FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ntldr file missing

pashmina
Lately my computer caught with the virus named brontok. I removed with the AVG virus scan. It got removed. but when i restart my system i got his message

Quote:
NTLDR file is missing
Press any key to restart the system

Some one please help me with this. [/quote]
corey
Sounds like you're missing your boot loader. Get out your Windows CD and put it in your CD drive. Boot up with it (change your BIOS to boot the CD first if you have to) and when it finally (gawd its slooooow) gets to the end, where you cn install, select "r" for recovery console. Choose to work with the C:Windows installation (or whatever drive yours is on) and put in your administrator password. Then type
Code:
fixboot
and enter. Agree to the warning. Type
Code:
fixmbr
and hit enter. That should restore the missing boot loader. Reboot your computer without the CD (by typing "exit", I think). You should be back in action.
ezekiel_rage
corey wrote:
Sounds like you're missing your boot loader. Get out your Windows CD and put it in your CD drive. Boot up with it (change your BIOS to boot the CD first if you have to) and when it finally (gawd its slooooow) gets to the end, where you cn install, select "r" for recovery console. Choose to work with the C:Windows installation (or whatever drive yours is on) and put in your administrator password. Then type
Code:
fixboot
and enter. Agree to the warning. Type
Code:
fixmbr
and hit enter. That should restore the missing boot loader. Reboot your computer without the CD (by typing "exit", I think). You should be back in action.

Or if you have a windows 98 bootdisk. you can also try to issue this command

fdisk /mbr

it will reset/reinstall a default boot sector

it may not do a deeper fix than that of fixboot but at least it will be quicker than waiting for your Windows XP recovery console.

but if fdisk /mbr fails then you have no choice but to use Windows XP recovery console.

I have tried this in wiping out out grub or lilo on some systems that i have recommissioned for Windows.

Just my suggestion.
pashmina
thanks... it really helped me...
KoXaL
Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.
Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.
Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.
Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.
Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.
New hard disk drive being added.
Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.
Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.