FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How Much Money is Enough?

evilryu530
how much money is enough for your current job right now? what is your job and how much money do you think is enough?

lets be realistic here, im sure everouone can say 1 million+ but common, thats not going to be fun.
bassman
I read a study once which implied that if you make less than $50,000 annually, then when you get a raise it actually makes you happier because it reduces stress. However, if you're above that bracket, then any raise does not significantly increase happinness. So how much is enough? I think enough to be happy. You want to live comfortably without worrying where the next bill is coming from. But I am related to many wealthy people and it most defnitely does not make them any happier. In fact, having too much can make you less happy. What's the point of making that much money if it makes you less happy?
Wish4Me
There is never enough money to have enough money. When you get more money you spend more money and thus need more money. This is why communism came to rise, except for the fact that people are not perfect and greedy the system was a great one.

Building on this I think it depends on the individual person to manage his money and be happy with what he has. If he cannot do that he will always need more.
Afaceinthematrix
well, i'd say that you can never have too much money because of the way we think. i read somewhere that this guy's dream was to make a million dollars and then he would be content. Once he made a million, he said, "I'll only be happy if I make 10 million, now." Once he made the 10 million, he said, "I'll be happy if I can just make 100 million." He continued to make more money and he never seemed to be happy.
mexie
My current job is as an academic developer. I work with teachers, helping them learn how to teach better, particularly in relation to using the internet in their teaching.

I am paid enough in the sense that I can live on what I earn and pay my bills. When I get miserable about something, or anxious, I often spend money. I'll go buy myself something, or get my hair done, or just do the household shopping, but the expensive version of it instead of the basic version.

It has taken me a long time to realise how much I do this. It really isn't helping anything. It messes up my saving, adds to my worries and leads to more negative feelings and more spending. I finally realised that this is nuts, and am learning to stop it. The difference is great. I am bringing home less junk, spending less time looking at stuff in shops and saving money. Hanging around shopping centres is not very good for my head. I start focussing on what I don't have instead of what I do have.

I've finally started working on some financial goals, specific things to save for instead of thinking I'll never have enough money for anything big, and wasting it on small things. I got a financial advisor a while ago, and I am trying to educate myself better about what happens with money. It isn't my natural forte but I'm making progress.

How much is enough? Well, I don't want to live in poverty. I want to live in my own home, not just rent, and have enough money to eat, pay my bills, keep my computer up to date, and look after my cat. At this stage I need a car, but maybe one day I won't. At present I work, but one day I won't do that either, or at least not go out to work. I don't feel the need for great riches, relative to my neighbours. I want to keep learning, keep reasonable happy and useful, and have some modest fun. That is enough for me.

Mexie.
Blu_Spykz
mexie wrote:
How much is enough? Well, I don't want to live in poverty. I want to live in my own home, not just rent, and have enough money to eat, pay my bills, keep my computer up to date, and look after my cat. At this stage I need a car, but maybe one day I won't. At present I work, but one day I won't do that either, or at least not go out to work. I don't feel the need for great riches, relative to my neighbours. I want to keep learning, keep reasonable happy and useful, and have some modest fun. That is enough for me.

Mexie.

I agree. I'm not greedy, though whilst a large lottery win would be fantastic, realistically I would be happy enough with the above (Mexie's quote).

Though I don't work yet (still studying), I will do soon and when I do, it'll be from the bottom of the pecking order.
bulek
It's never enough. When you have a lot of money you just want it more and more even if you are not greedy now. It never ends, it's enchanted circle. Smile
lordsworld
If you think that, that means you have no goal, organization, and no sense of perception of where you want to be.

Ignorance is strength. Rolling Eyes
The-Nisk
Well this sum of money is the amount an old woman won in ireland by playing a game in "Euro-millions". And that is 115, 000 000 Euro. Why this amount you ask? because, it's just is. The thing about this sum is, you get about 9 thousand Euro interest, per DAY!!!! Imagine that you wake up, and you can go and buy yourself a new car?!!??! not bad huh? the question is, how to get this much money, if your legal finance for the moment is 20 Euro? We'll soon find out...but anyway 115, 000 000 E is a flashy sum of money, for me.
jeanoradean
It's enough period. Because if you think it isn't, you will never think it is. That way you will never be satisfied and what's the use of that? Better be thankful and happy with that which you have!
mstreet
I think enough is when you feel comfortable enough that you are not struggling for the nescessities of life ie food, shelter, and clothing. You also have to e happy at what you are doing though as well. I was an IT manager making a really good wage and woke up one day and decided that it was not for me. I'm now making half as much but I am a much happier person because of it.
vw_bugg
mstreet wrote:
I think enough is when you feel comfortable enough that you are not struggling for the nescessities of life ie food, shelter, and clothing. You also have to e happy at what you are doing though as well. I was an IT manager making a really good wage and woke up one day and decided that it was not for me. I'm now making half as much but I am a much happier person because of it.

