FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OS or is it something else...

tomahawk19
Ok,

I just finished building a comp and I've had something happen I've never seen before. First off, here's what's in it...

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 3800+
ASUS M2N4-SLI
Kingston PC 4200
2 SATA Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB
Sony DVD-RW
XFX GeForce 7600GT
Antec 350W PSU
32 in 1 Memory Card Reader

Now that you know the specs, here's the problem. I loaded it with Media Center Edition, which is what was asked for it. It booted and ran fine for the first 2 days, then decided that upon boot, it couldn't find the boot disk. So I put the media center cd in to format-reinstall, but missed pressing enter to enter setup, and it boot straight up to the windows install that was already there. I need to know why it's giving this "cannot find boot disk, please insert and press enter to continue" message. I'm trying to decide if the motherboard is bad, or if its something completely different. Any responses to get me thinking, or if someone has had this exact problem, please let me know ASAP. Thanks for all your help.
ezekiel_rage
tomahawk19 wrote:
Ok,

I just finished building a comp and I've had something happen I've never seen before. First off, here's what's in it...

AMD Athlon 64 AM2 3800+
ASUS M2N4-SLI
Kingston PC 4200
2 SATA Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB
Sony DVD-RW
XFX GeForce 7600GT
Antec 350W PSU
32 in 1 Memory Card Reader

Now that you know the specs, here's the problem. I loaded it with Media Center Edition, which is what was asked for it. It booted and ran fine for the first 2 days, then decided that upon boot, it couldn't find the boot disk. So I put the media center cd in to format-reinstall, but missed pressing enter to enter setup, and it boot straight up to the windows install that was already there. I need to know why it's giving this "cannot find boot disk, please insert and press enter to continue" message. I'm trying to decide if the motherboard is bad, or if its something completely different. Any responses to get me thinking, or if someone has had this exact problem, please let me know ASAP. Thanks for all your help.

A few questions.

have you checked the cables to the disks? They may be loose. Try removing them and then put them back in firmly.

You said that you have SATA drives. and most probably you have set your boot priority to boot the optical drive first.

It could be that you have a CD/DVD inside your Sony DVD-RW and the BIOS tried to boot from CD/DVD and not finding any system in it gave you that error messsage.

Hope this helps.
blueray
If I'am not wrong. Windows XP Media Center Edition should be not available for x64 version. So, this is a quick check there are two items that should made this issues risk.

1.) AMD X64 CPU and it's BIOS ( mainly the BIOS )
2.) SATA drive
3.) Windows XP Media Center Edition

please let me know if this does help Smile

Hope this help,
Eric,
tomahawk19
SOLVED:

Here's what happened. For some VERY STRANGE reason, after installing a few updates, the BIOS boot order got changed and was set to the 2nd SATA HDD. The boot order is the 3 1/2 floppy, DVD RW, Hard Drive. There was no CD/DVD in the optical drive, but because it was set to boot from SATA 2 first, it couldn't find the OS which was on SATA 1. I did not find this out till after I unplugged everything (the floppy, cd drive, memory card reader, and other hard drive) and it finally booted properly. I wound up plugging everything back in before each reboot to find the problem child, and it was just a simple BIOS setting. I feel like an idiot sometimes. Why I wasn't able to figure that out the day before I don't know. But anyway, if anyone else has this problem, here's my solution.

Note: Just because it's an x64 processor doesn't mean it won't run x86 compliant systems. It just means it supports an x64 OS and programs.
Animal
tomahawk19 wrote:
SOLVED:

-close-