excited about the newest one called "Deathly Hollows". I think it would be the best, but unfortunately the last. Crying or Very sad
dedicatedtolkien
Basicly, I read whenever I'm not doing web page developement, coding, or schoolwork. I almost always have some book I'm in the middle of, and occasionaly several. Therefore, I'd say that in my 17 years of life, I've read at least 500 books.
blk3
I can safely say more than 20 books, Ive read them from cover to cover. They are fantasy books by the way, I stir clear of textbooks (those I read only to pass.
illegalhost
Hi, well, safely i can say that most of the books i've read are from the public or school libraries. Interestingly tho, they are all very good reads! My range is broad - from cooking books, to fiction, to comic books, to newspapers. Oh! And not forgetting architectural design and travel books as well!! It amazes me how much i can save just by borrowing!! But my ultimate classic/literature book of all time is Charlotte's Web. I was introduced to this little small fictional but lovable characters while in high school days in literature class! It was the most creative and emotional book one could have written!! The characters (animals that talks btw) are amazingly real and they relate to humans in some ways. So, i'm really proud to have known this book and hope that you would be introduced to this little book and love it as much as i have too! Do Enjoy! All in all, i've read close too 300 books.
creakinator
I am an avid book reader, mainly reading sci-fi and fantasy books, but will read almost anything if it is a good story. Sometimes I can read a 200-300 page book in a day or so depending on how much time I can spend reading.

now with the Internet, i don't read as many books. I'm a book collector. There are 5 bookcases in my den full of non fiction/reference type books and three bookcases in my closet full of fiction hardback books.

I've read many, many, many books. I couldn't even start to count the number. I started to read when I was 5/6 and have kept on reading since then. I started to reading adult books in 3rd grade by reading westerns by Zane Gray and Max Brand.

Today the young teens are lucky as there are some really good books out there in the sci-fi/fantasy genre which were not available in my teen years.

I feel sorry for those people who don't read. They are missing out on a great hobby and a way to stimulate their brain and also a way to distract themselves.

Christy K.
evanc88
creakinator wrote:
I am an avid book reader, mainly reading sci-fi and fantasy books, but will read almost anything if it is a good story. Sometimes I can read a 200-300 page book in a day or so depending on how much time I can spend reading.

now with the Internet, i don't read as many books. I'm a book collector. There are 5 bookcases in my den full of non fiction/reference type books and three bookcases in my closet full of fiction hardback books.

I've read many, many, many books. I couldn't even start to count the number. I started to read when I was 5/6 and have kept on reading since then. I started to reading adult books in 3rd grade by reading westerns by Zane Gray and Max Brand.

Today the young teens are lucky as there are some really good books out there in the sci-fi/fantasy genre which were not available in my teen years.

I feel sorry for those people who don't read. They are missing out on a great hobby and a way to stimulate their brain and also a way to distract themselves.

Christy K.

I absolutely agree. There are definitely some great books for kids to get into nowadays. The only bad thing? They keep turning them into movies! They were meant for books and are endlessly better as books. Past children's books, man, there are tons of classics and infamous works that never cease to amaze. Read titles from the lists--like Harvard Classics or whatever--and you'll find some of the most amazing books. The 20th century, especially, was one that was great to literature (American, mostly) and playwriting.
roninmedia
I used to read incessantly. I mean, I used to read around 7 novels a week, but at this point, I enjoy reading the newspaper daily. . Kids these days are getting lazy with reading with Cliif's Notes or so many great books being turned into novels. Pretty soon, ALL the classics will be movies and kids will never read again.
sondosia
Well, I love reading and I use allconsuming.net to keep track of the books I read. For the past year or so, I've read 228 books. Actually, a lot of those I probably read earlier and just put down that I read. So it's 228 give or take, like, 30. Very Happy
robohobo
I dont no how 2 reeds
meet in rio
I've read a lot of books, but most of them before I turned 15. I was such a bookworm as a child, but just lost the desire in my teens. I'm at university now and hardly read anything, which is quite ironic when you consider that I'm doing a Literature degree! I love the analysis but hate the page-turning, which is why I will choose poetry over prose any day.

(My only concession is children's books. Yes, I am a big Harry Potter geek.)