Amen to that. I wish i was making a little more because i am struggleing with car insurance school and basic bills, i am not living beyond my means therefor i know that it is okay to want more money.
thealpha
i think that if I can have the money for some necessities, it would be enough,
extra money will lead to more undesirable outcome
nappy
Is money the be all and end all of everything though?

Surely a job that provides satisfaction and allows a balance for home is wprth far more than a top salary? (saying that I am a student!!)
Alias
When the time comes, I graduate and found a good job from where I will have enough salary. Supplying the needs of my family will be my first priority. Giving them a big house and some cars so that they will have a stable life status. After that I will buy my own simple house and a nice car. Supplying the necessities of me and my family is enough for me. I don't like the way earning money by winning in the lottery... I think its bad because by playing a lottery is just like you're gambling though the difference is that its legal. I want to earn money by working and using the knowledge that I've learned from studying. About 100,000 of annual salary is enough.
furtasacra
mexie wrote:

How much is enough? Well, I don't want to live in poverty. I want to live in my own home, not just rent, and have enough money to eat, pay my bills, keep my computer up to date, and look after my cat.

I couldn't possibly agree more. I already have my own house, but it is old and I need money for maintenance/repairs. My needs are few, and my wants are fairly inexpensive, aside from my lifelong desire for a luxurious bathroom. I'm saving up for a big tub, so I can soak my weary shoulders without scroonching down with my poor little knees sticking up out in the cold.
DeFwh
I do professional web design. Im semi-active and have about 1-2 jobs every quarter. I think I should make $1000 minimum on each site but no more than $3000.

I do this on the side.
schmidi
"Health is not all, but all is nothing without health"!!!!
Alina
it's enough when you go through the shop and don't look on the price - just takу whatever you like Wink
xorcist
Enough money is Enough when you can go to the store and get something you need or dont have to wait for your next paycheck to get something and get it right away when you need it.
m_furquan36
I dont think there is ever enough money..its like human nature that you just want more and more,you could by others standards have a great job with a great salary but for you itll seem peanuts,youll always want more then what you get..the thing is to try to get over this flaw we humans have and come to terms in a somewhat constant style of life with good living standards as we could somehow ease our thrist.
twisthigh
I would be content in getting 55,000-60,000$ a year, that would be enough for me.
sabe
I heard somewhere that after you satisfy the basic needs like roof over your head, eating, etc. you don't get much happier. I think the study was 10 or more years ago.

I think it makes sense. You will just have a bigger house, more expensive car, & more bills. I think it is more important to like what you do. If you spend your time at work is not what you want to do it is not worth any amount of $$ over the long run. Yes, you can stick it out for a little while, but I've met many people that have regretted taking a job for the $$.
vervaeke
To live in a decent home, eat healthy food and drive a reliable car, I think you're looking at $50,000 a year. Throw kids in the mix and you probably add $10,000 per kid. I'm talking household income.

My family of four were raised on an $80,000 household income and we were by no means "poor". We definitely didn't have the cool toys or dinners out like some of the other people in our area, but having little money teaches you a better lesson. You actually learn the value of a dollar.
cruisearound
The original question is difficult to answer as i`m sure no one has enough money, which ever level we are at we manage to adapt & spend to that level, i work for myself & mainly work from home. I do`nt earn a fortune but i do have quality of life for me & my family which in terms of richness, i value highly.
As long as you earn enough to live on & enjoy life to the full plus a few extra treats when you fancy i think your life can be fullfilled, its all a matter of scale in fairness.
sabe
I think this is one of theose "meaning of life" questions. You will learn to exist on what you have. In America we are so well off that it is difficult for me to think that many people don't have the basics.

