FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The new Paint (with layers)

romaop
Yes, it's the new MSPaint. Now with layers and other interesting stuff like special effects and plugins.
The new Paint works with Windows Vista, 2003 or XP. It requires the .Net Framework 2.0. So if you don't have it installed, go to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

The program itself can be downloaded from here:
http://www.getpaint.net/files/vue/PaintDotNet_3_0_Beta2.exe

And the Paint site is the following:
http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

It's a 2nd beta version which is free.
It's too far from Photoshop but opens new possibilities for windows users.
{name here}
Hopefully it will not lose the functionality the current paint has with pixel editing. If I could have a pixel editor with layers I could make artwork for games so much easier.
Raijenki
haha, hope that this new paint don't be a Photoshop >.<
I use paint instead of photoshop...
Anyway, i'm downloading it Very Happy
varun_dodla
I also wanted paint to have something more. Layers will be great new addition to its features. I'm going to try it right away....and also hope it supports transparency to a greater extent now!!
ocalhoun
{name here} wrote:
Hopefully it will not lose the functionality the current paint has with pixel editing. If I could have a pixel editor with layers I could make artwork for games so much easier.

Both Photoshop and the GIMP can work pixel by pixel if you just zoom in enough...

It is, however, about time they did something with paint! It hasn't had any major changes since windows 3.1
{name here}
ocalhoun wrote:
{name here} wrote:

Both Photoshop and the GIMP can work pixel by pixel if you just zoom in enough...

It is, however, about time they did something with paint! It hasn't had any major changes since windows 3.1

Yet still paint is the pixel editor of choice for pros and ameteurs. They're not really suited for pixel editing. Refer to this thread.
budazz
downloading also maybe ill try this one for my artwork for mobile.... thnks
william
Interesting. I've read about this a couple days ago. Although I rarely use Paint, this might actually be pretty good. It's pretty useful as a free application that could replace Photoshop sometimes. However, GIMP is probably a better free option. Still, not bad.
corey
Everyone realizes that this is not a Paint replacement, right? Its actually called Paint.net. Its getting there,but its still no Photoshop or Gimp. If the developers keep up this pace, though, it will be a super great product soon enough.
kany
Well i think Paint is better the way it is. Enhancments to Paint would just ruin it and make it heavier. For any kind of editing you can use any other photo of graphics editor like photoshop paint.net or gimp but it think paint should remail like that. Light weight and simple.
romaop
I agree with Kany about the simplicity of Paint which has its advantages. Paint.net isn't just good news. Some rendering involves a lot of time, which is a lot poorer than Photoshop. Plugins aren't also that good (at least some of them). There aren't many downloadable addons. Text editing is poor. Well, it's free, you know!
Having said the bad news, I still recommend downloading the new Beta 3. Why? Because, with gradients and layers you can now darken that ugly uncolored sky by turning that pale blue into a darker one. You can also undo a lot of times. You may change a photo into something similar to a pencil drawing.
Check out the Paint.net site:
WickedGravity
The entire point of Paint IMO is the simplicity of it. People who are graphically motivated and skilled will know, instinctively, that MS Paint is not the Ultimate in Photo Editing.

I think it is a decent step, but at the same time, is it really a necessary one?
sush
Paint.NET is not an official replacement for MSPAINT. It's been under development for some time now and is quite good (I use it primarily).
AGW-Bryan
Lets see if the download will work for me. Stuff like this doesn't sometimes
garionw
It's been out for over a year - Bigpond have it unmetered on their site.

I still prefer Paint Shop Pro Though
akshar
Quote:
Its nice that PAINT is adding new features,I was looking for some upgrades of it recently.but its functionalities bit same as flash and photoshop.hope in future some more features they will add to it.
I find using photoshop more usefull
m-productions
omg!!!! that stinks i try to download it, but my computer cant support the .net thing beacuse i dont have 64bit =/
romaop
m-productions, I don't have a 64 bit machine and here all works fine. Do you have .net version 2 installed?
About the MSPaint, this is not an official update as such said. But for me and a lot of people it's actually an update.
Enjoy this software and it's good to see that people are actually improving it (release 3 has just been released).
m-productions
romaop wrote:
m-productions, I don't have a 64 bit machine and here all works fine. Do you have .net version 2 installed?
About the MSPaint, this is not an official update as such said. But for me and a lot of people it's actually an update.
Enjoy this software and it's good to see that people are actually improving it (release 3 has just been released).

thats what i was talking about, i tryed install .net version 2 and it said i needed a 64 bit.
THE11thROCK™
Quote:
Yes, it's the new MSPaint. Now with layers and other interesting stuff like special effects and plugins.
The new Paint works with Windows Vista, 2003 or XP. It requires the .Net Framework 2.0. So if you don't have it installed, go to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

The program itself can be downloaded from here:
http://www.getpaint.net/files/vue/PaintDotNet_3_0_Beta2.exe

And the Paint site is the following:

It's a 2nd beta version which is free.
It's too far from Photoshop but opens new possibilities for windows users.

Paint.net? It's not MS official. However, it's slicker and waaaay better than Paint itself. It can't compete with Photoshop but it's worth trying if you can't afford high-end and expensive editors.
ennnzo
It isn't by microsoft! MSPaint and Paint.NET are two different things! I suggest you use GIMP if you're looking for a free good graphic editing program.
corey
Wow. I can't believe the responses to this thread, and the fact that they are still coming. Paint.net IS NOT PAINT. Its not from Microsoft. Microsoft will never license anything under a free license. All Microsoft downloads come from Microsoft. Paint.net is neat, but its not paint (er, still not paint, as has been mentioned twice already here).