FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Watching movies in the theater or at home?

k10000s
Hi, everyone~.
Do you perfer watching movies in the theater or at home?
Nowadays, hometheater system are prety good with wide and huge screen and great quilty of sound. In addition, people could buy a DVD or download movies. A lot of people watch movies at home on the computer or hometheater.

In my case, I like to watch movie in the movie theater than home. I do watch DVDs which I really like the movie to watch it over and over. However, I prefer to going movie because there is more bigger screen than I have. Also I like to watching good movies with others who feel same as me. These are my reasons. What about you?
HoboPelican
Well, I still love going to the theater for a good action or scenic flick. But I hate the crowds. I'm the guy that gets up takes your phone away from you if you try using it in a movie(I give it to the manager). But we usually go to Wednsday early shows and typically we are the only ones in the theater Smile Even during the first week a movie is released, this showing is almost empty.
Chamaleon
Personally, when i really want to see an especific movie, i download it and see it on the computer or buy the DVD. I just go to the theater with friends or my girlfriend to see any movie.
brevity
I don't go to the theatre as often as I would like to see movies because it is such a rip off. I really don't want to pay $20 for me and a friend to see a movie.

I do really enjoy the experience of seeing a movie in the theatre, though, and if the prices were like they were 10 years ago I would go all the time. The last movie I saw in theatres was Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny. It was really good, but I went with a friend to that and another movie in one weekend and ended up spending close to $40 just on the tickets. Ouch.

Anyway, you can get pretty close to the movie experience with home theatres nowadays... but who has the money to invest? I don't. Or the space, really. I like to curl up on the couch and pop in a movie that I love, though, so I can do either equally well. Plus, lately, I've been falling alseep during movies so I hate to go to the theatre and start to fall asleep. I think I've been working too much Very Happy
k10000s
Hi~ everyone~.

I went to movie this moring. Someone said that the movie ticket price is too high, but I paid $6/ticket this morning. The theater has a promotion for early bird on friday and weekend so I could watch movie in cheap price.

I watched "Night at the Museum" which is somewhat kid's movie. However, there are a lot of funny scenes. If you have kids, you should watch it with your happy family~

As I said above, I like to go to the movie theater~~
k10000s
I watched CNN this morning. They asked same question I made here on their website because the Oscars is comming on this Sunday.
Well, a number of people might expect this event, even though a few people answered my question here .... Sad

Every movie lovers~! Enjoy big show on Sunday~!!
KoiboySG1
I almost never go to the theatre. iam watching the movies on dvd.
xorcist
I always go to a theater to watch movies. The only time I watch movies at home is when I like a movie a lot I buy it and then just watch it at home. But I always like it better at the theater. You have all of those people and you get to go around and see people not just sitting in your house and watching a movie by your self or with just a couple of friends.
twisthigh
I like both, at the theatres b/c I'm with my friends and we get all dressed up and it's a fun night out. At home b/c its more comfortable and I have the power to stop/rewind/pause, lol... which is great!
pudovkin
Unfortunatelly, at home.
No time to go to a theater, park the car, buy the ticket, wait for the session, watch finally the film and go home.
(wow, great times those I could do that... hahahaha)
Helios
Watching movies at home Smile
It's cheaper and more convenient for me.
Seiji
I watch all my movies at my house. I usually only watch Korean movies and I've seen so many right here at home. I doubt I could find one showing here in the U.S. besides bid budget movies like The Host or Typhoon.
Eiken
I usually watch my movies at home because they're just easier to watch here, I mean, if I need to get up and do something I can just pause it and not miss anything, plus I just don't really go to theaters that often. That's not to say I don't like watching movies in theaters though, if I really want to see a movie I will, in fact I'll probably go to see "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie For Theaters" in theater.
neosree
As my flat have a perfect home theater, I really like watching movies with my friends in my flat, more than in theaters. We adjust the lights according to the genere of movie, some horrer movies with no lights at all Exclamation

When blueray and hddvd come to life, and becoming more affordable, We plan to buy a combo drive player, and an HDTV to support it. Watching movies at home will never be so crystal clear.

But when watching bollywood movies I prefer theater for some reasons. It is prefered to go theater with a lot of friends and enjoy.
mattyj
i prefer watching movies at home for a few reasons

1) Its CHEAPER, and i mean a lot cheaper the co$t of going to the cinemas these days is unreal Sad

2) No annoying people talking thru the movie

3) Convenience; you can pause if you need a toilet break, drink etc
NinyaEvu
I watch all my movies at home for these simple reasons -

- Saves money (always a plus)
- No annoying people (the theaters always consist of these people)
- No need to travel Razz
desertwind
I prefer going to theaters. Even though i do watch 5-10 movies a week at my home, i love going for movie theater, alone.
Sick-
i watch movies in home. couse its easier Very Happy
Scaramanga
brevity wrote:
I don't go to the theatre as often as I would like to see movies because it is such a rip off. I really don't want to pay $20 for me and a friend to see a movie.

