FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is "CCAPP.exe"?

Sweaty Hat Man
Whenever i try to log off or shut down of my Compaq presario v5000, a box shows up and says "ending program CCAPP.exe" and it stops and doesn't log off! I always have to shut it down manually. Does anyone know what to do? I am afraid that i might wreck my computer someday shutting it down. Shocked
wumingsden
It's norton antivirus, I think it deals with the auto-protection feature.
Sweaty Hat Man
thanks! I really apreciate it! so should i delete it and switch to another virus protection program?
orcaz
It is Norton Internet Security I think, and when I used it last time, I also had this problem when I shut down. I think if you have the choice, or if your subscription has expired, you should choose another antivirus software instead of Norton, as it is a resource hog, and there are many better free and paid antivirus out there.
Sweaty Hat Man
ok thank you for the info. i just switched to McAfee virus shield! now i dont have any problem shutting down! Very Happy
tomahawk19
I personally am not a big fan of either of those programs. I have always had the worst trouble with them. I personally use AVG anti-virus, in combination with Zone Alarm Firewall and LavaSoft Ad-Aware. Great combo...
ronald.helpdesk
I definitevely agree with the no Symantec stuff, it's quite better to use another virus protection, NOD is a good call 4 it... I've been using it, and my computer works a lot betther, quickly, and stupid/dialog box's free.

Greetings,
blueray
Well, norton anti-virus is a good scanner. But it also is a resource killer. Althrough today newer system comes with 512MB or 1GB. But this app also following this trending as the each new version it released also with huge resource usage. So, personally, I do recommended switch to another scanner would be better. Mcafee is the one I'am currently in use. It's fast and use less resourse.
Sweaty Hat Man
ok thank you for the input! But still, it won't let me update microsoft word. it doesn't make sense, i uninstalled norton but it keeps saying "Norton antivirus 2006 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall" everytime i open MS word. does anyone know what to do now?
wumingsden
Sweaty Hat Man wrote:
ok thank you for the input! But still, it won't let me update microsoft word. it doesn't make sense, i uninstalled norton but it keeps saying "Norton antivirus 2006 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall" everytime i open MS word. does anyone know what to do now?

It sounds like some norton features (like scanning word documents) is still present. I've quickly search my macro's in word and see no option to disable/remove this feature (or edit the program scanner). I've also quickly search google and fount nothing.

My idea is that word automatically has a built-in file scanner feature, which cannot be removed/disabled, and norton took over this feature so instead it scans the files instead. I say this because I do not have Norton yet files are still scanned.

*note that I know nothing at all about this kind of thing so I am probably wrong.
SonLight
Sweaty Hat Man wrote:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MS Word? Provided you still have the install media for it, that would probably fix your problem.

You may also want to consider getting OpenOffice as a replacement for MS-Word. It is free software which provides nearly all the same functions and is able to read most existing MS-Word files. Another approach would be to use WordPad. That will read normal files OK, but not complex ones. I prefer to use it to open .doc files by default.
Sweaty Hat Man
ok it works now. thanks for your support!! Very Happy
SFMeatwad
Sweaty Hat Man wrote:
thanks! I really apreciate it! so should i delete it and switch to another virus protection program?

If you have Norton running purposely, then don't.

If you have Norton running accidentally, be my guest.