FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Eragon

Satori
So I just got home from watching Eragon. Now, I haven't read the book...but I was hoping the movie would be at least entertaining. It was the cheesiest piece of crap I've seen in a while. I have heard the book is very good...so do yourselves a favor. DON'T see the movie and read the book instead. If it's a choice between seeing this movie, or something else...DEFINITELY choose something else. I would've rather seen Santa VS the Snowman on Imax than this movie. Sadly, I think that even if I do read the book now, it will be tainted by images in my head from the movie. The only plus side I can think of is that the baby dragon was cute. It only went downhill after that.

Worst movie I've seen this year.
reddishblue
I heard its really bad on TV, they said only the dragon is cool, I am so sick of movies that are assembled of child actors/actresses they all suck.
Thanks for the warning, I'm going to rotten tomatoes now to see what they say.
Commando_Sondre
I agree, I was really looking forward to this movie, but when I saw it, I got really disapointed. THE MOVIE SUCKS!
hunterm
I think the guy who wrote the book was 16 when he did so. I've heard some of the dialogue and I think that if I'd have written it when I was 16, I'd have been too embarrassed to show anyone.

Sounded like total tosh! Won't be wasting my time or money.
QrafTee
Dude. That movie was so dumb. The whole movie seemed like a rush job production-wise and story-wise. I mean it was like it was in a hurry to get the movie over. Not only that, there are so many one-liners that just pissed me off. Furthermore, I have two friends who've read the book, both of them were clenching their fists and just ashamed of the whole thing. *sigh* I mean yeah, movies and books will have inaccuracies (look at Lord of the Rings), but damn make it good at least (like Lord of the Rings)
gh0stface
QrafTee wrote:
Dude. That movie was so dumb. The whole movie seemed like a rush job production-wise and story-wise. I mean it was like it was in a hurry to get the movie over. Not only that, there are so many one-liners that just pissed me off. Furthermore, I have two friends who've read the book, both of them were clenching their fists and just ashamed of the whole thing. *sigh* I mean yeah, movies and books will have inaccuracies (look at Lord of the Rings), but damn make it good at least (like Lord of the Rings)

From a lot of reviews I have been scouring, it's essentially a movie that rips off of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. But then, this "highly loved" books WAS written by a 16 year old home schooled boy. So the themes that you see through out the movie is something that you won't be too unfamiliar with.

In my opinion, when I first saw the previews, I didn't think it was going to be that great. On a side note, remember the spoiler rule that I have implemented if you plan on detailing this movie more thoroughly Wink
Captain Fertile
Doesn't anyone recommend the movie? Usually people dash on here to contradict a negative report but it appears that the movie really IS that bad.
SGbilder
Well its probably not that hard to understand...

They promote the movie like its a new Lord of the rings, but instead they had made a childrens version thats to violent for children. and i agree that casting a newbie actor for a bigbudget movie like this might not have been the best idea. now to their defense i have not yet seen the movie but this is what my friends have told me and we usually have more or less the same tastes.

anyho its probably a movie that one can wait for until it comes out on rental.
sonicj
Commando_Sondre wrote:
THE MOVIE SUCKS!

Please say it isn't so... Crying or Very sad
Well I will still at least see it on dvd. Generally when critics say they hated a movie I usually like it. I must be easy to entertain.
SixthStorm
That's too bad... im gonna cancel my movie tickets pronto. Shocked

Perhaps i would see it in the future if anyone get's it on DVD cuz im certainly not buying it. Laughing
KoiboySG1
I will see him this weekend in the cinema. Im curios if I like the movie.
Alias
Lol! I wouldn't watch the movie because I know that it would be better if I will just read the book. Eragon will start showing in our cinema theaters on 12/24/2006. Smile
cavey
I was disappointed too. I knew that this was part of a triology, but I did not expect walking out of the movies feeling that I have just seen third of a movie...
brevity
I have no idea what this movie is about... The first I'd seen of it was today when I went to the mall (I don't like malls) and saw posters/tapestries hanging every 20 feet with ads for the movie. It looked cheesey as hell though, so no thanks to that.

