FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Juparis
Anyone seen it? Better yet; anyone like it?

I only saw whatever was aired (so it was dubbed)--I remember the first 3 episodes were aired on the old Toonami some years ago, and I thought it was amazing. But it was only this last year sometime that [adult swim] aired all the episodes (not sure if enyone else enjoys those networks/Cartoon Network). I was obsessed for a while, but very very confused by the ending. Took a couple times for me to fully get it. Very Happy

I think it's a masterpiece of both art, concept, and psychology (not that I know much on the topic). Anyone agree?
olag
I didn't see it but i saw many comments very positive on it. I should see it a day because it looks like a great anime.
yy1124
This is the best animation I have ever watch. Even now I will put it in the first place if you ask me which anime I like most.
Ranti84
I've seen bits and pieces and read a lot about it and still am VERY confused.

I'd love to sit down and watch it all. I think my roomie has it...
robo_weasel
THe series had two endings right? Both relased in one hour episodes? wtf was up with unit 0 turning into the huge girl that bled all over the earth?? 0_o
Scaramanga
robo_weasel wrote:
wtf was up with unit 0 turning into the huge girl that bled all over the earth?? 0_o

I assume you are referring to events that occur in the movie End of Evangelion? That wasn't Unit-00, that was Rei becoming Lilith and starting the Third Impact.

Also, for people who are watching Evangelion for the first time, I would highly suggest watching the new Platinum releases, as not only is the video quality enhanced significantly, but in the last 4 episodes there is a good deal of extra footage added (not that this will necessarily clarify anything for some folks.)

Personally, while the first five or so times I saw I was inclined to agree that the show is deep, both emotionally and intellectually. But the more I watch it, the funnier I find certain things. And now, watching Eva has become just another funny event to do every year.
Raijenki
I saw the series, but not the second ending.
Actuality, graphics in Evangelion are cool, I personally liked it.

But, I don't liked the history.
That's so complex, I prefer histories that are simple, fun, not a anime that has a philosophy that the own creator does not understand.
Tex_Arcana
Okay I gotta say it. NGE really did piss me off. It was pretty good, it wasn't too deep for me but I bought the boxed set and and the movies then thought it was a huge waste of money. I wished I had waited a couple of years to see it on Adult swim instead.

I guess my biggest gripe of all was Shinji. He would seem to develop somewhat of a spine for a bit and then take half a dozen steps back into wimpitude (I know that's not a real word but you understand, right?)
shrinkwrap
Eva was really interesting. I watched it subbed. At times, it was a little too deep but that was pretty cool. Smile Both endings confused me a lot.
blk3
I've seen the series locally (it is dubbed in our local language w/c is Tagalog). Although I haven't seen it as a whole or in correct sequence as it has been having reruns. I can say that the animation quality is good for the time it was first released, I think it was in the 90s or maybe early 2000, but it seems outdated by today's standards w/c uses lots of CG to impress viewers. On the story part, I can say that its good (think of it as a thinking man's anime). If you have time go watch the entire series. I've heard there's also a buzz about making a movie (I think it's CGI).
darkhack
i love jenga
jordankalel
It has to be one of the best anime series I've ever seen. Its really crazy though, I had to watch it about 3 times to full pick up everything. And even now its still somewhat blotchy lol. For a series thats only 26 episodes ( not including Death and Rebirth and The End ) its an awesome package worth it's price
rampantinsanity
Wow, it's been a very long time since I've seen Evangelion. I'd have to say that it was back in '99. A friend of mine was obsessed with the show and of course, this was before it was showing on cartoon network.

She used to order the series from a place on the net, and when it came, she would rip open the package take out the tape and pop it in right away. It got so bad that I swear, she had a little bit of a crush on some of the evas. Anyway, it was completely in Japanese with English subtitles.

I haven't seen the dubbed version yet - we don't have cable. I can't imagine what it'd be like with different voice actors.. I just don't think they could get Asuka's voice quite right.

