FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Criticism

dfunkt
Why are people so quick to criticise? Not just constructive criticism, but sometimes people are just down right rude. I was reading in one of the other forums about stumbleupon.com. Someone started the post saying that it's a great site and the first reply was someone saying, "So what your saying is it's a search engine.." I mean, the person who initialized the post was obviously enthusiastic about it, happy that they'd found something that they were interested in, and all the person who replied could do was downplay it. Basically saying it's no big deal, it's just another search engine. I thought that was kind of rude, but i'm kind of sensitive too. Not to mention i'm quite hypocritical because I catch myself doing that type of thing too, depending on my mood.
DoctorBeaver
stumbleupon isn't a search engine. You tell what sort of things you like and it brings up random sites concerned with those subjects. You get the chance to say "like" or "dislike" to each site it gives you so it learns what sites to present you with as it goes along.

I use it quite a lot when I'm just browsing the net not looking for anything in particular. I've found some really good sites that way.
HoboPelican
Yeah, I remember that topic and I thought the response was fairly rude totally missed the point of the post. And you're right, it happens a lot and I have been guilty of it myself. Luckily, there are some reasonable people around here who gently correct me at those times. Wink

I think often it is a combination of a bad day, a sensitive topic and lack of (or too much) caffeine. Of course, some people are just insecure and try to offset that by slamming other people.
madsencarl
come on guys, criticizing people is fun as.
Liu
I find those who are quick to criticize and correct are often self-conscious. Usually they're just trying to make themselves better by trying to find fault in others.
HDirtwater
Criticizing is easy. Anyone can do it. Looking in the mirror is a whole different story though.

Online forums are rife with bullies. Anyone can be tough behind a computer. There's a little of that going around here. A keyboard is a great way to say what you want to say without the worry of someone bashing your face in when you say it. Therefore, you see a lot of snarky and rude posts quite often.

On that note, you all suck like a chest wound...... Laughing

Happy Holidays to all!! Dancing
GameFreak
One must not just keep picking out the faults of others ..... he should try finding the faults in himself and then trying to improve himself ....
hofodomo01
You see something that somebody does dead wrong...what else are you to do...
Captain Fertile
hofodomo01 wrote:
You see something that somebody does dead wrong...what else are you to do...

You are correct and there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself when it is required but certain people on every forum make a career out of having a dig at others and always being negative to others.

We all see them and we usually work out who they are pretty quickly. Even if someone insults your deeply held beliefs you should remain calm and respectful, when they attack you personally this is made more difficult.

That is why all forums have a code of etiquette for us to follow but some people just have to have a dig here and there. It's the way they are made I guess.

I too recall the post you mention and I felt the reply was a little blunt. The thing with this forum is that unless you make a good point in your post people may say your post as spam (even in replies) to get more points for doing nothing, maybe this was what was the reason behind the reply or maybe just someone having a bad day - we all have them. Very Happy
raaeft1
I cannot stand criticism from my wife especially when it is over petty household chores. I feel that she should do her own work and not depend on me for doing even kitchen work. It hurts all the more when she starts harping on one thing or the other. This spoils the mood as well as the family harmony.
JessieF
HDirtwater wrote:

On that note, you all suck like a chest wound...... Laughing

Yeah, yeah, whatever. x.x

Quote:
Not to mention i'm quite hypocritical because I catch myself doing that type of thing too, depending on my mood.

I'm quite rude myself, at times, but lately I think I've been doing better. I year or so ago, I loved to start fights on forums, etc. Now, I'm just the weird "happy" person. Almost always there's a smiley in my post. Razz I feel it makes my words seem much "brighter" or "happier"(that's proper grammar, etc, right. x.x I'm obsessed with proper grammar/spelling, etc).

I'm hypocritical whenever I sit and complain about someone else's rude comment. Because then I tend to get rude. (Hasn't happened in a while, Very Happy)

Quote:
stumbleupon isn't a search engine. You tell what sort of things you like and it brings up random sites concerned with those subjects. You get the chance to say "like" or "dislike" to each site it gives you so it learns what sites to present you with as it goes along.

I use it quite a lot when I'm just browsing the net not looking for anything in particular. I've found some really good sites that way.

Hmm, really, I have to try that out! xD

Quote:
a sensitive topic and lack of (or too much) caffeine

I can easily understand "lack of caffeine". I'm addicted to caffeine and often get headaches (a symptom of addiction ;-; ) and I get real cranky and moody. Now, I wouldn't understand someone who has had too much caffeine and acts rude. When I have too much I go crazy and hyper.(Of course, there's bound to be someone out there that thinks acting crazy and hyper is rude, so, Crying or Very sad ) Basically I become the life of the 'party' at the time. Very Happy
(I'm drinking some Dr. Pepper right now! Yummy caffeine, yum, yum! My mom needs to stop buying them, I have no self-control when it comes to caffeine.

MUUUhhahhahha, toodles, and happy holidays!
Peredhil-Lover
I agree with you guys, I catch myself critisizing other people before looking at the good things. I also get annoyed by how quick people are to critisize. Maybe it's human nature... I don't know. I generally get annoyed with bad grammar or people talking in text talk.
RhysAndrews
Those who criticize spend their whole day finding places on the net that they can try to own. They waste the day criticizing others to put them down and bring themselves up, instead of quietly and humbly building themselves up, as a slow process but much more beneficial in the long run. To put it simply, it's too easy to criticize, much more easier than to construct.

-Rhys
spazbutt32
We all do it sometimes.. whether it be a bad mood, for fun or just because we can. However, I find that most Internet-goers either find fun in making others angry, or feel that by making people feel worse, they will feel better.

This is not usually the case.