FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Politician - is it a bad job?

pashmina
I strongly feel politician isn't a very bad job after all. I see nowadays people avoiding to be a politicians. Politics can be a very good job if a person is good, and he can also develop, and if he is truly devoted to it. Many many people have a negative views in being a politician.

This issue is to be thought throughly.
dray101
I guess it depends what kind of job you're into in the first place

It would also depend on where you where practicing politics (what country state etc) and what position you had....

and finally how high you morals are and how much you want to get things done, because everything takes AGES in politics and normally ALOT of time and trouble

basically I don't think you can really generalise politics because it's very different for different people and in different places

it might be a good you 4 u though Wink
SlowWalkere
As mentioned before, "politics" depends very much on where you live and where you intend to practice. For example, NJ state politics (state legislator of governor) are very different from North Dakota state politics, and they are all different from national politics (i.e. senator or congressman).

Is politics a good job? I've thought about it, and I was a political science major in college. I am very interested in politics and political theory, but I am still undecided about whether or not to pursue electoral politics for the following reasons...

It seems like a noble profession, but things get done very slowly, things get done by compromise, and your principals never really exist. In some ways, "bipartisanship" is a good thing - you're getting along with and compromising with the other party. On the other hand, on some issues you both end up with a result that no one likes because each had to compromise their principles. Watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

It can be cutthroat. Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey just went through a cut-throat campaign for US Senator. Afterwards, he advised his daughter not to go into politics because of the brutality of the field. American politics, across the nation and across its history, has been notorious for this type of personal attack politics. Getting elected is more about promoting and image than promoting a platform, so to prevent the other guy from getting elected you attack his image. Look around the latest election for other examples - the Virginia Senator race (the "macaca" incident), or the recent criticism of the Keith Ellison (the new Muslim congressman from Minnesota) by Virgil Goode (the Congressman from Virginia).

Especially at the national level, tt can be hard on you and hard on your family. Senators and Congressmen, for instance, spend most of their time in Washington DC. Does the family live there, or at home? Lots of time is chewed up by election campaigns and tours.

Anyhow, those are a few reasons why I would not get into politics. But it's hardly the final thought on the topic. Just some things to keep in mind.

- Walkere
ediedi
Politicians run Federal, State, and local governments. They are the Nation's chief executives and legislators. They get their jobs by being elected. They make and pass laws that affect all of us. It can't be that bad, for the politician I mean.
In case any of you didn't know, a typical politician's primary job is not to serve the people who elected him. His primary job is to get himself (or herself) elected or re-elected. Second job is to reward all those contributors that gave $$ to help him get elected. Third is to get as many perks & benefits as he can while he is in office. Last on the list is the common person like you & I.

What happens is that anything that the politician has promised, said they would do, or otherwise look into during the campaign is promptly forgotten, and we, as the stupid idiots that we are, forget right along with them. That is, until the next time re-election comes up... Then it's the "other party's" fault for putting up roadblocks, vetoes, filibusters, yadda, yadda, yadda as to why they couldn't fulfill their promises.
bigdan
Being a politician is the biggest rip-off scheme you can pull, and you don't even need to be intelligent to do it! Look at our Communications Minister. Lives up to the reputation of being a dumb blonde perfectly.

Our State pollies aren't much better either.
xj975
bigdan wrote:
Being a politician is the biggest rip-off scheme you can pull, and you don't even need to be intelligent to do it! Look at our Communications Minister. Lives up to the reputation of being a dumb blonde perfectly.

Our State pollies aren't much better either.

He said it perfectly, politics is just a large scam.

Elect people to serve your a set period of time, they do what they want in office and get elected or not a few years down the road, regardless theyve made their money and a name for themselves.

Noble profession? I think not, but definitely money in it.
Coclus
I think it is a bad job for yourself if your not totally devoted to it.. You hardly have any free time, every word you utter counts, your privacy is taken away, many have to spend their own money on campaigns... So if you do it you must love all this...
sondosia
I don't think being a politician is a "bad job", but it does have some disadvantages that other jobs don't. For example, you may lose your sensitivity because of all the things you have to deal with every day.

However, I don't see why people always pick on politicians for that? Aren't businesspeople just the same? Anyone who's job doesn't really involve helping people (such as doctors and such) won't be the most sensitive to people's needs. That's a given.

Personally, I'd never want to be a politician, even though politics interests me a lot. There are people who are well suited for it, and I'm not one of them.

~M~
DeathPact
well it's difficult to become a politician but you can achieve it through many ways, most of which ussually include immoral decisions for your personal profit. As a job, it's not bad but getting there ussually is
cvdem
I think that you can be politically active without being a paid politician, if that gets to your question. But in general, I think that it could be a good job.
dizel
politic? I small hater Laughing
mstreet
I think being a politician is a thank-less job. It's a noble job but thank-less and one needs to be prepared for that. I don't really think that just because one has a law degree that makes them a better politician than a farmer though. Don't ever think that a poli-sci degree will get you into politics it will help you understand it a lot more but it is very rare that you actually meet a politician with a poli-sci degree.
pashmina
mstreet wrote:
I think being a politician is a thank-less job. It's a noble job but thank-less and one needs to be prepared for that. I don't really think that just because one has a law degree that makes them a better politician than a farmer though. Don't ever think that a poli-sci degree will get you into politics it will help you understand it a lot more but it is very rare that you actually meet a politician with a poli-sci degree.

I totally agree with you.
thealpha
i also agree with you.
but being a politician is challenging