FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


frih$ cash-in to loosen 45 Points limit





Aredon
Before I begin, let me say that I read the sticky about what NOT to suggest.
Quote:

12) A shop to sell more Bandwidth or Space using FRIH$
16) Exchanging FRIH$ for Points / Trading, donating or receiving Points.


Can there be an official sort of way to spend frih$? Like a cash-in of some kind to enable users to spend frih$ for extra yet tiny benefits around the forums. To this very day people seem to be giving out their frih$ as if it were as worthless as a piece of paper. Maybe a cash-in bank would give more value to the currency by enabling users to spend their frih$ in various manners.

I was thinking something along the lines of:
1,000frih$ in order to get a small benefit of being able to surpass the 45 Points per day limit by one i.e. the user's personal cap would become 46 permanently.
And maybe 10,000frih$ in order raise the 4 Points per post max limit by one point to 5.

Even those two alone would raise the value of the currency drastically.
You could even add a cap to the amount of times people can cash-in for a certain benefit. e.g. Regardless how much frih$ you have you cannot increase the 4Points per post limit higher than 10 and the 45 per day limit higher than 100.
GameFreak
It's a good idea but I disagree that there is no use for frih$. Visit the Marketplace, man!
arkebuzer
If you are active enough to get 1000 or 10,000 frih$ Id say it might not really matter if you get a maximum of 46 points or more points/post Wink

After all it does not take many posts to get hosting for a month.

IMO its perfect as it is now!
scotty
I support making Frih$ more useful but the points will not be increased.
simplyw00x
I think that Livingwithstyle got this right - you had to pay for custom titles, avatars and such. There was a forum that you could pay to rename, and banner ads you could rent out with the e-currency you got from posting. The fact is that fri$ provide no incentive to post currently, which is shurely the point?
reddishblue
You know I really would like to name my own title just like they have on some other forums, honestly it would be simple to install a mod and boom you have a great incentive to earn Frih$.
Maybe Bondings could consider putting this in place when all the new forum skins are done.
An application could be put on the account page and charge 100 Frih$ to use it. Idea
Hogwarts
simplyw00x wrote:
I think that Livingwithstyle got this right - you had to pay for custom titles, avatars and such. There was a forum that you could pay to rename, and banner ads you could rent out with the e-currency you got from posting. The fact is that fri$ provide no incentive to post currently, which is shurely the point?


That can't be the smartest idea... If bondings does that then *poof*, frihost is gone. Bondings isn't secretly a billionaire with all the money in the world... or is he?

Avatars? You can get the in the marketplace...

The most I would say people are able to buy is something along the lines of "Name in italics" and "Name in bold"
GameFreak
Hogwarts wrote:
The most I would say people are able to buy is something along the lines of "Name in italics" and "Name in bold"


Or maybe a special color for your username.
garionw
GameFreak wrote:

Or maybe a special color for your username.


I'm against that - imagine how many extra tags would be included when the page loads?
GameFreak
garionw wrote:
GameFreak wrote:

Or maybe a special color for your username.


I'm against that - imagine how many extra tags would be included when the page loads?


You're right, actually. I eat my words.
Marston
The amount of tags would be pretty minimal; even an additional 25 (or however many posts per page) <span>, <font>, or whatever other tags per page would NOT increase bandwidth by an appreciable amount.
garionw
Marston wrote:
The amount of tags would be pretty minimal; even an additional 25 (or however many posts per page) <span>, <font>, or whatever other tags per page would NOT increase bandwidth by an appreciable amount.


Well lets say, everyone on this page changes their color, and changes the font. Already your faced with the problem of people not having certain fonts installed on their computers.

And it would introduce an extra 22 tags. Now, I don't have the time to place these into a HTML document, But I believe it would take up a little space
ocalhoun
There might be other, more interesting things you could sell for frih$...
Bigger avatar
New rank
Multiple 'website' fields in profile
ability to post links (bot/spammer prevention)
ability to comment on announcements
advertisement on the main page
@frihost.com E-mail address
extra subdomain

Any of those things would make frih$ more valuable.
(Of course, it isn't hard to see why I might have an ulterior motive for making frih$ more valuable)
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
There might be other, more interesting things you could sell for frih$...
Bigger avatar

Avatars are all the same size just now to keep the forum displaying nicely. I've been on several boards where people use virtually limitless sizes of images in their avatar and this does nothing but mess up the forum layout.

ocalhoun wrote:
New rank

An interesting suggestion. However, this would increase the workload of the staff because we would need to manually move the users to a seperate user group with the special rank, and presumably remove them afterwards.

ocalhoun wrote:
Multiple 'website' fields in profile

I think this is a pretty good suggestion... although I'm not sure how easy / possible it would be to code in phpBB.

ocalhoun wrote:
ability to post links (bot/spammer prevention)

While I see your point, I don't think it's a good idea to make everyone have to pay to post links. There are far more legitimate links in posts on this forum than illegitimate ones.