Does anyone know where I can watch the dubbed episodes online? You tube or something?

-Alunasa from Rampant Insanity
eku53ru
When I first heard about Evangelion, it was from a friend in eighth grade; it turned out that a local PBS station was showing it subtitled during its science-fiction block. I admit it's been a while since I've seen it; I ended up buying the Platinum Edition volume one because I always had a knack for missing the first five episodes whenever they aired. I've yet to see the movies.
rampantinsanity
It aired on PBS? Really? PBS rocks.. Heh, never thought that I'd be saying that particular phrase. Anyway, was it heavily censored? The version that I saw was exactly as it had been aired in Japan, just with subtitles. They didn't even bother to translate the Japanese text on signs, but in doing so - it made the anime look so much better.
Seiji
It was a great series but a little too deep for me. I'm not much of a mecha fan but I found myself getting into Evangelion.
eku53ru
rampantinsanity wrote:
It aired on PBS? Really? PBS rocks.. Heh, never thought that I'd be saying that particular phrase. Anyway, was it heavily censored? The version that I saw was exactly as it had been aired in Japan, just with subtitles. They didn't even bother to translate the Japanese text on signs, but in doing so - it made the anime look so much better.

It was a local PBS station (so it didn't really air educational stuff 24/7) - as a result, it was uncut and subtitled. They even aired the first episode of the City Hunter (and a few other series, such as Dirty Pair Flash) one night, topless waitresses and all - without so much of a peep about what was just shown. It was late night, so they did have some liberties with the content. XD

The subs I watched were the ADV subtitled versions, and I'm pretty sure ADV didn't censor Evangelion. I remember the subtitles were sometimes hard to see 'cause they were so small on the screen, and sometimes the title screens were completely translated, or left alone.
Cloudchasers
it's look so much like Gundam series. lol. But it's nice=D
Ryuk
I've seen NGE and can say that is one of the best anime out there, although it's a bit complex, it has a great storyline, and it's really imersive to watch it, recomended. You should see the OVA's to have a greater understanding of the story.
prilly_baby
hmmm I sugest dl the series instead of watching the dubbed series from toonami. Personally i hate HATE dubbed anything like movies, dramas or a series. But anways NGE is one of the best animes I've ever watched. The plot is genius and interesting. Although it can be confusing at times, it'll end up unwrapping later in the episodes.

A bigger question. Who all thought the ending sucked??
divinitywolf
Evangellion is one of my favourite animes ever. Its such a great mixture of psychology and an amazing story. I think its a major masterpiece and stands out from the other anime's.
web-geek
Evengalion is one of my fav. animes. The plot and the characters are so well developed and it is drawn beautifuly! if you ever have the chance to watch it all, take the oppertunity!
CMA
Neon Genesis Evangelion... one of the greatest classics of anime, and also one of the few mecha anime I can actually watch.

NGE is a good, rich series, but not something you want to show to the younger audiences. Not so much because of the violence, bloodshed, drama and occasional (soft) nudity... but because of the depth, specially on the last few episodes. I had to rewatch the last episodes some time ago, years after I watched it for the first time (I was too young back then) to understand what that was all about.

There are two movies to this series:

The first one, Death&Rebirth, can be pretty much ignored if you have seen the uncut series. Death&Rebirth is a recap of the most important parts of the series and a preview to the second movie.

Now the second movie, End of Evangelion, is an alternative ending for the anime, taking the place of the series' last two episodes. Now this one is worth watching. Lots of action, more plot, and an ending that makes more sense than the one seen in the anime (though a few people can still go WTF on the last moments of the movie). Again, the second part of the movie has some depth on the mix, but if you don't get it the first time, watch it again. On the second time around you should be able to make out something. It's actually a lot more simple than the stuff from the series.

