FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

See what you think to my site?

billybob
Hey I was just wanting some feedback on my site, although this site is offering web design services that is not really the main purpose its just to help build up my portfolio.
Any suggestions on improvements would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Ryan

::edit:: nearly forgot the url Embarassed http://www.jarcodesigns.co.uk
ravi_9793
nice website frnd...
can u plz help me in designing a flasg based website...n a simplt flash intro
Georgeboy
Hey,

Nice design and pictures. The only thing I should change is your menu. I should make all the lettres of the same size, at this time it is a little bit chaos when you do a roll over and all items change position...

Greetz
SlowWalkere
I agree. The site is pretty good, I like the off-set formatting of text. The logo and images up top also look good.

As for modifications/changes, I also think that the menu should use the same size text for the active and inactive links. I would change it so that a rollover or the active link changes color, but the size stays the same and the line above it remains the same.

Also, I look at the "Contact Us" page and I think there is a typo. You say "contact us regarding any problems or quires" and I think "quires" is supposed to be "inquiries." Just thought I'd bring the possible error to your attention.

Good luck,
- Walkere
{name here}
It looks quite nice, but it seems a bit disorganized...
billybob
ravi_9793 wrote:
nice website frnd...

Thanks, i haven't really done much with flash but i can try and help you with some designs if you like?
Georgeboy wrote:

Hey,

Nice design and pictures. The only thing I should change is your menu. I should make all the lettres of the same size, at this time it is a little bit chaos when you do a roll over and all items change position...

Greetz

Thanks for the suggestion, see what you think now..
SlowWalkere wrote:

I agree. The site is pretty good, I like the off-set formatting of text. The logo and images up top also look good.

As for modifications/changes, I also think that the menu should use the same size text for the active and inactive links. I would change it so that a rollover or the active link changes color, but the size stays the same and the line above it remains the same.

Also, I look at the "Contact Us" page and I think there is a typo. You say "contact us regarding any problems or quires" and I think "quires" is supposed to be "inquiries." Just thought I'd bring the possible error to your attention.

Good luck,
- Walkere

Thanks, Grammar is not my strong point to say the least so thanks for pointing that out. Smile
{name here} wrote:

Thanks for the comment but how do you mean disorganized and do you have any suggestions on how i could improve this?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys does anyone have any suggestions on the about page as its just unfinished at the moment?

Thanks
Ryan
rajhank
its really a gud site

can be improved in many ways.

A nice website

with some gud content.
billybob
rajhank wrote:
its really a gud site

can be improved in many ways.

A nice website

with some gud content.

Thanks for the comment, any suggestions for good content? Could you also expand on the "many ways" please?

P.s. I'm not really concentrating on the content its mainly just portfolio work so my main aim is to get the design sorted.
{name here}
billybob wrote:

{name here} wrote:

Thanks for the comment but how do you mean disorganized and do you have any suggestions on how i could improve this?

It seems to look disorganized since there really isn't any definitive columns in the layout - just three blobs of text seemingly spaced randomly on the home page. The rest of the site seems quite fine.
Kirth
Looks nice mate!

Don't seem to find any down sides;
nicely coded, you used the frames wisely.

Maybe? Th colors? ^^.
(I'm a pessimistic person, I just Have to say smth negative Razz, sorry! Razz Very Happy Sad )
Ye, the colors, not much, white, some gray.
But still stylish.

Keep it up!

~Regards,
Kirth
ravi_9793
[quote="billybob"]
ravi_9793 wrote:
nice website frnd...

Thanks, i haven't really done much with flash but i can try and help you with some designs if you like?
[quote="Georgeboy"]
yes..plz sir.
I want to make a flash based site.....but need some help.Plz help me.It will be pleasure for me. Smile
muhendisabi
very nice site, is its template handy or your design ?
billybob
muhendisabi wrote:
Confused I dont use templates Razz but yeah thanks Smile

ravi_9793 wrote:
yes..plz sir.
I want to make a flash based site.....but need some help.Plz help me.It will be pleasure for me. Smile

No problem what's the site about do you have a colour scheme?
Kirth wrote:
Looks nice mate!

Don't seem to find any down sides;
nicely coded, you used the frames wisely.

Maybe? Th colors? ^^.
(I'm a pessimistic person, I just Have to say smth negative Razz, sorry! Razz Very Happy Sad )
Ye, the colors, not much, white, some gray.
But still stylish.

Keep it up!

~Regards,
Kirth

Thanks Very Happy Its not made with frames, ive used css aligned divs as for the colours i agree its not the most colourful site in the world but I have gone a little crazy there's some orange in it Razz

{name here} wrote:
It seems to look disorganized since there really isn't any definitive columns in the layout - just three blobs of text seemingly spaced randomly on the home page. The rest of the site seems quite fine.

I agree I'm not a fan of the homepage either, I will take a look at it tomorrow.
Dragate
HEY! THIS website is actually REALLY GOOD!

one of the best I've ever seen. To contradict the statements of many other individuals, I find the layout is very clean. Not to mention, it has some really good asthetic features.

It's clean, simple, easy to use.

I like the blurs of text for the home page, very creative.

A few little things to change:

first of all, your menu, when you scroll over, the text goes black and really plain. You know what would fit in better? When you scroll over it the little bar above the text goes the same orangy colour too. When you are in a page, the text should also have a little blurb over it that's orange. Makes it seem more organized. Just little thing.

All your pages are the same size. You should make it so that that it can extend and there is only one scroll bar. I'm guessing you took the measurements off your homepage. The services page is good too, but for pages like portfolio, you have another content area with another scroll bar, not very good and after the copyright message, there's a big space before the end. About page: you need to fix up the sizing big time. It's kinda weird, there's so much useless space. Also, for your contact page, the text labels of the fields are a bad font. Use the same font as you used for your other text.

