FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with DVD drive

saratdear
Hi,
I am having a problem with my DVD drive. I mean, it is supposed to be a DVD drive. The crappy company who sold me this PC claims it to be one, but it can't play a single DVD. Every specification of the drive while seeing through the computer shows it is one, and the DVD drive itself shows that symbol like DVD VIdeo or whatever. Till now it has played just one DVD, a game CD of NFS most wanted. And the weird thing is, it can't play anything now. NO game CDs or any film CDs. Once, having inserted a VCD incorrectly in the drive, it had cracked and my uncle took it out and repaired and cleaned the whole thing. I mean, he is an expert in this stuff, he knows what he is doing.
Here are the technical specifications of the drive, through My Computer. It is a drive of Samsung. I took a screenshot, I just couldn't bother to type the whole thing.

Could you all guess the problem from this? Please help!

EDIT : I forgot to add, I have tried changing the DVD region, and that too doesn't solve the problem.
the zephyrus
If you put in a disc, what happens?
1. does the icon change to anything?
2. does the drive label change?
3. when you click the drive, do you get a window?
Does not play is kind of ambiguous.
saratdear
When I insert a DVD, nothing happens. It seems the drive doesn't read it at all.
billybob
To me it sounds like a faulty drive can you not just get a replacement?