If you have 1 meal a day, a place to sleep, you don't have to own it. A way to get around, no you don't need a car, etc. you are good to go.

In this country we don't really know what poor is. Just travel out of the country and you will see what I mean.
xyberz
I can tell you how much much is not enough, no matter how much you make. When you live beyond your means, you are not making enough and never will make enough if you don't change your habits.

This stems down from people who make only tens of thousands per year all the way up to the millions per year.

I mean we've all seen people from all walks of life go broke, no matter how much or how little money they made.

So how much money is enough? You have enough money when you can live comfortably with the habits you are currently keeping. When those habits exceed what you make then you are no longer earning enough. At that point you either have to make more money somehow, or change your habits to live within your means.

I believe that's a good rule of thumb to live by.
budiman
Could it be that no-one ever really feels rich, no matter how much money they have? That no matter how much is in the bank there could always be more? That our minds can still play tricks on us; making us believe that if we had just a slightly higher number in there, then we'd really be well off? Or that we'd be happier?

I guess it all boils down to what we all know: that money can't really compensate for any sense of lack or neediness inside. Too bad, it's still good to have though. A wise person I know once defined wealth as "surface advantage". It is worthless for anything that is important in life, but it does make the unimportant easier to deal with. If we want to use money as a feel good or a crutch then we will never have enough and always be chasing a higher number.
xyberz
I could agree and disagree with some of the statements posted above.

It's human nature to always want more, not of everything but just things. We started out as hunter's and gatherers, and I believe that is hard coded into our genes.

We always want to accumulate more no matter how much we have. You think Bill Gates would ever need more money than he has right now? Not for himself personally, but he knows that he must provide for his children and their futures. It's natural instinct as it's probably embedded into our brains that the more we have for ourselves, and the more we have for our children, the more successful we and our generations after us can be.

You know they say that money doesn't solve all your problems, but as a friend once told me, if you throw enough money at your problems, most of them will probably go away.

When you really think about it, money could solve a lot of our daily problems. You know we all get into arguments and problems with our spouses and family, although it may not directly involve money on the surface, in the end there's a good chance that money would help solve it.

It's very unfortunate that time is really worth money in this world and it's also very expensive. Cause if it was cheap, we could all afford to spend more time with our families, do the things we want, take more vacations, etc.
MasterfulMongoose
im a student at the moment... a high school student. and im gonna have to say that i dont deserve anything for it because even though i get good grades, i dont actually do anything in school.

i get my work done at home.
ywc1818
My current job is as an engineer. I work with professionals, help them building bridges, particularly in relation to using the IT technology in their work.

I am paid enough in the sense that I can live on what I earn and pay my bills. When I get miserable about something, or anxious, I often spend money. I'll go buy myself something, or get my hair done, or just do the household shopping, but the expensive version of it instead of the basic version.

It has taken me a long time to realise how much I do this. It really isn't helping anything. It messes up my saving, adds to my worries and leads to more negative feelings and more spending. I finally realised that this is nuts, and am learning to stop it. The difference is great. I am bringing home less junk, spending less time looking at stuff in shops and saving money. Hanging around shopping centres is not very good for my head. I start focussing on what I don't have instead of what I do have.

I've finally started working on some financial goals, specific things to save for instead of thinking I'll never have enough money for anything big, and wasting it on small things. I got a financial advisor a while ago, and I am trying to educate myself better about what happens with money. It isn't my natural forte but I'm making progress.

scrub
I'm finding that the less money I spend and the less money I have to worry about bringing in, the happier I am. I'm working towards complete self-sufficiency in a tribal situation, in which we can live with and off of land in a remote setting--using permaculture design techniques to grow food, and hunting and gathering. At first, some money will be required to pay property taxes and license fees to fish, hunt, and gather food and other useful natural resources on public land. But as civilization collapses the hierarchy of national and state, and possibly local governments will dissolve, and we have to maintain even that charade any longer.
Eclipse
I tried to read all of your posts but sadly, I don't have the time for it all.

