FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CD Drive

snowboardalliance
A lot of times I put CDs in the drive and it doesn't do ANYTHING for a while. I have to take the CD out and put it in again a few times before it realizes there is a CD. Any tips on fixing this/what is causing this?
CrimsonStrange
I've had that problem in the past and, in my case, the culprit turned out to be a software driver that was loading and completely taking over control of the CD-ROM drive. (Quintessential Player) I couldn't look at any files on the CD through Windows Explorer while it was running. Once I shut down the program that was associated with the driver, my CD-ROM spun the disc up and read just fine.

Of course, it's always possible that the CD-ROM drive itself is simply wearing out, loose belts within the mechanism, etc.
But before you spend money on a new one, maybe try a new Audio Player program, or simply make sure any program that accesses the CD-ROM drive is closed before trying to load up a CD.

Best of luck, snowboardalliance!

Hope it turns out to be something really simple. Wink
varun_dodla
Common problems that might cause this are associated with the IDE cable. Try using a new IDE cable. This won't cost you much but is worth trying. Also make sure that the contacts of power plug at the rear end of the CD Drive are in a good condition.

Hope this helps....
Handyman
Why not just get a new DL dvd-rw drive. Moste places have them for under $30 now.
ronald.helpdesk
snowboardalliance wrote:
A lot of times I put CDs in the drive and it doesn't do ANYTHING for a while. I have to take the CD out and put it in again a few times before it realizes there is a CD. Any tips on fixing this/what is causing this?

The simpliest, most of time, is the best choice, when fixing is the issue, have you tried a lens cleaner in your cd-rom??? or, is there anything interesant about the media you're using you haven't told us yet?? try the basics of the problem, and go clearing up stuff one by one, from the lowest effort to the maximum.
turbosquid
It is possible that the heads on the CD-ROM are faulty this can also cause the same symptoms that you discribe. Also check the faults listed above eg. IDE cables, and drivers.
Also i believe that most optical drives have a switch of some sort that detects that the tray is closed and tells the drive to spin-up, it maybe a small microswitch of an optical emitter/receiver combo. You could try taking a look at these depending on how much you know about electronics.

TurboSquid
snowboardalliance
Just to be clear, it works fine normally, just that it sometimes will not respond to a new CD until I've opened and closed the drive one or more times.
So could this still be caused by those problems listed?
IDE cable or something?

[quote=turbosquid]Also i believe that most optical drives have a switch of some sort that detects that the tray is closed and tells the drive to spin-up[/quote]
Sounds like the problem I'm having, but I don't think I know enough about electronics as you said to start messing around with that.

I'll look for new drivers when I get time then check all my connections at some point.

Thanks
Alias
that case happened to me last 3 months, I put a CD on my CDROM Drive and nothing happens the CDROM doesn't read the CD. What I did is I use a Lens Cleaner CD, I insert it to the CDROM and perform the cleaning methods. Also I check some of my IDE cables to make sure that it is properly plug. After that when I put again my CD it now works! Smile Probably the problem is neither the Lens of your CDROM is dirty or your IDE cable is not connected properly to your CDROM.
snowboardalliance
I think it is solved. I went to the Lite On site and got an updated firmware and ran it. After a restart it seemed to work fine but I won't know until I've been using it for a while. Thanks for all the help.
frih
i think your cd-rom is very old.you need to run cd cleaner on it to fix the problems for 4-5 times .if problem still exists then try to reconnect cd-rom cables again.if it still exists then you need to get new cd-rom..

byeeeee
abhi Laughing
ssthanapati
turbosquid wrote:
It is possible that the heads on the CD-ROM are faulty this can also cause the same symptoms that you discribe.
Also i believe that most optical drives have a switch of some sort that detects that the tray is closed and tells the drive to spin-up, it maybe a small microswitch of an optical emitter/receiver combo. You could try taking a look at these depending on how much you know about electronics.

TurboSquid

I aslso suspect this may b the case or u c if it is bein caused by a software. IDE cables shouldnt b the culprit here