FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

going from BBedit to Dreamweaver

TurtleShell
I'm going to design a website for someone, and once it's complete, she'll be updating it herself with her own software. I use simple HTML editors, but the person I'm designing this for uses a web authoring program. Is there any problem that could arise from updating a website that's been coded by hand in something like Dreamweaver or Frontpage?
-TomJ-
Why would it be a problem?
Frontpage has a reputation for creating "nasty" html, but I have no idea if Frontpage will change your coding into its own nasty version.
DreamWeaver has an option to clean html, but if there's nothing dirty, nothing happens.
I personally prefer DW to FP.
I guess I would also advise DW for somebody else. DW is able to show a WYSIWIG version of a page, a code view of that page, or a mixed view. It has all kind of nifty gadgets (mind you, FP may have them too, but I can't report on that).

My idea anyway ...
ammonkc
No, not at all. all dreamweaver is is a text editor that can render html previews in realtime. sometimes dreamweaver and other wysiwyg editors can add some wierd unecessary code to your markup, but it shouldn't cause any problems.
I have run into some bugs with dreamweaver when working with PHP in the past. if coding php in dreamweaver, some functions things dont work. for example:
Code:

echo <<<END
END;

This has never worked for me in dreamweaver. Everytime I try to echo something this way it breaks the code and the page doesn't render at all. I think it has something to do with how dreamweaver handles whitespace. and there were some other bugs when coding php.
I stopped using dreamweaver and switched to textmate a long time ago so this might be fixed now.