Money is fickle; it will come into your life one day and be gone the next. It does not compare to a good woman. If I make enough to keep her and myself happy then that's all that matters to me.
nikki
For me....
money is never enough....

in this time where prices are continuously rising.....enough money is a myth (to me)
wumingsden
I personally believe that the invention of money is pretty stupid, yet one the most beneifical things, ever.
I never, ever used to buy anything. I however had a change of heart a few months ago when I realised that I'm not immortal Wink Whilst I'm alive, I'd prefer to spend my money, rather than have it go to the state when I do die. Saying this, I am only 16, but my life expectancy is not that great. I attend college full-time, and used to have a freelance job which paid a ridiculously high amount depending on the customer. Now though, i'm lucky if i'm able to attend college never mind shop. When I do shop however, I seriously shop til I drop. And I don't just buy myself stuff, I also buy friends/family things too. I usually spoil my two little nephews the most. I only buy friends things when they want something but don't have enough money to do so themself. My friends ask me why do i spend money on them, and I really have no real answer to that. They seem to think I go overboard, which is slightly untrue. my presents are usually, actually, are always, more expensive than my friends, but the meaning of them is the exact same. currently, one of my friends is trying to think of what to get me for my birthday (21st feb) but she's nervous as to what I've got her for her birthday (14th feb). Rolling Eyes She knows that i don't mind spending money, and she has the insane feeling that she has to get me a present that matches the price of what i have got her, which is so untrue.

Personally, my greatest weakness are shoes and clothes. The only things that I actually buy for myself are just clothes, footwear and glasses (that you wear, not what you drink out of Smile). No jewellery (I only have one chain, which is a medi-tag) because I hate people that try and show off what there bank balance is.

I'm not however completely stupid when it comes to money. I won't buy a pair of shoes, for example, if I already have a paid that are similiar that are not in a bad condition. As for clothes, I may buy a few similiar things, but I dress in multiple styles, so this isn't much of a problem. Also, all things that I don't use/wear, I take to the charity shop, which sends it off to well deserved people in 3rd world countries. Of the money that I don't spend at the end of the month, will go into my savings account (who's policy is very strict, which is exactly why I chose it). This saves me from ever having the urge, and ability, to waste money when it's not necessery.
adomicilio
Well, I'm agree, you never feel that's enough money. You always going to feel that you need more and more. I'm an electronic engineer, I don't have a job right now, but I was working at a important telecommunications company when I was a student, my job was like a praticant, I think that they don't paid me fairly. My pay was USD$120 monthly.

This company is at north of the city and I live far of it (at south), so, I need to take two busses to take place on it. And the neighbohr is iin a very hi place, the food y really expensive, so my pay was enough just for transportation and food, nothing else.

I ask you: do you think that this money will be enough for me? and I can answer you... yes. Because It was a great oportunity to get proffessional experience and meet people and get contacts.

I want to say you that the really money value is measured by your needs.

But... you always have more and more needs, so, you never will have enough money.
jWarr
Money in not important to me. Its much more important to be doing something that I enjoy for the rest of my life.
xj975
Enough to me is the point where your bills are paid..and you can put aside money for emergencies/enjoyment.

When the stress of making it day to day is no longer tantamount, and you are starting to worry more about how long it will take you to afford that new car you want but really dont need.
fbcompany
enough to live

but to work as little as to go surfing everyday
DizzyDesign
Money are never enough. When you work for something and have what you want, then you will always want more. Money don't bring happiness they buy it already made. But be careful what you want.
gtoroap
Enough to me is where I could pay my needs and I have money to make so fun yet.
justtj
mstreet wrote:

feeling comfortable is one thing..
but i would say one should have enough money to have women and also keep her happy & distracted and away from your BMW Cool
martyman123
i cant specify that.. ive had enough money if i paid all the bills food living and stuff and still before paycheck i have positive amount of money in my bank account.
jcvincent75
I really don't think that you can say how much money is enough for us. Most of us, if we are earning about $40K a year, then that's enough. Then if we get a salary increase, and we earn $60K a year, then we think that $40K a year is not enough already. Maybe that's the way it goes. The more we earn, the more we think the more things we need even though we really don't need them.

If I only need basic things and a little luxury, my current salary is enough for me. We have a profit sharing in our company every quarter so its like my salary times 2. That is if profit sharing is given every month. With that profit sharing we can buy things that are not necessary for us. Actually most of the things I buy with the profit share are not necessary. So I really think it's on the way we spend our money. I'm starting to save money right now with my salary and even though profit sharing is not yet given, I still have enough money to save for my self.

Cheers!
profbis
Money is never enough, but it is always sufficient.

