FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Permalinks

garionw
I am currently coding my own web-based applications for my site using php and mysql. Some of the features includes Blogs and forums.

Rather than have the old, boring http://mysite.com/forums/viewtopic?topic=121212, I would much rather have something like http://mysite.com/forums/scripting/php_mysql/how_to_create_permalinks Much like Wordpress does.

I have believe it has something to do with my .htaccess file, but have no idea on how to setup it up and use it. Could someone please tell me how to set this up and how it works, so that it can easily be adapted into different parts of my site.

Thanks in Advance,
Garion
deepak
First you have to be sure than your host have mod_rewrite(in 98% of cases it is already installed).

Second, go to google and search for "Mod Rewrite Manual"
Stubru Freak
And please note that mod_rewrite (AFAIK) can't access a database, so you will have to point it to a PHP script which does this and then fetches the right topic somehow. This could get hard to implement in phpBB (but not sure).

I'm a senior Frihoster now!
garionw
Ok thanks for that, I decided just to go with an id (It would also save doubling up)

What I would like to do now is have a subdomain off one site point to another site alltogether. Heres what I mean:

download.gwplus.net/ would be a cloak of fredssite.com/files/. I don't want it to redirect, just point to it.

Thanks in advance
Garion