FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firewall problem for p2p connections

muhendisabi
Well, we are behind a firewall and depend on its rules. We hate this situation, because we do not use p2p services such as emule, dc++, torrents. But we want! Crying or Very sad

Is there anyone knows a solution to that? Shocked Please help us.

Thanks.
badai
ever heard about port forwarding?
muhendisabi
badai wrote:
ever heard about port forwarding?

Yes, i heard but my PC is only a machine in the network, i can not intervent to firewall server.

What should i do in this situation? Does the port forwarding solve my problem even? How?

Thanks.
badai
it will solved your problem, but it may give problems to whoever is managing your server right now.

ask politely. most admin would do it for their friends.
muhendisabi
badai wrote:
it will solved your problem, but it may give problems to whoever is managing your server right now.

ask politely. most admin would do it for their friends.

Please describe how the forwarding is? What should i do ? Is there any program or will i connect to an external server?

I would be very pleased, if you could kindly help me.
Animal
This site will give you more details on port forwarding. However, if you can't alter the firewall settings then you will not be able to set up port forwarding. If you are on a managed network (for example, a school, college, university, work network etc) then it is highly likely that the firewall has been purposefully configured to stop P2P programs running. It is therefore highly unlikely that you'll be able to get it to work.
muhendisabi
Animal wrote:
This site will give you more details on port forwarding. However, if you can't alter the firewall settings then you will not be able to set up port forwarding. If you are on a managed network (for example, a school, college, university, work network etc) then it is highly likely that the firewall has been purposefully configured to stop P2P programs running. It is therefore highly unlikely that you'll be able to get it to work.

Yes, you are surely right. I am on a managed network that is on a university network. Is it impossible? Is there not a way to solve the problem.
Animal
muhendisabi wrote:
Is it impossible? Is there not a way to solve the problem.

I'm not aware of any ways around this - Universities and Colleges block access to P2P programs for a reason. If it was easy to get around, there would be no point in blocking it in the first place. However, if you did manage to get round the firewall somehow, you could land yourself in some fairly serious trouble with the university - they may count it as hacking their network and expel you from the institution. My advice would be that you don't even try to get around it - it's not worth the risk.

Sorry this isn't the news you wanted.
muhendisabi
Animal wrote:
muhendisabi wrote:
Is it impossible? Is there not a way to solve the problem.

I'm not aware of any ways around this - Universities and Colleges block access to P2P programs for a reason. If it was easy to get around, there would be no point in blocking it in the first place. However, if you did manage to get round the firewall somehow, you could land yourself in some fairly serious trouble with the university - they may count it as hacking their network and expel you from the institution. My advice would be that you don't even try to get around it - it's not worth the risk.

Sorry this isn't the news you wanted.

thank you.
seawolfxp
open p2p ports in the firewall
Teezgaff
If you install emule or utorrent it will work anyway just not your full bandwidth..
Make sure there is a sufficient virus scanner tho or you will be ejected from your uni if you give them something nasty... Twisted Evil