Thanks for the heads up. I mean, I wouldn't have gone to see it anyway, but still.
pudovkin
Thanks for helping not waste my time.
I was thinking it sucks, since it looks like "Dungeons & Dragons" (worst film ever).
sondosia
I actually liked it...but mostly because I read the book ages ago so I don't remember how it goes in detail. Everyone told me that the movie doesn't follow the book at all, and I guess it doesn't.

I think this movie's good for people who don't read much and therefore aren't going to ever read the book anyway.

~M~
The3dx
sonicj wrote:
Commando_Sondre wrote:
THE MOVIE SUCKS!

Please say it isn't so... Crying or Very sad
Well I will still at least see it on dvd. Generally when critics say they hated a movie I usually like it. I must be easy to entertain.

what!!?? what??!! nooooo!!!! i thought this movie is good!!! :'(
i read the book and it's was damn good!
and now all my hopes are gone ....
no!!!
are you all sure it isnt worth watching?
zanzou
I'd picked up the book a bunch of times, but never got into it... now that I've seen the movie, I doubt I ever will.

I kept catching myself as I had urges to start up conversations in the middle of watching it, it was so bad.

Baby Dragon - Cute. Telepathy - Lame. (For instance-- why could she talk to Old Father Figure Type at that one point for no reason???)

:/ I feel like I watched bad LotR fanfic.
Madic
ugh, I saw this movie like 2 weeks ago and I would seriously have to agree with everyone in this thread that this is the overall worst movie I have ever seen. I have read the book (and the second) which I found entertaining and fun to read but seeing the movies made me squirm in my seat for it to end. In book form, the story seems to span a timeline that is so much longer than what the film suggests. what takes a couple months in the book takes 1 minute to less than a minute in the movie. The dialogs in those areas also didn't encompass anything near what it should have.

SPOILERS BELOW...

the biggest problem I had with the movie was that it didn't stick to the story at all. Arya was in a coma the entire time through the desert, brom wasn't killed by the shade, it was the razzac (sp?). murdock didn't know the way to the varden and durza wasn't killed in the huge battle in the mountains, it was in the tunnels below the giant sapphire thing. They didn't even talk about the prophet at the end of the first book, and arya doesn't leave for ellesmera till the next book,when she goes WITH Eragon.

The movie pissed me off, it had bad acting, didn't follow the story and was rushed in almost every aspect.
parokya
I was thinking of watching Eragon. In our place, it is going to show in moviehouses on January 8. Now that I've read your reviews, I'll just wait for it on cable. I woldn't like to waste good money on a bad film.
Hogwarts
sondosia wrote:
I actually liked it...but mostly because I read the book ages ago so I don't remember how it goes in detail. Everyone told me that the movie doesn't follow the book at all, and I guess it doesn't.

I think this movie's good for people who don't read much and therefore aren't going to ever read the book anyway.

~M~

I agree with him... I do read alot but haven't read the book. It's not that bad a movie, it's just one of those "Love it or hate it" movies, like Kung Pow: Enter the fist. That was possibly the worst movie I ever saw, pirates of the Caribbean 2 probably being the best.
magneto_ms
yes..after hearing all this, my plans for the movie are cancelled. Evil or Very Mad
Revvion
Really really sucked, i mean i expected a normal movie not to boring but not like lord of the rings either and i found it was below a normal movie.
iNs@nE
I did read the books and they were pretty good actually. I mean, Christopher Paolini did take a few ideas from other authors but the way he moulded them was pretty good. All the other authors used magic at will making it a little boring but Chris mixed magic and stamina. That was a beautiful idea. The books were good.

