FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

ddukki
This one's by Tom Stoppard and a spoof of Shakespeare's Hamlet. I won't reveal too much, but it's about two characters' back stories in the book. It's very witty and hilariously nonsensical. I don't often like reading plays, but I couldn't help but laugh every five lines or so. Really fast read. Almost wish it was longer ... No, I do.
TurtleShell
did you ever read anything else by Tom Stoppard? I particularly enjoyed Arcadia. I never read R&G are Dead, but I did see the movie:) Enjoyed it quite a bit:)
evanc88
This was part of my english class syllabus we've yet to read it. I've actually heard that it's terrible boring, but I find that hard to believe considering its reputation.
TurtleShell
Maybe the person who told you it was terribly boring just didn't feel like concentrating when they were reading/watching it. It's very clever and very funny, but it requires extra thought. I'm guessing it's not like the kind of thing you read through quickly. You have to work for the reward.
Or maybe it just wasn't their cup of tea.
missdixy
My English teacher keeps suggesting this to me and I think I will buy it some time. ^^
Liambaby
It is a most excellent book. Whoever said it was boring is probably more suited to Harry Potter Razz It is not so much a spoof of Hamlet, more the story form the point of view of two minor characters. Incredibly well written.
lyddi8
I might have to revisit R&G.

When i studied it in high school, i have to say that i didn't find it that funny-- It was more interesting on the stage...

Maybe it was the whole dog-chasing tail, flipping coin futility of it that just doesn't sit well when you are stressing about exams & have little time to be considering the greater scheme of the universe haha.
evanc88
I've read Hamlet, watched two of the films, and studied up on it a bit. I'm going to read Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead soon, because it was taken off of my class syllabus, which isn't good I guess.