FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem With My Account

Cephalic_Carnage
Apparently, the boards that were set up on my account are completely gone.
http://boards.isb.frih.net/index.php
Was my account deleted? Because I know that someone hacked my account the other day and requested it be deleted.
wumingsden
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Apparently, the boards that were set up on my account are completely gone.
http://boards.isb.frih.net/index.php
Was my account deleted? Because I know that someone hacked my account the other day and requested it be deleted.

http://isb.frih.net wrote:

This account has been suspended.
Either the domain has been overused, or the reseller ran out of resources.

I see an AWIT opened concerning your hosting account but because I am not an account creator, I cannot access the content of it. I can tell however that it was created on: 23/12/06 12:15 am by bondings and I kind of know why it was created. Bondings should contact you shortly through the awit ofr (hopefully) reply to this thread/via private message.
Bondings
Your account (board) was sending huge amounts of emails that all looked like registrations on your forum. This caused the server load to go up a lot and some downtime. That's also why I suspended it. You unfortunately will have to wait a few days before I'll be able to take care of it.
SpellcasterDX
Bondings wrote:
Your account (board) was sending huge amounts of emails that all looked like registrations on your forum. This caused the server load to go up a lot and some downtime. That's also why I suspended it. You unfortunately will have to wait a few days before I'll be able to take care of it.

Yes, this happened to me to, but I was able to stop it fairly quickly. I know why it happens. It's a registration script that registers hundreds of accounts at a time causing the system to send out tons of emails therefore causing the server load to shoot up. We're both working on a fix to prevent that.
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Yes, this happened to me to, but I was able to stop it fairly quickly. I know why it happens. It's a registration script that registers hundreds of accounts at a time causing the system to send out tons of emails therefore causing the server load to shoot up. We're both working on a fix to prevent that.

Both of you used the same forum software, i believe Very Happy

ISB a.k.a a modded version of DiscoBoards
SpellcasterDX
wumingsden wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Both of you used the same forum software, i believe Very Happy

ISB a.k.a a modded version of DiscoBoards

Yes, we do. Very Happy
Cephalic_Carnage
I see, and this was do to the hacker and his registration script correct?
wumingsden
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I see, and this was do to the hacker and his registration script correct?

No, I doubt it has anything at all to do with the hacker that got into your forum account. ISB (a modded version of DiscoBoards) obviously has some major (this "major" is extremely underestimated) problems.
Cephalic_Carnage
Yeah, maybe. I was using The 3.0 Beta Version which seemed to be the most secure version they offered compared to the other ones.
wumingsden
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Yeah, maybe. I was using The 3.0 Beta Version which seemed to be the most secure version they offered compared to the other ones.

Jajajaja, and by beta they mean not stable enough. I encourage you to report the problems you had in their bugtracker (if they have one).
SpellcasterDX
wumingsden wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Jajajaja, and by beta they mean not stable enough. I encourage you to report the problems you had in their bugtracker (if they have one).

Er really, the creator of these modified boards is the one that [created] the spam script. They weren't necessarily the one to riot the boards, but they modify DiscoBoards and they created the spam script. Confused Shocked
Cephalic_Carnage
Which to me makes no sense. I don't see the logic behind giving out scripts to hack your own boards.
wumingsden
SpellcasterDX wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Er really, the creator of these modified boards is the one that [created] the spam script. They weren't necessarily the one to riot the boards, but they modify DiscoBoards and they created the spam script. Confused Shocked

Well, I wouldn't like to be sued, i'm way too young and way too pretty. Do you have any evidence that it's not a bug but is in fact made to do this?
Cephalic_Carnage
wumingsden wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Well, I wouldn't like to be sued, i'm way too young and way too pretty. Do you have any evidence that it's not a bug but is in fact made to do this?

Yeah, I ended up with 41,000 accounts named "YoujustgotownedbyKoG".
SpellcasterDX
wumingsden wrote:
SpellcasterDX wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

If I can find the link again, I'll post it.
It has textboxes where you enter how many accounts you want to create, the link to the boards registration file, email you want to use (it lets it be fake), and what you want the username to be.

EDIT: Found the link after a bit of thinking. http://sbdesigning.com/regspammer.php
wumingsden
GOsh, then there's definitly no doubt about it then.

Bad boy SwitchBlade, bad boy Evil or Very Mad

edited on 24th dec
SpellcasterDX
wumingsden wrote:
GOsh, then there's definitly no doubt about it then.

Bad boy ISB, bad boy Evil or Very Mad

Er what?

The creator of GC Boards, the modified version of DiscoBoards and the creator of the Reg Spam script is SwitchBlade.

ISB is the acronym Cephalic_Carnage chose for his forums...
wumingsden
Yeah, sorry, I'm not quite thinking straight. I blame lack of sleep and being gay, but thats a whole different thread topic.

Something that was psoted in an alert made me think that ISB was the modded name, but this seems to be the way it handles the language of their emails. They should really sort it out.
SpellcasterDX
wumingsden wrote:
Yeah, sorry, I'm not quite thinking straight. I blame lack of sleep and being gay, but thats a whole different thread topic.

Something that was psoted in an alert made me think that ISB was the modded name, but this seems to be the way it handles the language of their emails. They should really sort it out.

Yeah, like I said, GC Boards is the name of the modified version of DiscoBoards. The creator is known as SwitchBlade. He owns the website www.sbdesigning.com .

He created both the registration spam script and GC Boards.

And on DiscoBoards, you can choose an acronym for your boards. It's an option. The default acronym is GC Boards. (obviously. lol. Razz)
Cephalic_Carnage
Yeah, there seems to be alot of problems with it, but as you said, it is "unstable".

Although I have another question. When Bondings fixes this, will my account be in the same condition as before, or will I need to start over?
SpellcasterDX
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Yeah, there seems to be alot of problems with it, but as you said, it is "unstable".

Although I have another question. When Bondings fixes this, will my account be in the same condition as before, or will I need to start over?

I sure hope it's not the latter. Sad
Cephalic_Carnage
Hopefully. But for some reason, my frihost points are still being taken away even though the account is suspended. Is that suposed to happen?
SpellcasterDX
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Hopefully. But for some reason, my frihost points are still being taken away even though the account is suspended. Is that suposed to happen?

Yea cause you're still being hosted, just that you account got suspended. :\
Cephalic_Carnage
That sucks. Well it's not really that bad, I enjoy posting here. Congratulations on becoming a Senior Frihoster BTW.
SpellcasterDX
lol. I don't really like this rank. Razz
Addicted is better. But I need 492 more to reach that. Mad
Cephalic_Carnage
SpellcasterDX wrote:
lol. I don't really like this rank. Razz
Addicted is better. But I need 492 more to reach that. Mad

Maybe, I hated being Frihost wannabe. Anyway, we should get back on-topic.
Bondings
The spam script seems to have been the problem indeed. All those emails were just crashing the server so I really had to stop it.

I now unsuspended your account, but don't let this ever happen again. You are responsible for everything that happens under your account, even if it's not caused by you.

Maybe use a Captcha or some other means to stop the bulk registrations - but definately don't let it stay this way.
SpellcasterDX
Bondings wrote:
The spam script seems to have been the problem indeed. All those emails were just crashing the server so I really had to stop it.

I now unsuspended your account, but don't let this ever happen again. You are responsible for everything that happens under your account, even if it's not caused by you.

Maybe use a Captcha or some other means to stop the bulk registrations - but definately don't let it stay this way.

Don't worry, we're (Cephalic_Carnage and I) working on a way to stop it. For now, we disabled registration to prevent this.