FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrading to Windows Vista

pashmina
I currently run my 2nd system in the intel duo core 2 with 512MB ram, 80gb HDD and 256 ge-force graphic card. will it be ok to upgrade it to windows vista from the windows xp. does the minimum requirement meet. installing windows vista, can i do it the upgrading way or i will have to reinstall the whole system again, i mean is that will i have to format my system before installing. can windows vista be installed in a partitioned way.. like in the c: windows xp and d: the windows vista. can this be done..
rajhank
Upgrading will remove some of the drivers pre installed on ur pc or laptop.

The better way is to wait for sometime and then after the VIsta gets stable in the market upgrade it coz at first it will have a lot of viruses problems too, as far as requirements are concerned download the upgrade advisor from the Microsoft Website.
ammonkc
You will definately want more ram. 512mb will get eaten up by the vista eyecandy alone. also I hear that vista is burning a lot of cycles by doing DRM checking on pretty much everything.
seriously you would be better off switching to linux or mac. this vista upgrade cycle is a good time to jump ship to a better platform with no viruses or spyware.
pashmina
i am also thinks about moving to apple computers. i hear many good things about it... i guess apple has a least chances of catching a virus.. is this true?
ammonkc
Yes. I have never installed anti-virus or anti-spyware software on any of my macs and I have never had a single problem. It feels good to not have to worry about it, and to know that you don't need to format and reinstall a couple times a year. that piece of mind alone is worth the switch
pashmina
i will switch very soon. will waiting for vista will be worth it??
TheGeek
Your processor is fine for Vista, you will need at least another 512mb of RAM if you have any hopes of even running a minimal Vista install, 2GB is recommended for any eye-candy settings to be enabled. Your hard drive space is fine. Your graphics card may be lacking depending on what graphics card it is exactly. Saying that it is 256mb Ge-force video card is like saying I drive a white honda...well which one? For instance I have a 7600GT 256mb Ge-force card, it got a 4 on the Vista hardware rating. A 256mb Ge-force FX-5500 would not get so good of a score, probably only a 2 or 3.

Personally, if it was me and I was in your situation (and I am and this is what I am doing). Switch fully over to linux Cool I have been using it for years now, but I have never actually made a full switch from windows to linux. But with the new windows being released I told myself that now was the time to do it for good and stick with it for good.
soulman
your RAM seems not enough for vista if you want to run vista reliable, especially two OS in a notebook computer
blendbet
Is it worthing at all to upgrade from XP to VISTA?
Question
yjwong
I would rather "upgrade" from Windows XP to Linux. Linux + Xgl has most of the eyecandies that you see in Windows Vista, yet consuming much less amount of resources.
johnkimb5
I personally do not like Windows, XP, Vista, and any other stuff they decide to do. I prefer to use the Mac. It comes with many free applications, and it doesn't have any viruses or trojans or any other "bad" stuff. Once you switch to the mac, you won't go back to windows. Plus, you can run windows on a mac, in case you really need it.
pashmina
johnkimb5 wrote:
I personally do not like Windows, XP, Vista, and any other stuff they decide to do. I prefer to use the Mac. It comes with many free applications, and it doesn't have any viruses or trojans or any other "bad" stuff. Once you switch to the mac, you won't go back to windows. Plus, you can run windows on a mac, in case you really need it.

i totally agree with you..