FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Router Frequency

orcaz
Hi, I was looking around my router configuration page after changing the firmware to HyperWRT. Does frequency affect the speed of wireless connections or sth, or there is no significance in the different channels?
Animal
As far as I know, the frequency is dictated by the Wi-Fi standard itself. 802.11g runs on the 2.4GHz frequency, and it has (I think) 11 channels within that frequency. You can change the channels to prevent contention with other nearby wireless networks. However, changing the actual frequency is likely to stop the router working with other 802.11a/b/g devices.

HTH
gh0stface
orcaz wrote:
Hi, I was looking around my router configuration page after changing the firmware to HyperWRT. Does frequency affect the speed of wireless connections or sth, or there is no significance in the different channels?

Good choice in 3rd party firmware. HyperWRT is what I currently use. Although Tomato is looking pretty good too.

Make sure your router version is either v1-v4 as v5+ uses the OS vxWorks instead of linux.

I'm sure you already know this, but www.linksysinfo.org contains chockful of information and various information on 3rd party firmwares.