To say nothing of the concessions. I agree, this is the biggest deterrent for me going to the theater. I don't think a movie should cost upwards of $30 for two people, just to enjoy what is invariable going to be a pretty crappy cinematic experience.
xbcd
Scaramanga wrote:
brevity wrote:

To say nothing of the concessions. I agree, this is the biggest deterrent for me going to the theater. I don't think a movie should cost upwards of $30 for two people, just to enjoy what is invariable going to be a pretty crappy cinematic experience.

Yeah i think a dvd is better. You can watch it for a week. With as many people as you please for a flat rate. Although if i can' t wait for a movie to come out then i will go watch it in theaters.
silverdown
Well, for me I prefer home. I do not need a huge T.V. to enjoy a movie. If I can see it, ill watch it. I do not go to movies theaters because

A - Sick people to attend to go there a lot , I have gotten Pneumonia (Wiki) which was not the best in the world from a movie theater.

B - Some people do no know there sick until they are sick, and some sickness as you may already know can spread quick in a enclosed room. I should really ask our theater to get a air sanitizing unit.

C - They are not sanitary due to the some not all but some people who work at them do not clean really well.

At home I know that I will not get sick and that the place is clean and sanitary for me. At least I hope it is. Yes, I have gotten simple sickness but I get through.
cavey
It's nice to see movies at the cinema. I see the best ones there (Lord of the Rings, Superman, Spiderman, Harry Potter etc...). But most of the movies I wait for the DVD/TV and watch at home or at friends. That can be nice too, and you don't have to be bothered with other peoples bad habits...
bluefossil
Theatres are my first bet, But My Hi Def TV and Dvd's and Blue ray are making the Home Experience Much Better.
Even Watching my Extended Edition LOtR in 480p looks on my PS3.
jboy
I perfer watching movies at home, becaus then i save money + I can pause the film if i need to go on the WC. And when i see it home I can see it when i have time Very Happy
mattchun
I would rather to have a project to play movies at home, that's cool.
bigbadjohn
[/quote]Anyway, you can get pretty close to the movie experience with home theatres nowadays... but who has the money to invest? I don't. Or the space, really. I like to curl up on the couch and pop in a movie that I love, though, so I can do either equally well. Plus, lately, I've been falling alseep during movies so I hate to go to the theatre and start to fall asleep. I think I've been working too much [/quote]

I agree with most posters, the movie experience at your local theater is not the ideal way to watch a movie. People talking, smoking, canoodling, many distractions.

I have rigged up a cheap but impressive alternative. I got a projector of ebay at a reasonable price as well as a nicely speced dvd player and speaker system. All for about 300 dollars.

I had an old projector screen and this does the job adequately.

The experience is great and every fortnight a group of us get together to watch the latest movie on release at our local rental shop.

Overall a nice experience.
GSIS
Depends on the movie.

If it's one I really can't wait to see (or one that I know will be far better on a big screen) I'll go see it at the movies. I rarely go on my own so, usually, have to wait until my SO is also in the mood and there's something on she wants to see too.

If it's one I'm in no hurry to see I'll wait until it's on DVD (or even on TV).

I'm not prepared, yet, to spend crazy money on a theatre/surround sound system for my home. If/when I do get a system it'll probably be a projector and ceiling mounted drop-down screen. Chances are I'll wait until something half-decent appears on eBay at a price I'm willing to pay.
molif
either way, as long u get to watch the movie, its fine by me..

no hassle..

watch at a friend's place, its better.. they supply the food and i just plant my ass to watch the movie.. simple as that..
schmidi
right, depends on the movie...

If i want to watch a good (think its good :O) movie, than i go to the cinema. But not, i watch the movie at home on dvd for example...

also only... Wink
Kelcey
I haven't been to the theatre in years... but having an HDTV now doesn't make that a big deal Razz
ryanh2006
I guess it depends on the Movie and the crowd that you want to go with. Although nowadays I prefer having friends over and enjoying movies on my HD telly and home system. The experience is great and nothing beats the comforts of home! You can have a great time, with great food and a great crowd without ever having to step out of the door. However, I do agree that it is sometimes more fun to go out with a crowd to the movies and spend some time there and then go and have dinner somewhere. Sorry about my blubbering on about my life story but I guess its cos I am hungry!! Time to eat i guess Smile
tkGER
theatre!!! if it was free... i usually rent movies and watch them in the computer... no dvd player in the house... so don't even think of a home theatre... Crying or Very sad
rekluzz
Unless there's a blockbuster movie that is just released that I must see, I prefer to stay home.
I've got a home theatre setup that includes a 52" JVC HD TV with a Dolby 7.1 surround sound system. I can dim the lights, put on a DVD, and relax on my leather couch, without being bothered by noisy theater goers. I can pause the movie whenever I want to go take a leak or whatever.
Fake
I watch them at home. Actually u know how a person watches movies at home Smile

it's only a good title taht I will go out to the theatre for.

Mostly home Smile
dinael
If theatre would be free (no cost) it would probably be my home. Very Happy
But since it's not, I don't go that much, although I like the SOUND and
the atmosphere. This year I 've been 3 times, which is a huge step forward
for me, cause usually I go once a year. But who could resist Spidey and Pirates of Carribean.
And this summer I'll probably go again. I like it.