FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Folder permission deny access to backup copy of my harddrive

Technaut
I will donate all my Frih$ to the person that can help me with this.

Heres my dilemma:

I recently (yesterday) had to reinstall windows back to factory conditions because of a nasty virus that pwned my computer. this is no big problem, because e-machines gives out a disk to do so. the disk saves all contents of your hard drive to c:\My Backup [backup date]. the only problem is, when you access the My Document folders in that backup, they all say "Permission Denied". So, I cannot access the $40 e-book my mother bought because she made all her files private before the wipe. I also cannot ask Microsoft for help, because they charge $35 per support ticket. I am in dire need of help. Anything you can tell me that will fix this problem will be appreciated.
billybob
Technaut wrote:

Heres my dilemma:

I recently (yesterday) had to reinstall windows back to factory conditions because of a nasty virus that pwned my computer. this is no big problem, because e-machines gives out a disk to do so. the disk saves all contents of your hard drive to c:\My Backup [backup date]. the only problem is, when you access the My Document folders in that backup, they all say "Permission Denied". So, I cannot access the $40 e-book my mother bought because she made all her files private before the wipe. I also cannot ask Microsoft for help, because they charge $35 per support ticket. I am in dire need of help. Anything you can tell me that will fix this problem will be appreciated.

If you are login on as an administrator you should be able to change the user permissions on that/those files and folders all you need to do is:

Right click on the folder > properties > security tab > select the user you wish to be able to view the files from the list > tick the appropriate allow boxes, now go to advanced and tick the bottom box which should be replace permissions on child objects..... apply then yes to confirm now click on OK and it should now work.

Hope this helps

Ryan
Bones
This is a common problem after reinstalling Windows in a parallel install or with a backup folder as you described. You need to take ownership of the folder again. Try this article from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

It's really easy to do.
blueray
Hmm...

1.) Before re-install windows xp, what's your user type ? Admins, Users ??
2.) After re-install windows xp, what's your user type ? Admins, Users ??
q20201369
Solved?

I guess you need to login as account "Administrator", and right click your backup folder, select "Security", then add your current account name to the list, set permission to "Full control", done.

If you can't see the menu item "Security", you'll gonna type some wired commands in "cmd.exe"

Best,
q20201369

Technaut wrote:

Heres my dilemma:

orcaz
But firstly u need to start in safe mode b4 you can change file permissions manually i tink. I can't see any security tab or wadever in normal mode.
q20201369
IMHO, Windows XP/Home Edition has no "Security" tab in explorer shortcut menu, but in Professional Edition there is.

So, in Home Edition, I had to use a command line utility "cacls.exe" to apply specific permission, which is powerful but very very tedious.

Best,
q20201369

orcaz wrote:
But firstly u need to start in safe mode b4 you can change file permissions manually i tink. I can't see any security tab or wadever in normal mode.
Bones
q20201369 wrote:
IMHO, Windows XP/Home Edition has no "Security" tab in explorer shortcut menu, but in Professional Edition there is.

So, in Home Edition, I had to use a command line utility "cacls.exe" to apply specific permission, which is powerful but very very tedious.

Best,
q20201369

orcaz wrote:

In Windows XP Home you can get access to the security tab if you restart the computer in Safe Mode first. Much less tedious than using cacls.
q20201369
Thanks!

Best,
q20201369

Bones wrote:
In Windows XP Home you can get access to the security tab if you restart the computer in Safe Mode first. Much less tedious than using cacls.
SFMeatwad
I just created a new Admin user account and that worked on my Mom's computer, because she had the same problem.
Technaut
big thanks to billybob, that fixed my problem (hands 300 frih$ to da man). thanks to everyone else too. now my Mom ain't trippin' no more, and my head is still attached.
billybob
Technaut wrote:
big thanks to billybob, that fixed my problem (hands 300 frih$ to da man). thanks to everyone else too. now my Mom ain't trippin' no more, and my head is still attached.

thanks for the very generous donation happy to have helped

Ryan