FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

exotic animals

fianchesso
Hello, I've always wanted a koala, or a panda, or even a baby tiger or something exotic. Does anyone know the current laws and regulations on those sort of things (even more exotic than snakes)? Perhaps if there is a website with a complete listing of what you need for each kind of pet.

Thanks
prashant
hehe! r u kidding? Shocked

Even I wud luv to have a lion and a tiger at home! the problem is that they eat me up! Razz
PatTheGreat42
Keeping an exotic animal as a pet is not really a good idea.

First off, these exotic pets aren't exactly bred at your local pet store. To obtain one, you might need to do something illegal or quasi-legal. Plus, these methods might include getting these animals from the wild, and because the so-called exotic animals are often endangered, that is really a terrible thing.

Next is taking care of it. Whereas your standard house cat will be content with a bowl in the corner and a litter box, to properly care for your jungle cat of choice, you really need a very expensive and very extensive environment. A cage in the backyard is downright cruel.

And then what happens when it grows? Tigers and lions and bears all get big and get hungry and get to the point where they start to want dominance. Getting an exotic animal of this sort is really a danger to you, your family, your neighbors, and the species in general.

If you want exotic, get a tarantula. Nice, safe, and really cool.
bl1nd
Yeah, Get a gecko!

There are many types, and they are fun to take care of.

I have a leopard gecko, It's really a fun hobby collecting and caring for reptiles (yes, i know, it's not what you wanted, but im just saying)

I also have a snake. They're fun too, the only thing i don't like is the feeding of the hoppers (small mice)

If you want something that's exotic, go for a herp. Smile
crdowner
Laws regulating exotic pets vary by country and possibly even by state. You should be very careful when choosing an exotic pet. Some of the ones you mentioned can be deadly.
Annush_K
I've always had a dream to have a large carnivora like a wolf or a panther. But nyah, it's too obvious such thing is impossible, not mentioning illegal. Wild animals would better be in their habitat. ;3
Chalchihuitlicue
bl1nd wrote:
Yeah, Get a gecko!

There are many types, and they are fun to take care of.

I have a leopard gecko, It's really a fun hobby collecting and caring for reptiles (yes, i know, it's not what you wanted, but im just saying)

I also have a snake. They're fun too, the only thing i don't like is the feeding of the hoppers (small mice)

If you want something that's exotic, go for a herp. Smile

My roommate has a leopard gecko also, and it's got to be the cutest reptile I've ever seen. It's also fun to watch it go after the crickets we feed it.
Aquarys
Hmm.. I would love to have a lion or tiger companion... maybe I should try to become a movie animal trainer! ^^ (with affection training of course)
LeukeFilmpjes
fianchesso wrote:
Hello, I've always wanted a koala, or a panda, or even a baby tiger or something exotic. Does anyone know the current laws and regulations on those sort of things (even more exotic than snakes)? Perhaps if there is a website with a complete listing of what you need for each kind of pet.

Thanks

I have a exotic bird (don't know it's name in English), he is very friendly, and he always go on my shoulder and he can talk too. He can say alot of words in dutch such as Hallo (hi), Dag (Bye), Stout mannetje! (Bad Boy!), Goedzo (Good boy), and much more.
thealpha
oh~ I think you need a special room for them, they need special conditions to survive
rainmaker
Hmm...Interesting question. I know I've always wanted some kind of macaw, but tigers and what not...I know of one man in our county who had to get a permit to obtain some kind of exotic cat (I think it was a Siberian tiger) several decades ago. My grandpa was commissioner then and the board had to vote on it. I think Grandpa was the only one that objected, so the guy got his permit. As it turns out, the cat ate the man shortly after!

So, yeah, that's probably more than you care to know. All the same, I would recommend giving this ample consideration before diving in. You may regret it if you don't. But enough of my pontification.

I wish you the best of luck in any future pet endeavors you may embark on!

--rainmaker
genchan
how about a bear for a pet? I think different countries would have different laws on that. Probably not possible where I come from.
rainmaker
I'm just curious, why would anyone want a bear (or any other dangerous animal) for a pet anyways? I know they may be cute when they're young and it would be cool to have something different, but wild animals are really only happy in the wild. Unless there is adequate room and an environment that mimics the animal's natural habitat, the poor thing just isn't going to feel at home.

Why not just stick with a dog or cat? If you want to be exotic, go for some kind of smaller reptile or maybe a parrot. This, of course, is just my opinion.

Thanks and good luck!

--rainmaker
Bofia
I've always wanted a penguin those would be cool to have
yy1124
always wanted a big cat as a pet, cheetah or lion or tiger :p

But is hard to keep them even it is legal >.<

especially panda and koala...

Panda have very limited choice of food (only certain bamboos) and is very hard to get (i guess expensive also)..furthermore, without a proper environment for them....i don't think they will last long
lethaltriad
I have always wanted an exotic animal as a pet. It wouldn't be practical though but i just thought it would be cool to have a baby tiger or lion from when they are young and make them grow up with me. I know thieves wouldn't dare to mess with me lol. I love pandas also, very cute.
Captain Fertile
Here's an idea.

Why not use all of that money you would have otherwise spent on your exotic pet and adopt a pet from from a GOOD animal park (not keen on the word zoo) so you can go see your desired animal in the flesh so to speak.

Or use the money and donate monthly to some worthwhile conservation project or wildlife adoption scheme.

This will make you feel good, help a worthwile cause, help the species of your chosen animal PLUS you don't have to invest in a giant pooper-scooper!
tiel_99
I've always kept exotic birds like parrots as pets. They are really sociable and have distince personalities.

Talking ability is not a priority for me, companionship is.

I also once had an exotic turtle - a fly river turtle. It's the only freshwater turtle with completely webbed feet. It looks just like a sea turtle, but my experience with it shows that exotic reptiles are not meant as pets. They demand a very high standard of husbandry beyond what most hobbyists are able to achieve.

But parrots are very manageable.

I don't know about tigers though, but I have heard of someone who has a tiger in his basement. Only lets it out at night to roam his garden so that the neighbours won't notice. I don't know if it's true, but it sure is a cruel way to keep a majestic creature.

I think the laws have banned exotic animals.
the vast majority of exotic animals are endangered and if they live in captivity, they run the risk of death and that is why we have laws prohibiting animals and more if they are rare.
Insanity
If those laws weren't in place, I would totally have a panda.
Hello_World
Unless you live in Australia, the only way to have a koala is illegally, and I dare say you would be caught fairly easily. Not that you would find one enjoyable as a pet in the first place, they are rather boring, truly, they sleep most of the day, and hugging one does pose a danger... have you seen those claws. Australia does not take stealing animals lightly.

I can't imagine a panda or a tiger to really be the pet of your dreams either. I mean, baby tigers grow up...

No, there are only two ways I can see for you to get seriously into those types of pets - illegal, and really, how could you sleep at night? Or,

get involved in wildlife rescue, and then you could take nurse injured animals back to health and then release them back into the wild.
menino
I think some koalas can be aggressive, and may not survive out of their habitat.
But I think a dog or a cat is a much better pet.