I remember times when I had a lot of money, and it was gone.
I remember times when I had no money and still it was gone.

Money is a function of lifestyle, and if your life style involves drinking beer, any amount of money is just sufficient, I think.
robinhanks
schmidi wrote:
"Health is not all, but all is nothing without health"!!!!

money is not all, but no money, no health.
robinhanks
I think money we want to earn is not related with our job. it should be related with those we must pay for in our lives, such as house, car, food......... my god, so much, I cannot count them.
cvkien
no body will think money will enough. when they get higher salary, then they use more money and that makes them think they need more money. so i think it is not about enough but satisfaction. how people satisfy with their life. if they do not satisfy, then money will never enough.
gandalfthegrey
I think that it is sick that an individual is allowed to have billions of dollars.

Our entire monetary system and out morals are seriously ****** up!
Both Christianity and Islam forbid usury (charging of interest on loans)... Judaism also forbids Jews from charging other Jews usury.
torboxz
How much money is enough depends on yourself. If you spend more, you need more money. If you spend less, the lesser you need. Personally, in this matter, I agree with xorcist, enough money is when you can have/buy/get what you need ( Exclamation not what you want, okay.) whenever and wherever you need it even though it will cost you two or three times the original price. The price does not matter because you need it.

On the other hand, if you could and would get something that you want wherever and whenever you want it, it is better if you just save the money for something else that you need. Most of the time (for me and almost everyone else), those things that we want probably not the thing that we need at that time.
thealpha
i am a university student and i think I need about 200 Hong Kong Dollars per day in order to fulfill my basic requrement likes transportation and eating out at the student canteen.
If calculate the accomodation fee, a further 300 Hong Kong Dollars may be needed.
abcxyz1
How Much Money is Enough? => Never enough! Cool
chasbeen
I used to get paid a lot of money but now It takes me a week to earn what I used to in a single day.
I am doing the same type of work, I miss the money but I still get a lot of job satisfation.
haris3
Example

Salary = $40,000 Spendings = $36,000
Salary = $60,000 Spendings = $58,000
Salary = $80,000 Spendings = $81,500

This how it pretty much works for everyone.
chasbeen
You left out $400,000 a year but I'm not on that anymore. I think it's nearer $80,000 but in my case i'm under budget, not over.
pamelahicks
My only job right now is to homeschool my kids, so the only pay i seek is my childrens' success in whatever they aspire to!
nigam
For me, no money is enough...as you can see businessmen seems to invest more and they are not satisfied with what they have right now. Employers are getting more money while they paid less to their employees, this isn't fair in our country. There is no such word is enough for us.
gtoroap
I only need the enough money to buy food, get dressed and a buy little bit of things occasionally, I dont need more money. In fact, more money could be dangerous to me. I could spend more and more, getting debts and more debts. If I have to say a number, maybe I need about $30000 a year or even less. No more.
trnt
I am student and I need 300$ per month. It is true!
Confused
edwinl
I guess enough money is how much is your goal, you want $1,000... $2,000... $5,000 per week just work for it and it will be enough money.
joostvane
I'm still in high school and I just ask my mom when I need money to go to a party or buy some candy Razz

Lets say in total I get about 80 EUR/month? But I mean, I go to the snack bar every wednesday with my friends and stuff, so then they won't need to pay food for me at home.

It compensates Razz

For my job later on, I'm hoping a fair amount. But people always want more, thats how we are. With free time, money, possessions, ... If you get 50.000, you want 60.000, ...
Tadtoad
How much is enough? It all depends on who you are, where you live, your current situation in life...loads of factors.

If you are just looking for enough money to make it to the next month and you don't go partying or wasting/spending your money on thing you don't need, then minimum wage may be enough for you. But then again "minimum wage" is different in all countries. Where I live now, for the locals, someone who just got their bachelors degree in computer science is happy with anything from USD150 - USD 300 per month. Whereas, for a foreigner, that doesn't even come close, mainly because once the locals see you're a foreigner...the prices sky-rocket, clothes, food, rent...you name it.

Also, you might be in a serious financial bind and NEED as much money as you can get you hands on. Or you may be a rich guy and getting a job isn't necessary for you but you still get one to keep up appearance.

I could go on and on about this but...I don't want to so...there.
silobean
i think its undefinable..money will always not enough! Crying or Very sad