FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

gpedit

pashmina
My computer has a lots of user, so basically i want to assign rights using the gpedit in the win xp. I want to disable task manager and many stuffs so that my files remains safe. any views
techquest
Me want to do the same. Hope someone knows how to do it.
flameboy1974
Here is a basic GPedit Tutorial:
#1 You must be logged in as that user and they must be an admin to chage settings that effect them (you can make them not an admin later)
#2 make sure you are changing settings in "user settings" unless you want to apply changes to all users.

open gpedit and go to user settings.
open the admin templates section
open the control panel section
this is the main section where you want to change settings for most users.
All setting can be enabled or disabled

make sure the user you want to change is an admin or power user. Then do the GPEDIT changes under the user. Now change them back to wheatever user status you want them to be.

Your done
pashmina
flameboy1974 wrote:
Here is a basic GPedit Tutorial:
#1 You must be logged in as that user and they must be an admin to chage settings that effect them (you can make them not an admin later)
#2 make sure you are changing settings in "user settings" unless you want to apply changes to all users.

open gpedit and go to user settings.
open the admin templates section
open the control panel section
this is the main section where you want to change settings for most users.
All setting can be enabled or disabled

make sure the user you want to change is an admin or power user. Then do the GPEDIT changes under the user. Now change them back to wheatever user status you want them to be.

Your done

thanks it helped, i didn't know that i should log in with the admin to edit all these stuffs.
actually after i made my new account with my name the administrator user name didn't appear. so this might had caused the problem..
Bones
The only other thing to keep in mind is that gpedit.msc is only available on XP Pro, not XP Home.
KoXaL
GPEDIT.MSC (Group Policy Editor) isn't available on XP Home Edition, partly because XP Home cannot join a domain by design. Although the took is designed to be used in an Enterprise environment running Active Directory, all it really does is making registry entries. So, the best alternative is to edit the registry using Regedit. Be aware that editing the registry incorrectly can make your system unbootable or cause other issues, so proceed carefully before diving in!