FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CakePHP

sarapicoazul
Has anyone tried CakePHP ? What is your opinion ?

CakePHP is a rapid development framework for PHP which uses commonly known design patterns like ActiveRecord, Association Data Mapping, Front Controller and MVC.
georgeodowd
I'm about to try installing it... have to get a fully-functional suite of web tools built for someone by April (and this is in addition to my real job). I need all the rapid development juju I can get!
CakePHP looks like a pretty cool setup. Not quite like the custom framework I'm used to, but it's a lot cleaner and better packaged, so something I'm more inclined to install in someone else's webspace. Here's hoping it goes smoothly...
rockacola
Tried CakePHP in late 2008.. regardless to what others say.. I personally think the documentation is poor on top of already steep learning curve, it is just plain difficult.

I've moved on to CodeIgniter http://codeigniter.com/ soon after (thx to Howart) and now I've 2+ projects running on CodeIgniter.

Not saying CodeIgniter is the best PHP MVC out there, it just suit my need:
- free and open source
- rapid deployment
- shallow learning curve

Razz
kv
CakePHP is very good tool for RAD in php. It even has support for joins of tables, foreign key relationships, etc at the model level (not at db level) which most such frameworks lack and has in-built support for retrieving data to the views. It comes with a nice utility to generate model/view/controllers.

If you have complex data model with joins and foreign key relationships, and have UI to display them in either flat or hierarchical format (for example, from a list of albums, clicking on album name takes to a list of photos contained in that album), CAKEPHP is most easy and efficient.
shkhanal
well, is it free or I need to purchase it? Where can I download it?
kv
It is free. Download it here http://cakephp.org/downloads