GOOD JOB! good luck~
billybob
Dragate wrote:

one of the best I've ever seen. To contradict the statements of many other individuals, I find the layout is very clean. Not to mention, it has some really good asthetic features.

first of all, your menu, when you scroll over, the text goes black and really plain. You know what would fit in better? When you scroll over it the little bar above the text goes the same orangy colour too. When you are in a page, the text should also have a little blurb over it that's orange. Makes it seem more organized. Just little thing.

All your pages are the same size. You should make it so that that it can extend and there is only one scroll bar. I'm guessing you took the measurements off your homepage. The services page is good too, but for pages like portfolio, you have another content area with another scroll bar, not very good and after the copyright message, there's a big space before the end. About page: you need to fix up the sizing big time. It's kinda weird, there's so much useless space. Also, for your contact page, the text labels of the fields are a bad font. Use the same font as you used for your other text.

GOOD JOB! good luck~

Hey thanks for the compliments Very Happy ,

As for the navigation bar I did not change the hover but i have change the selected part so that it has the orange line above when its active, see what you think...

I have changed the portfolio page, I removed the internal container div with the scroll bar and extended the page.

As for the about page its simply not finished I don't really have any content for it and I'm not really sure what to do with it any ideas?

The font on the form was just an oversight thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion there, if you have any more please let me know they were very constructive thanks Very Happy

Ryan
cavey
This looks really nice and clean.

I'm a bit confused. Which one is your logo? The graphics on the left, or the graphics on the right?

The orange headings are a bit hard to read because of too little contrast to the white background. At the same time, the links are very dominating (all though they have colors with good usability, because they follow the "standard" colors that most surfers recognize as links). The headings should be easiest to read (bigger, bolder, colors with good contrast). Links are a way for your visitors to leave your site, they should not be too dominating...

For graphical elements, you should use an empty alt-attribute. If I visit your homepage with images disabled, I have no use of knowing if there are shapes, banners, logos and backgrounds on your site. Use alt="" instead.

Never use h2 (or other headings) on normal text - you should use <p> instead. h2 is only meant for headings/headlines.

But as I said; Very nice looking :)
budazz
nice design i like nice use of css..... but one thing is the scroll bar below./.... its kinda annoying....
munkey_boy
Nice site Wink. Simple design. Modern, my favorite type of design.
ravi_9793
[quote="billybob"]
muhendisabi wrote:
Confused I dont use templates Razz but yeah thanks Smile

ravi_9793 wrote:
yes..plz sir.

[quote="Kirth"]Looks nice mate!

I want to make a site full with technology related articles...
I havt thought of any colour sheme....so,any colour is accepted..but yes the colour must be light.
munkey_boy
ravi_9793 wrote:
ravi_9793 wrote:
yes..plz sir.

Why are you answering your own question?? Confused
dfunkt
It seems like you've done a very good job. The coding and graphic work is very good which in all honesty is not something that I see very often when I visit websites that are posted on these forums. Most sites looks like train wrecks but you actually have a bit of knowledge.
lkk07
Nice clean site... I like the layout... your use of negative space... not many people understand that concept... however, you do need to proofread your text... there are some grammar and punctuation issues... the only other thing I would change is the "light orange" of the headings and links... I would make it a little darker... it's hard to read on the white background... other than that I think it's a great site... really nicely laid out... one of the better sites I've seen... =}
nimo
overall, I think that the concept is really nice, and the assymmetry on the home page is well used.

However, I've noticed that on this website, and also on "huge link exchange" you tend to make the overall color WHITE.

I would advise you to use more colors (preferrably coherent, like more shades of blue on HLE, or more shades of yellowish-orange on JD). Also, the menu seems too pale, making it more difficult to find your way around the website.

I recently found this new AWESOME website about design tips, in which you can find more ideas:
http://www.webdesignfromscratch.com
irishmark
I like it overall.

I agree with the point of it being a lil too white. Maybe a siple subtle grey gradiend backgound would lift it a bit. otherwise its cool.

Its really clean and easy to yous although the page navigation took me a second to find.
Alias
Hey, the design was great but the content is a little bit disorganized and the color is too bright for me... it hurts my eyes.

I think you need some minor improvements in managing the contents.
Dragate
billybob wrote:
Dragate wrote:

GOOD JOB! good luck~

Hey thanks for the compliments Very Happy ,

As for the navigation bar I did not change the hover but i have change the selected part so that it has the orange line above when its active, see what you think...

I have changed the portfolio page, I removed the internal container div with the scroll bar and extended the page.

As for the about page its simply not finished I don't really have any content for it and I'm not really sure what to do with it any ideas?

The font on the form was just an oversight thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestion there, if you have any more please let me know they were very constructive thanks Very Happy

Ryan

GOOD JOB! *CLAP CLAP CLAP* It looks really nice now. I like how you added the orange line above when it's active. It's working for me. *THUMBS UP*

The portfolio page looks really clean now and really proffessional. GOOD JOB!

For the about page, I don't think it needs to really be changed up at all. It looks just like an about page. You don't need TOO much information, but to me, it looks just fine. You should play around with it, you might like something. But trust me, it looks good.

No problem. The form looks much better now.

No problem at all. I enjoyed giving you constructive critisism. You have a really nice website. To me, the website looks really good now. I have not much to critisise on.

I like how you edited your site according to what I said too. You did it on your own way, but also fixed it so it's much better. Not many people do that. You did a great job!

AWESOME SITE! hehe really, don't know what to say about it other than that.