FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cannot open regedit!

tumpat
i have problem to open my regedit...

i open RUN in start menu,then i type regedit..
but it show this message...

' regedit is not a valid Win32 application. '

what is it?
it be like that after my computer was infected by a virus named brontok...
what should i do?
otiscom
What windows os are you running?
Have you cleaned out the virus?

The virus makes some changes to the registry, and could have screwed regedit up!
ORVAL
try Regedt32. It opens the reg too.
If it is not working:
check your user rightsµ
run a good antivirus ( some of them block the access to the registry to avoid to be scratched out)
tumpat
i'm used windows xp...
i have scan the virus with bitdefender internet security 10..

there are no virus in my computer..

but regedit still not working...
mustaq
otiscom wrote:
What windows os are you running?
Have you cleaned out the virus?

The virus makes some changes to the registry, and could have screwed regedit up!

hey , it's virus attack check out wheather you are able to see hiden folder ?

if not you have consider using other virus scanner , more likly virus first hit the registry , or you check out with start up file's
BladeRunner
It's classic virus behaviour.

Try an free online scan at: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
bcarasco
I disagree with the above people, I do not think it is a virus attack. This happened on my old computer, which is most likely virus free ( I ran a virus scan and spyware scan disk fragment every week and avoided virus associated websites/downloads.) I fixed it by either going to run and typing in regedit.exe instead of just regedit or going into the windows directory or system 32 directory and actually opening it manually from the folder.
KoXaL
you will also find a folder in Windows called Prefetch You can delete all the files in there. the file Regedit.exe.1b606-482pf can be found there. so delete it
IceCreamTruck
I did the same thing to myself when I first got my laptop and Windows XP professional. I went to microsoft.com and downloaded the TweekUI powertoy for windows, and in there you have settings that determine registry security. You can litterally switch some registry options that will seem harmless in TweekUI, but will stop RegEdit from opening. Useful if you are having trouble with persistant viruses because you can turn off registry "editing mode" but a pain in the butt if you are trying to open the registry in order to do some clean-up.

Check TweekUI anyway as an option to turn regedit back on if it has indeed been turned off by a virus. Otherwise be thankful that you've followed good back-up procedures, and reinstalling your whole system and files is a short task.
budazz
Check it maybe youve been attacked by a virus....sometimes virus tends to disable your pc to access "regedit" way to let the virus stay in your unit... because some viruses can be removed using regedit..manually
mayank_abhishek
Maybe try out system restore or restore regedit manually, regedit can't go missing. If it does nothing will work. Maybe regedit is just corrupted, try restoring. Smile
turbosquid
Im not sure that if RegEdit is deleted or otherwise that it would cause nothing to work? You certainly would not be able to edit the system registry.
On my XP-sp2 system regedit.exe is located in the following locations :-

C:\Windows\regedit.exe
C:\Windpws\I386\regedit.exe

first check to see if these files exist on your system. If not then youve more than likely been attacked by a virus, do a virus scan with the newest Virus scanner updates. Also try one of the following scanners for any Mallware / Spyware infections :-

Lavasoft AdAware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

Spybot Search And Destroy
http://www.spybot.info/

If you find the Regedit.exe files are indeed missing you should be able to copy them back from your original XP installation CD, i think that you can find REGEDIT.EXE in the I386 folder on the CD. Unfortunately i don't have my CD to hand so cannot confirm this i correct.

TurboSquid
johnsonap
Though this maybe the same problem i am having, but it sint quite - my regedit opens for about 3seconds before closing itself, am i looking at a virus in this instance? (didnt want to open a new log incase it got closed for asking a question on the same topic)
vaoger
try to run this
Quote:

sfc /scannow

window cd ( sp1 and SP 2) might required...
jood
HI,

I have the same problem of Tumpat

that I cannot open my regedit

I am not that good in computer but I what did is:

1- go to Run write msconfig then go to Services then remove the mark from DNS Client

2- go to Run write GPEDIT.MSC then on Local Computer Policy click on User Configuration
then click on Administrative Templates then click on System then go and click on Prevent access to registry editing tools then click on Not configured

then close all windows

3- go to Run write regedit and the Registry Editor windows will open

I hope this will work with you[/b]
jmfernandez
If you cannot open your Regedit program, you might probably infected by a computer virus. First, try to update your Anti-virus program. Second, run the Anti-virus and scan the location where your Windows is installed. If virus was found, clean or delete it. Go to quarantine and delete all found virus. Restart your computer and try to run the Regedit.

