FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Major DVD screw-ups!

CrimsonStrange
Just wanted to post this for those of you who might have these DVD sets (and also for those of you who might receive them as Christmas presents), since I've had personal experience with both recently...

If you got the Pirates of the Caribbean II: Dead Man's Chest 2-Disc Special Edition, pay attention to the second disc - the Special Features. It might actually be from the first "Pirates" movie, The Curse of the Black Pearl!

I purchased mine from Wal-Mart and apparently, whoever is responsible for actually packaging DVD's into the cases at the distribution plant made a major boo-boo when it came to somebody in quality control checking to see that the correct discs were on the spindles of the packing machines.
From what I understand, about 1 million of these wrong special features discs went out into the POTC 2 packages.

If you got one from Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, Best Buy and probably a lot of other places, you should be able to take it back (even if you don't have a receipt), show it to them, and they'll swap it for a corrected 2-disc set of POTC 2. SIDE NOTE: This may have been strictly on the East Coast, not sure.

Now, onto the Superman Fourteen-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition, from Warner Brothers, you know - the one in the cool metal case?

This is directly from Video Business:

NOV. 28 | Warner Home Video has issued a mea culpa over material inadvertently missing from its Nov. 28 Superman releases.

There is bonus content omitted from Superman III Deluxe Edition, which is part of the 14-disc Superman Ultimate Collector’s Edition.

Also, the first disc of Superman: The Movie Four-Disc Special Edition does not include the Dolby Digital 2.0 sound mix.

Superman Returns, Warner’s big fourth-quarter release on Nov. 28, has no reported problems.

Consumers can receive replacement Superman discs by calling (800) 553-6937.

In a statement, the studio said, "Warner Home Video wants to extend apologies to all of our loyal Superman fans, who’ve waited so patiently for these great collections, and has taken immediate steps to correct these errors with the intention of standing behind our product 100%."

Here's another forum post from DigitalSpy.co.uk about the subject, which basically states the same as above.

SIDE NOTE AND FOREWARNING: The packaging of the Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition itself will ruin the discs - under each disc is a plastic bump with a rough edge that protrudes out just enough to cause a scratch on the disc that lays on top of it. When I opened mine, I saw this scratch on every disc in the collection, and this was just from the discs rotating on the hub during shipment and with general movement. I taped over each of those little bumps with simple masking tape, just in an effort to prevent any further damage.
------------------------------------------------

Now, you just know that the cost & the effects of replacing all of those defective discs will be passed onto us, the consumer...
Another dollar or two on the price of DVD's from that studio, cheaper plastic cases, cheaper discs, etc. Rolling Eyes

ADDENDUM TO THE ABOVE POST - Warner Bros. did deliver the postage-paid envelope to send them back my defective discs, so my corrected replacements should be shipped back to me within 6-8 weeks, if not sooner.
brevity
Man, that sucks. Nothing is worse than companies trying to cut corners and save a buck when they're charging premium prices anyway. At least warner is trying to correct the problem... But still, this is something that never should have happened in the first place.

ESPECIALLY about the Superman collection. Not only is the fact that it's missing crap sucky, but 10 times worse is the horrible packaging that causes scratches... I mean, don't they do product testing before they release it? I can understand deadlines coming due and whatnot, but come ON!
m_furquan36
Shocked wow its amazing what people do to save their own money and get other peoples one in bulk Razz
hsadmin
Yeah. We put the disc in, and it was POTC 1
Scaramanga
Thanks for the information, however I took exception with one small item:

CrimsonStrange wrote:
This is directly from Video Business, which is a trade publication, not available to the general public:

While they may tout VB as a trade pub, anyone can subscribe to it. In fact, people can even peruse the news, reviews and data on their website for free.

And regarding the fact that the first and fourth Superman movies don't have the Dolby 2.0 stereo mix, why exactly should people care? They both feature a 5.1 mix dolby anyway. They did the same things for the new James Bond Ultimate collections I hear. So really, the only issue is the material missing from Superman III.

Also, scratched discs because of poorcases is not really anything new, and is not necessarily the fault of WB. Heck often times a distributor/packager will change DVD cases mid-release.
CrimsonStrange
Well, Scaramanga, my entire point of making the original post was simply to inform people (who may not have discovered it until it was too late to get corrected versions), that there was something wrong with those two particular DVD releases.
I just wanted anyone who got them to realize that they didn't get what they paid for. And in the case of the Superman Ultimate Edition set, that's a lotta money to shell out for a product that isn't what it's supposed to be.

As for the fine details of whether or not people care about Dolby 2.0 stereo mixes, and who's fault a substandard DVD case is...

I was just providing basic, helpful information.

If you read my original post again, I never placed any blame for the bad Superman packaging - I only offered up my solution to fix it.

A friend of mine has been getting Video Business in magazine format for years, and when he originally started receiving it, it was strictly a trade publication.
I never bothered to look at the website, since I could always look at the magazine.

My apologies, you're right - anybody can go to the VB site.

I'll be sure to remove that line about Video Business being a "trade publication not available to the general public".
alexdude
I remember some person on the news was talking about how Spiderman 2's DVD has lots of screw ups. If you slow it down at certain parts you can see how fake it really is.
Scaramanga
CrimsonStrange wrote:
Well, Scaramanga, my entire point of making the original post was simply to inform people (who may not have discovered it until it was too late to get corrected versions), that there was something wrong with those two particular DVD releases.
I just wanted anyone who got them to realize that they didn't get what they paid for. And in the case of the Superman Ultimate Edition set, that's a lotta money to shell out for a product that isn't what it's supposed to be.

As for the fine details of whether or not people care about Dolby 2.0 stereo mixes, and who's fault a substandard DVD case is...

I was just providing basic, helpful information.

If you read my original post again, I never placed any blame for the bad Superman packaging - I only offered up my solution to fix it.

A friend of mine has been getting Video Business in magazine format for years, and when he originally started receiving it, it was strictly a trade publication.
I never bothered to look at the website, since I could always look at the magazine.

My apologies, you're right - anybody can go to the VB site.

I'll be sure to remove that line about Video Business being a "trade publication not available to the general public".

Ahh it wasn't meant as a personal attack, so I'm sory if you took it that way. The VB issue was, like I said, my only real gripe (VB and Variety both get touted as trade 'zines, which they are, but that doesn't mean you have to be part of some exclusive club to get something out of them.)

As for the 2.0 stereo mix, I just never really saw what all the fuss is about. Studios do this all the time when they get better audio masters or they remix the audio from an existing 2.0 stereo release to 5.1+ DD. It like people complaining that the Special Edition Star Wars DVDs only have 5.1 dolby instead of the original 2.0 stereo. To me, it just doesn't make any sense.

As for the other issues, I appreciate you pointing them out, as they ARE serious issues.