FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What would be our world like without crude oils?

pashmina
Imagine after about 40 years, when the supply of the oils would go down and down.
how could be survive. the air fare the taxi fare ... and every thing would be very expensive due to the increase of the the oil prices. i think we should make a habit of using some alternative ....

I am not quite sure if this subject lies in this topic or not..
bogger
Well, as long as everyone answers from an economic/marketing point of view, it's ok!

Crude oil has pushed the biggest economic boom in history. Assume that once oil goes, the economy will shrivel back to localised stuff. Thus no more aubergines, or the likes. The tourist trade will slacken, seeing as Airplanes will become very uneconomical. Ferries will come back to the fore, possibly wind powered again, or solar.

Of course fares would go up, perfect reason to invest in the Bicycle industry, no?
Zeusik
End of resources of earth always is the most favourite subject of ecologist but for me it sounds like nothing so important. Old resources will be replaced by new - nuclear energy, bio fuel, solar energy and many many others.
Why we use now oil because it's the cheapest and easiest to use. If crude oil is lower amount then the price is going up and better (cheaper) fuel will be another mean of fuel.
Beside this - states put big taxes on oil (in Europe bigger than in US) and for example in Poland where I live sometimes is more profitable drive on sunflower oil than on oil. Of course engines are not projected to burn biodiesel bubt I suppose it's not a big problem.
bogger
Yes, but long haul flights using solar/wind power is unfeasible merely by the laws of nature. Biodiesel requires land to farm the fuel. We need that land to grow food, and for animals to live on. If biodiesel became the fuel for cars, the ecosystem would collapse!

Economically, States put a tax on it because it generates income, and as an inelastic good, no one's gonna do anythign about it. In the USA it's low because the americans vote on such matters as oil prices...

Nuclear power is a disaster waiting to happen. If sellafield (in GB) explodes, there goes cambridge, the WHOLE of Ireland, parts of scotland and wales, more importantly, me! and MOST importantly, 2 of the world's 4 Book deposits (all the books published in GB are saved 4 times in Dublin, Oxford, London and Cambridge, losing them would be catastrophic)
nappa
another source of energer will be produce, no worry then Smile
bogger
That's an assumption which one really can't afford to make, That's only happened once before in the transition from oil to coal, and we've not run out of coal, we just found oil more effecient, we ARE running out of coal, and we're not goign to choose to change, we're going to have to change, which will be, according to the experts, painful and hard
irinaonline
i am invested very big in oil, but it doesn't mean, that i am not into the opinion, that soon we will alternative ressources for oil. companies are working already many years in finding alternatives and even oil-companies already realized that and have own scientists in this fields. they want stand in the first place with alternatives, when the big hype will start. cars driving with solarenergy, water or something on a normal economics matter. the research is in the beginning, but where is a will, there is a way ...
dlougha
pashmina wrote:
Imagine after about 40 years, when the supply of the oils would go down and down.
how could be survive. the air fare the taxi fare ... and every thing would be very expensive due to the increase of the the oil prices. i think we should make a habit of using some alternative ....

I am not quite sure if this subject lies in this topic or not..

We are good at adapting. Necessity is the mother of invention. For too long we have sat back and enjoyed the benefits of cheap oil. As long as Oil and Gas guzzles freely from the ground into the powerhouses of industry, we shall not care about the ever so prevallent lurking dangers of pollution, green house gasses and climate change.

the sooner we are scared into alternative energies the better.

I was fascinated to see how much Brazil is adapting to the dawning of a post fossil fuel world. During the first oil crisis of the early 1970's (when arab countries briefly boycotted the flow of oil to the west in retalliation of the wests support of Israel during the yom kippur war), Brazil invested heavily in Alcohol powered energy. about 1 in every 10 cars drove on alcohol.

Today Brazil leads the world in bio diesel that is produced from a variety of plants. Certain types of Sea Algae produce high amounts of oil, and since they can be cultured in less favourable parts of the planet such as in vast salt water reservoirs, we could see deserts and infertile areas being cultured for oil produced from Algae.

Wind power, sea power and heat energy through gas compression are great alternatives to counteract the oncoming oil drought. Such alternative energy would also substitute the need for Atomic energy.

What is needed is a massive necessity for the corporations to get off their backsides and join in the effort to produce alternative energy.

Mankind always has to be prodded into change. During major wars, Armaments are rapidly developed and advanced. Such an environmental and energy war is needed to spur mankind to develop the vast reserves of alternative energy that lies before our very noses.
urangkayo
end of earth resources like oil will make human determined to find and search alternative energy like sun, air , etc

I hope end of oil from earth does'nt mean end of life human in earth Smile
Kitten Kong
Unless we make a change to other resources then the results will be nothing short of chaotic, every single industry is affected by oil, we would have no petrol, no aircraft fuel, no plastic and many oother sinthetic materials, we will be royally screwed
poly
We definitely have to find an alternative and I m kind of disappointed taht nobody really cares... 50 or 100 years are not a long time.m
betagalvan
Oil has produce changed in our societies both in a positive and negative way. It has enabled our culture to develop and the economic system to grow. However, it is the root for modern tyrannies, it provides enough power and money to those governors that their nations produce the most oil. It has also accelerated the global warming and contaminated most of our world. It just our culture that is addicted to oil. How sad!
nappa
If you guys have recently read the news about automobile, you will notice that there are many manufacturers building their cars to use electricity.