If it doesn't work, try to use a registry cleaner like PC Doctor. If it doesn't work too reinstall your Windows.
ankur209
RUn a good antivirus..!!
Its probably because of a virus !!
passager33
If you can't run the file do the following:
Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, highlight it and click Open.
FunDa
tumpat wrote:
i'm used windows xp...
i have scan the virus with bitdefender internet security 10..

there are no virus in my computer..

but regedit still not working...

Use Windows Explorer and browse to the file and see if regedit.exe is there in your computer

In Windows XP computer, you have to go to

My Computer > C: > Windows > regedit.exe

Double click on it and see it regedit opens.

If that does not work, look for regedt32 in C: > Windows > System32 > regedt32.exe

If both of them do not work, I would say that it is probably a virus which is nt detectable by your current antivirus
achowles
While I'm sure tumpat has appreciated your help over the years, well that's just it. This thread is years old now. He's probably got a whole new computer for one thing.

I think this thread should probably be locked now.
tamilparks
ankur209 wrote:
RUn a good antivirus..!!
Its probably because of a virus !!
IceCreamTruck
I was reading this topic because it has new posts, and was amazed that I had already commented ... in 2007!!! lol, I agree that it may be time to close this topic or lock it up.

If he's still unable to open regedit there is no hope for him! lol
therimalaya
Try removing virus, and try opening the regedit.exe file in windows folder in your system drive. That will certainly solve the problem.
gabrielcastillo
I would run malwarebytes.. this is a free program and works great!!! I have been using for years.

Also if you can pull your HD out and plug in to another computer with a dongle and do the virus and malware scan, this keeps any virus's attached to the OS from running .
iyepes
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I was reading this topic because it has new posts, and was amazed that I had already commented ... in 2007!!! lol, I agree that it may be time to close this topic or lock it up.

If he's still unable to open regedit there is no hope for him! lol

I didn't realize this was so old, until some of you mentioned it. I'll start checking dates of post before answering Smile I was going to answer "boot on safe mode" Smile
IceCreamTruck
chinnilax wrote:
hi friends,

Here you can find all your regular problems solution, this may help your all administration,
i have added max valuable posts and tips for system administraton,

For registry tips please visit
http://regedit-tips.blogspot.com
Thanks
laxman

http://laxmanmcse.blogspot.com Technical help for a system administrator
http://chinnilax.blogspot.com for downlaod some mobile softwares

... well it goes on and on my friends! Some people started singing with out knowing what it was... and they'll continue singing it forever just because this is the song that never ends... well it goes on and on my friends..

Wait... this is new. Smells like spam! Are you spamming us chinnilax?
airh3ad
Hi please use good anti virus and full scan your computer. maybe its disable the virus and your machine is infected.
IceCreamTruck
airh3ad wrote:
Hi please use good anti virus and full scan your computer. maybe its disable the virus and your machine is infected.

It's like a black hole of a computer problem that you can just keep throwing solutions at year after year, when we all really know the best solution is wipe the system clean and reinstall a backup! Oh yeah! that's right! What? lmao ... this thread is killing me! It's gotten really funny!

Somebody make it stop! ROFL
FunDa
------------------------------ATTENTION----------------------------

Issue has been solved. Do Not Reply

------------------------------ATTENTION----------------------------
Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Finished
Arrow El Stop reply
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Idea Idea Did it work ?
IceCreamTruck
FunDa wrote:

Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Finished
Arrow El Stop reply
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Idea Idea Did it work ?

Nothing can stop this thread. It's the energizer bunny of threads... it keeps going and going and going
achowles
Well you never know, the OP may have been in a coma all these years and was never able to solve the problem. So keep posting guys! I'm sure your input is very valuable to solving this archaic problem.
IceCreamTruck
achowles wrote:
coma all these years and was never able to solve the problem.

lol, oh yeah, I forgot I posted a problem a few years ago. Might be time to go look at the answer! Smile How hopeless would it be if this guy was actually still experiencing this issue.

Even if he has been in a coma we should all chip in to buy him a new computer. This computer has got to be horribly slow and outdated at this point. It might even be a computer brand that isn't made any more... like Packard-bell. It could be a disappearing, reappearing computer brand like Compaq.

For sure we're his only hope because it's undoubtedly unsupported hardware, so maybe we'll actually solve his problem in the next few replies to his problem. Smile Keep posting guys... we almost got this! lmao