FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SVHOST.EXE error!!!

pashmina
Whenever I boot my computer after the windows start i.e. in the desktop a error seems to appear every time.
Quote:
Windows cannot find ‘C:\WINDOWS/system32/SVCHOST.EXE’ . Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

Please help me.
Alias
Quote:
SVCHOST.EXE is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

You probably have to reformat because I think your SVCHOST.EXE file is corrupted or has been deleted by someone else. Or you could just download SVCHOST.EXE from Microsoft.
shovik
Most probably you have been affected by msblastworm.exe a not so old blaster worm which has lead in to the corruption of your 'Generic Process Host'.

One thing you can definitely try is to boot into safe mode and do a fulll scan of your system. delete anything which is detected.

then try to boot normally and download the latest pacthes from www.microsoft.com
wlb
You can use the installation CD repair
pashmina
wlb wrote:
You can use the installation CD repair

it worked. thanks..
redice
I've seen a virus named itself "svchost.exe". The virus is in system dir and launch when windows booting.

The virus may replace your real svchost.exe and launch itself first, then call real (and renamed svchost.exe). when some virus scanner find it, they delete it, so you caught the error.
pashmina
Quote:
I've seen a virus named itself "svchost.exe". The virus is in system dir and launch when windows booting.

The virus may replace your real svchost.exe and launch itself first, then call real (and renamed svchost.exe). when some virus scanner find it, they delete it, so you caught the error.

Pretty much true. i caught a same virus. this virus makes the folder into .exe application, so when it is run it makes more of those kinds inside another directory. fortunately i knew how to eliminate this virus my self.
it was simple you had to run the task manager then kill the virus process then, so to search then type *.exe which will list all the .exe files. then delete the folder like icon with .exe extension file.