FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IDE vs SCSI

mike_phi
Hi there I need some advice on choosing my lab/test server, I would like to know if there are any major diffences on choosing between IDE based computer as a test server or using a SCSI based mechine instead.

the reason being is a have a spare IDE based mechine already but i have an option of perchasing an old IBM Netfinity 5000 server which is SCSI based, as far as computing power goes I can see the diffrence apart from this multiple SCSI based system.

cheers Mic
mrblah
What is the speed of the SCSI drive? 10k or 15k rpm? I have a whole rack of developement servers here that use 7200 SATA drives that are quick enough for mysql.

mike_phi wrote:
Hi there I need some advice on choosing my lab/test server, I would like to know if there are any major diffences on choosing between IDE based computer as a test server or using a SCSI based mechine instead.

the reason being is a have a spare IDE based mechine already but i have an option of perchasing an old IBM Netfinity 5000 server which is SCSI based, as far as computing power goes I can see the diffrence apart from this multiple SCSI based system.

cheers Mic
conspiranoia
I think that the IDE option is the best, i´ll say you why:

I have been working with ide, scsi and sata systems and about velocity the best are the sata2 systems then sata, then scsi and finally ide, but if we are talking about stability, the most important thing when you have suffered multiple hard disk errors, the ide systems are the best, and the others are no more than a source of headaches.

My two cents.
TheGeek
SCSI drivers are simply a different interface that has a larger bandwidth allowance in the cables so they can transfer stuff from the disks to the RAM much faster than a standard 7200RPM IDE drive can. SCSI can come in 10k or 15k RPM flavors, each with their own benefits. Usually, if you have only a small driver (under 50GB or so) then an IDE drive or SATA drive will read just as fast if not faster in some cases then a SCSI drive of similar size. SCSI drives (and high RPM drives in general) begin to show their real power at large disk capacities (around 100-200GB) and then begin to see performance decreases as the size gets even larger (300GB+). So if you are building something with a small hard drive or extremely large hard drive, you should probably go for IDE or SATA just for price sake. If you are going to build a system that is between 100-200GB then either a 10K RPM SATAII or a 10/15k SCSI drive will work best for you.

It also sort of depends on what sort of loads you expect the server to be under and what tasks the server will be performing. If you are doing something that is querying the disks a lot for information (such as a high traffic website or a mysql/MSsql/oracle website) then you want the fastest drives possible (IE. 15K SCSI). However, if you have a low traffic site or a server that is a data center that is not often accessed by a lot of people or queried for data that often, then a 7200RPM IDE or SATA is just fine.

I have also heard that SCSI is unreliable, where it looses data a lot, but I have some SCSI drives I have used before and I have never really noticed this happen as it is said to.