I couldn't begin to estimate how many books I've read, and I don't know how anyone else could, either!
Jakob [JaWGames]
I belive that I have read a few hundred of books. A period I read at least two books in one week but now I reads maybe one in two weeks due to massive amounts of homework and other must-do things.
Shewolf
I used to read about anything I could find, while being a child. But lately I simply had not had the time, even if I truly wanted to.
I have really no idea how many books I have read, and there is no point start counting, because I will alwas forget some titles...
oleszka
Oh I have read a lot of... Because I was studying at literature university and for 4 years I had to read many books. Now I read books everyday.
hesham2
i dont read any books i dont like rading Smile
Crazy_Canuck
hesham2 wrote:
i dont read any books i dont like rading Smile

Hence, the spelling and punctuation problems above! (sorry, couldn't resist -- no offense intended!)

As for reading, I notice there are a lot of students above, and that reading textbooks has "ruined" the joy of reading for pleasure for you. But, don't despair!!

My first degree was in English literature, so I got to read all of the books I loved over and over. I was in heaven.

Then, I went back to school to do a second degree (in Psychology). I had to read countless textbooks of sometimes very dry, technical material with lots of stats in them (research studies and so on). I stopped reading fiction for pleasure almost entirely for about five years because of that.

I remember the joy I felt when I was finally able to get back to reading for pleasure!!!

So for those of you who are forced to read stuff you hate because of school, don't give up!!! Learn how to read, and read carefully, and then you will be better able to be a discerning reader and critical thinker later in life.

And make sure to read ALL KINDS of books: fiction and non-fiction of all genres. Expand your mind!!! Books can take you to all sorts of places, both real and imagined, if you let them.

Reading -- and reading carefully -- is the ABSOLUTE key to success in life.
missdixy
I read a lot. All the time, everything and anything I can get my hands on that looks interesting.
Afaceinthematrix
I dunno.... I have thousands at home... I've hundreds, maybe even over a thousand, of books... i simply read to kill time.
jabronie25
Books, hmmm im not sure. Im not a heavy reader, but i read when im bored. I only read a few novels. Let me see if i name all or atleast most

- The Hobbit
- Fahrenheit 451
- Carrie
- Cujo
- Julius Caesar
- The Hobbit
- Harry Potter : Prisoner of Azkaban
- Diary of Anne Frank
- Boy name It

The rest are like Non Fiction books and some kiddy books lol
Nameless
I have no frickin' clue. Seriously. I'm usually in the process of reading one book or another, but I don't read that much. Well, depending on what you call that much. At the moment I read maybe a (average sized?) book every week or two. I used to read more though. I'm only 17, but to actually count all the books I've read would be ... difficult. Laughing

I rarely buy books though, only borrow them from libraries.
TurtleShell
evanc88 wrote:
creakinator wrote:

Christy K.

I absolutely agree. There are definitely some great books for kids to get into nowadays. The only bad thing? They keep turning them into movies! They were meant for books and are endlessly better as books. Past children's books, man, there are tons of classics and infamous works that never cease to amaze. Read titles from the lists--like Harvard Classics or whatever--and you'll find some of the most amazing books. The 20th century, especially, was one that was great to literature (American, mostly) and playwriting.

Actually, I don't particularly mind the way childrens books keep becoming movies--in some cases, it seems to encourage children to read the books that inspired the movies, and those that only see the movie with no interest in the book were no more likely to have read the book anyway. ...and those of us who are enthusiastic fans of said books usually enjoy going to the movies, even when they're total garbage, because it gives us one more reason to obsess over the books just a little more.

Also--I think the topic of this forum is fascinating. I've been reading for my own personal enjoyment since I was just a little girl. How many books have I read? What an odd question. Like, how many slices of cheese have I eaten? How many times have I sat in a car or been to a grocery store? If someone were to ask me how many breaths I had taken since I was 13 I would be just as hard pressed to come up with the answer. (actually, that might be easier because there's probably some website out there somewhere that could give me a good idea how many breaths I take in an average day, based on my weight, height, etc) How many books have I read? Hundreds? Thousands? What amazes me are the people who really can count how many books they've read.