FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

1&1 Now Give Subdomains With Domain-Only

Animal
I bought a domain from 1&1 over a year ago, and a few months later (when I needed to change them) I discovered that they didn't support subdomains with a domain-only package. They made you upgrade to actual web hosting before you could create a subdomain.

This wasn't an issue when I had my nameservers simply pointing to Frihost, but when I altered the DNS settings to use Gmail For My Domain, I found that I couldn't create any subdomains either via Frihost or with 1&1. However, I only just found out that 1&1 now give you 5 subdomains with any domain registration.

So, if you use 1&1 with custom DNS or CNAME settings, this is very good news Very Happy

To create a subdomain, log into your 1&1 control panel and hit Manage Domains. Next, select the checkbox next to your domain name and select NEW -> CREATE SUBDOMAIN.

Once you have created the subdomain, remember that you need to alter the DNS settings for each subdomain separately. This means that one subdomain could point to the Frihost nameservers, while another subdomain uses CNAME to display a custom email login address with Google Apps.