FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Need Advice] - Moving on...to a new home!

violetgnu
The time comes when...you decide that it is time to move on, and move out. What kind of questions should one ask when renting out places? Things you absolutely must check. Do you have any tips for moving out of the parents basement for the first time?

Post them here!

P.S. I live in the Vancouver housing, and am looking for rent around 400 - 500$/month including utilities, just to give you an idea of some of my background. Good ol' student life.

Currently I've looked at craigslist, and plan to take a peek at a place on the 19th.
Dean_The_Great
If you're moving into an apartment building, ask about maintenance, some places are really good and right on the ball, some really aren't.

Also, make sure whatever place you find is close to what you want, as location is everything. Also look for a place that has good laundry services, because there's nothing worse than expensive laundry that doesn't even dry your clothes.

As well, look into lease terms. Some make sure you have full 12 month contracts, so if you're going to school you're going to have to pay for the summer, even if you go back home or whatever for the summer. Also, if you plan to move out at the end of the school year, you don't want 2-4 months of rent at another place to pay.

Those are just some of the basics, coming from someone who just went through it a few years ago.
PatTheGreat42
You know, if you're thinking about moving in the Vancouver area, there are some important queastions you need to ask yourself.

The first question is why do I want to live in Vancouver? Is it the nice weather? The friendly locals? Money saved on snow tires? Perhaps I love the sunny days and enthralling nightlife?

After these questions are asked, you should compare Vancouver with other places to live. Such as perhaps Hawai'i or San Diego.

'Cause I mean, seriousely dude. Vancouver? Move to San Diego. It's so much nicer there. Plus, if you ever run into trouble with the law for robbing a bank to be able to pay your rent, it's like 30 minutes to Mexico.

Move to San Diego.
violetgnu
Thanks, <name>TheGreats. I myself was able to find a place with an appropriate contract and laundry facilities (which was a good idea to ask about, thanks).

Vancouver, because I study there (UBC). It certainly is not because of the Canadian filesharing laws or the abundance of BC's finest crop. [I'm sure there are more...conventional and moral reasons for living in Vancouver, but I really can't think of any that make it better than any other city besides those].
coolclay
Make sure to have some one with at least a little technical/home maintenance knowledge check things over for you, most importantly, the plumbing, wiring, and general safety aspects like fire detectors and such, and make sure that it is clear who decides whether something breaking is a general maintenance issue, or someone is at fault for it breaking. Have your parents or someone with experience look over your lease agreement as well too.
R2.DETARD
I wouldn't move into a place without asking the neighbours what it is like there. They are the ones who know how things work, they can tell you what the owner is like and what the facilities are like.
Also if they're hot then that helps too Wink
TripleSicx707
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
You know, if you're thinking about moving in the Vancouver area, there are some important queastions you need to ask yourself.

The first question is why do I want to live in Vancouver? Is it the nice weather? The friendly locals? Money saved on snow tires? Perhaps I love the sunny days and enthralling nightlife?

After these questions are asked, you should compare Vancouver with other places to live. Such as perhaps Hawai'i or San Diego.

'Cause I mean, seriousely dude. Vancouver? Move to San Diego. It's so much nicer there. Plus, if you ever run into trouble with the law for robbing a bank to be able to pay your rent, it's like 30 minutes to Mexico.

Move to San Diego.

San Diego's exspensive man, California in general is exspensive lol