Oh yeah, there's a remake of the series coming up between 2007/2008, called "Rebuild of Evangelion" (production title, this may yet be changed). It'll supposedly be a 4-part OVA series, where the first 3 are a remade version of the entire series, with modern artwork (including some 3D rendering) and a few changes, and the last part is yet another alternate ending.
Scaramanga
CMA wrote:
Now the second movie, End of Evangelion, is an alternative ending for the anime, taking the place of the series' last two episodes. Now this one is worth watching. Lots of action, more plot, and an ending that makes more sense than the one seen in the anime (though a few people can still go WTF on the last moments of the movie). Again, the second part of the movie has some depth on the mix, but if you don't get it the first time, watch it again. On the second time around you should be able to make out something. It's actually a lot more simple than the stuff from the series.

I must be in the minority that felt that the ending of the TV series was satisfactory. I mean sure it was more philosophical and possibly obscure than End Of... but certainly less bleak than everyone turning into orange urine (LCL, or whatever you want to call it.)

CMA wrote:
Oh yeah, there's a remake of the series coming up between 2007/2008, called "Rebuild of Evangelion" (production title, this may yet be changed). It'll supposedly be a 4-part OVA series, where the first 3 are a remade version of the entire series, with modern artwork (including some 3D rendering) and a few changes, and the last part is yet another alternate ending.

Remake is such a broad term. I prefer to call it Evangelion: Let the Milking Begin. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably be the first in line to watch this (and I was one of the few of my friends willing to shell out the dough to get ADV's proposed 10th Anniversary Eva set, which was subsequently scrapped.)
trarial
NGE is my favorite anime ever. I've seen the 26 episodes (and own them on DVD), and I own both Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion (kind of redundant, I know, but I really love the series.)

Oh, and I own some of the manga. Laughing
ivanegues
Envangelion is one of my favorites (with kenshin and Full metal alchimist (also I like cowboy bebop and lain)

First i've seen some episodes, so i thought that was the reason i didnt underestand it completelly.

So I watch it completelly, all the episodes. and.... I'm not completelly shure I got all its meanings. I will probaly watch it once again to get it better.

I think it is a masterpiece, and it can be interpreted and underestud in so many levels. I really like it and recomended.

Does any one knows about others works of their creators. Question
Scaramanga
ivanegues wrote:
Does any one knows about others works of their creators. Question

Hideaki Anno is mostly credited as the man behind NGE. Some other works he has done include: His & Her Circumstances (Kare Kano), Gunbuster, Nadia, and additionally he was an animator on such anime as Grave of Fireflies, Nausicaa, Macross and others.

Also the studio that did NGE (Gainax) is pretty well known for having generally screwy anime similar in some respects to Evangelion. Some of my personal favourites from them include: This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, Melody of Oblivion, Mahoromatic and FLCL.
Seiji
Was the manga series ever created from this? I forgot the name of it but there was a sample of and Evangelion Manga in Newtype. It was a whole different story and genre from the original.
roninmedia
Great anime, but my god, the ending left so many holes for me. The movies ended so weakly too.

You gotta watch it over and over again to pull out all that psychology babble from it.
Scaramanga
Seiji wrote:
Was the manga series ever created from this? I forgot the name of it but there was a sample of and Evangelion Manga in Newtype. It was a whole different story and genre from the original.

Yes, there is a manga series for this, two actually. Viz released the original Shin Seiki Evangelion, and ADV's manga arm released the newer Angelic Days manga, which is more of a love-story than anything else, and takes place just as NERV is being formed.

roninmedia wrote:
Great anime, but my god, the ending left so many holes for me. The movies ended so weakly too.

I'm not saying the ending of the movie wasn't weak, but I'm just curious what "holes" you thought there were. Also, you have to understand that the TV ending of the show was so open to interpretation, maybe what you felt was unresolved, actually was, depending on how you look at it.
XLCpanama
I just hate it so much the end of the series was so crap omg i wanna suicide the same goes for FMA omg that sucks imagine u alone in the space inside a "robot" surrounded by "water" .....it just to crap