FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Routers and linux

mike_phi
Hi there, I am planning on setting up a server running on one off the linux distributions, I have a two part question.

first part:
What would you recommend in terms of linux distribution, I relaize its up to preference but I would just like to know what you feel as a good destribution to run a server, I am hoping for something with, remote desktop, and some gui support would be good.

second part:
With regard to router what consideration should I look into if I would like to have a router which will run harmoniously with my linux server.

thnak

Mic
TheGeek
Linux will run well with any router as long as it is wired and not wireless...wireless is a different monster entirely.

As for a good linux distribution to use for a server. I have used several different distributions, but I have to say I am partial to Debian/Ubuntu for their ease of use. I have setup a few game servers using both Debian and Slackware of all distros and I found Debian far easier to install things on and get the dependant packages needed for the server to run properly and fully.

Read this aticle I wrote on overclockingwiki.org about Debian to see some of its features and get a little bit of info (article is still a work in progress, so it is still missing some info I would like to have up)
dooble.doodles
Ubunto or Mandriva for ease of use, Gentoo if you want to optimise the whole system. Really depends on your experience level.
djclue917
Debian or Slackware IMHO. That is, if you want a really really solid OS.

Why do you need a router if your Linux box can be one? The advantage of having a Linux box as a router is that it can be configured in virtually any way that you like unlike a low-end router (well, I assumed that you're not referring to fully featured high-end routers).