FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

graphics card upgrade for Vista

mrblah
Does anybody know what would be a middle of the road graphics card that will work well with Vista? I don't play a lot of games but just want a higher hardware rating out of my graphics card.

I have RC2 running and I'm only at 2 for my graphics.
TheGeek
What are the specs of your computer right now? Graphics card specifically.
{name here}
mrblah wrote:
Does anybody know what would be a middle of the road graphics card that will work well with Vista? I don't play a lot of games but just want a higher hardware rating out of my graphics card.

I have RC2 running and I'm only at 2 for my graphics.

Pickup any graphics card that will run on your box from a Best Buy or CompUSA or somewhere like that. Most of them should work with Vista.
diduknowthat
First off, do you have pci-express slot? Agp? Pci?

Also, how much do you want to spend on this card. For something cheap, i'll look at the x1300, 7300gs or the 7600gs for a bit more.
pashmina
i think geforce 256mb would be good for windows vista, besides it comes in a cheap price too.
mrblah
I have a 2.8ghz HT machine with a gig of ram and a Geforce 5300.

TheGeek wrote:
What are the specs of your computer right now? Graphics card specifically.
TheGeek
Ok, so I'm assuming you have an AGP slot. A good card for vista that works on AGP would be the GeForce 6600GT or 6800GT (I think they make the 6800 in AGP, but I know they do for the 6600). Check out this link for a full list of different levels of users with recommended specs for each level.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-6671810.html?tag=promo1
Helios
He can also take the x1950PRO AGP version and live with it for a year or two Smile
ForceRun
Helios wrote:
He can also take the x1950PRO AGP version and live with it for a year or two Smile

That is quite a bit of video card and cost quite a bit too.
Get at least Geforce7 or later
I would say the 7600GT $145 stock, down to $65 on sale, can easily give you a 5 for visita, and has enough power to last you a while.
TheGeek
Basing just on what Cnet says you only need a 6600 (like i suggested before) However, I have a 7600GT PCI-E and got a 4 on the scale so...eh
diduknowthat
TheGeek wrote:
Ok, so I'm assuming you have an AGP slot. A good card for vista that works on AGP would be the GeForce 6600GT or 6800GT (I think they make the 6800 in AGP, but I know they do for the 6600). Check out this link for a full list of different levels of users with recommended specs for each level.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-6671810.html?tag=promo1

Those are all good cards, but they're old, and the 6800gt is half impossible to find. I would reconmend the 7600gt for a decent agp card.