And as far as the movie is concerend, I havent seen it yet but I did see the trailers on TV. The guy they chose for Eragon looks so lame and pathetic. He doesnt even have the looks of a Hero. Come on. Even Elijah Wood looked like a Hero while doing Frodo.
I wont watch this movie. It would be better if Eragon remained in my mind as a good book rather than a bad movie.
Kaneda
Doubt I'll watch it, ever. Unless forced to. Read a few pages of the book, and then passed it on to my nephew. He didn't like it much either. Smile But then, even dreadful books become masterpieces of cinema in the hands of the right director - sadly, Eragon (predictably, though, since it seems mainly an attempt to ride on the last wake of LOTR) doesn't seem to be such a case.

One review I found funny (and one of the few relatively positive ones):

Quote:
Eragon - that's Dragon with an E (instead of a D), or Era Gone, without the E. Both are wordplays that perhaps give a clue to the workings of the 15 year old author's mind.

I think another clue to the workings would be that it's Aragorn with an E (instead of an A) and dropping the almost silent R. Wink
zanzou
Kaneda wrote:

Quote:
Eragon - that's Dragon with an E (instead of a D), or Era Gone, without the E. Both are wordplays that perhaps give a clue to the workings of the 15 year old author's mind.

I think another clue to the workings would be that it's Aragorn with an E (instead of an A) and dropping the almost silent R. ;)

XD I always find it annoying how much it's like "Aragorn"... I always trip up while talking about this movie/book.
m_furquan36
the movie was pretty bad..its like another one of those hyped up fantasy movies...the book i heard was good so ill read that.
KoiboySG1
I have seen the movie this week.
not the best movie ever but i realy liked the movie.
molif
but from what ive seen, most of u all say it sucks..

u all have changed my mind from watching it... haha..

maybe i will for blood diamond..
zanzou
molif wrote:
but from what ive seen, most of u all say it sucks..

u all have changed my mind from watching it... haha..

maybe i will for blood diamond..

I've heard really good things about Blood Diamond.... I'd say that's a better movie to see.
Ryuk
I really liked Eragon the book, and when i heard they where shooting the movie i tought it would be better than Lord of the Rings, because it has such a good storie, but when i get to see the movie first hand, OH MY GOD! The biggest disapointement in my life, don't advise anyone to see it.
ramadangroup
I see that it is a good movie
lookatme
I liked the movie. I thought there was some romance in it between the blonde guy and the brunette guy. I thought it had depth and alot was just great. I haven't read the book niether, cause I don't read. But It was a great movie. I normally don't like movies with alot of animation, dragons, or were people talk in old english.

I do reccommend the movie for everyone. The only reason I went to see it was because of Avril Lavigne's Song. I love Avril. But go watch when it comes out on DVD. :]

ILY,
Joe
gta-series
Eragon is'nt so bad as you say. I've looked it and I liked it. I think not bad
zanzou
lookatme wrote:
I liked the movie. I thought there was some romance in it between the blonde guy and the brunette guy. I thought it had depth and alot was just great. I haven't read the book niether, cause I don't read. But It was a great movie. I normally don't like movies with alot of animation, dragons, or were people talk in old english.

I do reccommend the movie for everyone. The only reason I went to see it was because of Avril Lavigne's Song. I love Avril. But go watch when it comes out on DVD. :]

I'm not even sure if we watched teh same movie... Eragon was the worst movie of my summer, and I saw Stick It, Material Girls, and Just My Luck.

I think the romance you saw was probably just you watching with a slash filter on-- the romance was obviously meant to be set up between Eragon and the princess. (I'm a slash fan, too, and if I liked the movie, I probably would have gone that way... but just... not canon.)

Also-- they were speaking in British accents, not old English. >_>;;; Just... guh.
Seiji
I still need to see this. Everyone has been telling me its not as good as the book but I don't think any movie matches up to the original. The video game was bleh, so I'm hoping the movie will be good.
zanzou
Seiji wrote:
I still need to see this. Everyone has been telling me its not as good as the book but I don't think any movie matches up to the original. The video game was bleh, so I'm hoping the movie will be good.

I think there's a difference between "not as good as the book" and what THIS is. I don't think LotR or Harry Potter is as good as the books, but this movie I could barely sit through. Having not read the books, I don't know how good it is, but I would call this movie just plain ol' BAD.