For example Mitsubishi Evolution has a concept model using electricity. And the car was really fast, I've been to the motor show.

So we will use electricity in the future for sure. At this age of the world we coming to the point where oil is no need anymore.

We gonna use electricity in cars.
scrub
bogger wrote:
That's an assumption which one really can't afford to make, That's only happened once before in the transition from oil to coal, and we've not run out of coal, we just found oil more effecient, we ARE running out of coal, and we're not goign to choose to change, we're going to have to change, which will be, according to the experts, painful and hard

bogger makes a lot of sense. It's worth noting that many analysts believe we've already passed peak production of oil, so this isn't just a theoretical exercise for what happens 40 years from now. We are quite possibly already in a situation where we'll get less and less oil each year instead of the more and more on which our economy is based.

It's interesting to see people's assumptions that we'll find something to replace oil (not just on this thread, but whenever this subject comes up anywhere.) The logic seems to be that "we want it, so it will happen"...which is fairly consistent with modern society in which any material object you want is pretty easily obtained. But it doesn't hold up well in reality, in which the desires, wants, and even needs of humans aren't automatically fulfilled by the world.

It's easy to see how we progressed from using wood until supplies of that were exhausted, to using the inferior coal (dirty and sickening) until we figured out oil. But there's no obvious transition to anything else equal or superior to oil on the horizon. Every alternative energy source and carrier under study has drawbacks which make it inferior to oil as a concentrated, easily distributed energy supply. So if you're counting on something new coming along, you'd be wise to look closely into what's going on so you're not caught by surprise!

Note that electricity is not an energy source. It has to be generated from something. Some cars may well use electricity, but you need to do some critical thinking about what the actual energy source will be before jumping to the conclusion of "problemn solved".

Good luck,
Scrub
Simplechat
When it comes down to it, we need hydrocarbons for our chemical industries. (ie. pharmacuticals and plastics). We would then be forced to create all of the feedstocks which would normally be very cheap through rather expencive means (by heating and compressing biomass).

However, if we have enough plentyfull energy then the rises would be much more managable. (ie. we would still have to build a new fleet of electric planes, but at least we can still produce the plastics that go into it without increasing its price a thousandfold.)
imagefree
assumed but the following results extracted Very Happy .

That human beings will definitely find an alternative source in next 10 years at most. (I can bet)

Even you will see some alternatives like light energy from sun. May be there are many other alternatives but i am not a student of this field, so its all from me.
dbhai
When resources will finish then sime other thing then oil wiill be found
scrub
imagefree wrote:
That human beings will definitely find an alternative source in next 10 years at most. (I can bet)

Even you will see some alternatives like light energy from sun. May be there are many other alternatives but i am not a student of this field, so its all from me.

dbhai wrote:
When resources will finish then sime other thing then oil wiill be found

imagefree and dbhai,

I'm curious how you can be so confident that other energy sources will just come along to replace oil. Do you have any evidence to back up such a belief? Or is just a case of "if we want it, it will happen"?

It's fascinating to me to see how people can brush off some of the biggest looming crises of our times, with statements to the effect that "someone else will fix the problem." So I'd love to hear from those who believe that, why it is that they believe it.

Thanks for any insights you (imagefree & dbhai) or anyone else can share!

Scrub
Coclus
We definitely have to find an alternative, which is going to be pretty difficult, but as soon as there is a real NEED to find one, for example when the oil price is too high to be competitive, we will find an alternative, like oil from plants or electric cars...
scrub
Hi Coclus,

I'd like to ask you the same question I asked imagefree and dbhai: How do you know that just because we want or need an alternative to oil to come along, that the alternative will come along? What if there simply is no alternative? Our civilization has jumped from peak wood (rampant deforestation making fuel supplies for cities extremely expensive as heavy wood had to be imported from further and further away) to the savior of coal (with its horrendous health and environmental costs) to the convenience and relative cleanliness of oil and natural gas. All these fuel sources are more exploited and depleted than ever. And all these fuel sources are concentrated forms of energy created from sunlight gathered over hundreds to millions of years. There is no known material which even comes close to those fuels.

The known facts all point to our reaching peak energy in a few years, and reaching exhaustion of the accumulated energy stored in fossil fuels within a few decades. After that we're back to relying on the energy which arrives on the earth each day from sunlight.

So why do you believe that just because we "need" (want) new sources of energy to come along which allow us to continue our lives as usual, that the energy source will?

I'm still befuddled as to where this believe comes from, and would love to hear from anyone who holds such a belief.

Thanks!
Scrub
akshar
dont worry the maximum consumption of oil happens in US and us i suppose will get distroyed i n some so called war against terrorism and rest of the world will get lots o foil.

Honda, Toyota ann will soon come up with hydrogen based fuel cells that will run plains and thermal power plants. so it will reduce the demand for oil.
tempdbs
A unbelievable imagination - All have get back to Stone Age (Some what to BC)