ocalhoun wrote:
ability to comment on announcements

I don't think there's any point in this at all... but that's just my personal opinion.

ocalhoun wrote:
advertisement on the main page

This is quite a good suggestion, although possibly not the best idea. It would end up being a major source of contest and would lead to ever increasing bids and would probably just frustrate users. It would also be unfair on the new users who couldn't compete with the amoount of FRIH$ they have. This is what the Directory is for Wink

ocalhoun wrote:
@frihost.com E-mail address

This certainly won't happen. The staff don't even get @frihost.com addresses, and this would suggest an affiliation with the site. It would also increase staff load in creating / activating / deactivating email addresses, and we'd also need to monitor for any spam issues etc.

ocalhoun wrote:
extra subdomain

This has been discussed before, but Bondings expressed that he wasn't keen on the idea. We want to keep as many "good" subdomains available as possible so that new users aren't disappointed that they don't get one they like.
Eclipse
Ok, I realize this is very old but I had an idea for FRIH$.

In addition to your current rules (5 quality posts and 10 points) why not make a small amount needed to maintain the website? Not much, just a reason to post on the forums once or twice a day?

Oh, and while this is entirely unrelated I seem to be getting more than 45 total points. If memory serves that's not suppose to be possible, correct?
Animal
Eclipse wrote:
Ok, I realize this is very old but I had an idea for FRIH$.

In addition to your current rules (5 quality posts and 10 points) why not make a small amount needed to maintain the website? Not much, just a reason to post on the forums once or twice a day?

The points system already ensures that users stay active on the forum - I see no reason to complicate this system by including FRIH$ in the equation.

Eclipse wrote:
Oh, and while this is entirely unrelated I seem to be getting more than 45 total points. If memory serves that's not suppose to be possible, correct?

You don't have a hosting account, therefore your points are unlimited. When you get a free hosting account, your points are reduced by one each day unless you have more than 45 points, in which case your points are reduced to 45.
Eclipse
Ah, sorry. I must have misread that somewhere. Thank you though. Smile
saratdear
The idea suggested by the original poster is not so good. Firstly because, lots of users don't have 10,000 frih$. In fact, as far as I can tell, only Bondings and n0obie4life has above 10,000. And, the point system is fair to every user, and this would be partial to someone just for the reason that they have more frih$
But the idea of having Custom titles, usernames, etc. is ok.
Bondings
Animal wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
@frihost.com E-mail address

This certainly won't happen. The staff don't even get @frihost.com addresses, and this would suggest an affiliation with the site. It would also increase staff load in creating / activating / deactivating email addresses, and we'd also need to monitor for any spam issues etc.

Actually you are allowed to get one as a staff member. However I will definately not provide one to normal users.

Also about the frih$, I will provide new ways to spend it when I ever finish the planned new features.
MrBlueSky
garionw wrote:

And it would introduce an extra 22 tags. Now, I don't have the time to place these into a HTML document, But I believe it would take up a little space


You would have to add thousands of tags just to get the same bandwith of transfering one usericon. Not to mention those hidiously large images people have in their signature.
garionw
MrBlueSky wrote:
garionw wrote:

And it would introduce an extra 22 tags. Now, I don't have the time to place these into a HTML document, But I believe it would take up a little space


You would have to add thousands of tags just to get the same bandwith of transfering one usericon. Not to mention those hidiously large images people have in their signature.


Maybe so, but the signatures have a total size of 50kb on a decent monitor (1024x768) this isn't a problem.

But besides, I come here to post messages and read them, not to gawk at what colour Bonding's name tag is.
MrBlueSky
garionw wrote:
Maybe so, but the signatures have a total size of 50kb on a decent monitor (1024x768) this isn't a problem.

But besides, I come here to post messages and read them, not to gawk at what colour Bonding's name tag is.


Imagine how many HTML tags you have to use to get to 50kb. The number of HTML tags has absolutely no impact on bandwith.

And yes, I come here for the messages too and when you have to search for the messages between the signatures when it should be the other way around, that's a little irritating. Even with resolutions above 1024x768.

I would, off course, have no problem with this if you would have the option not to see the signatures. But this isn't the case.
tidruG
How about a monthly pay to have the option to disable everyone else's signatures when you surf the forums. I'm sure this would drastically improve page-loading times for you.
babumuchhala
tidruG wrote:
How about a monthly pay to have the option to disable everyone else's signatures when you surf the forums. I'm sure this would drastically improve page-loading times for you.
Truly agreeable!!!

One decent use of FRIH$s. And I know many ppl who have limited monthly bandwith and they will just love it.

I also like the idea of spending your FRIH$'s for a custom made Rank, and the ability to have multiple WWW links in the profile.

But heck its going to be a heck of a job, trying to code them Razz
Bondings
tidruG wrote:
How about a monthly pay to have the option to disable everyone else's signatures when you surf the forums. I'm sure this would drastically improve page-loading times for you.

Unfortunately I'm already planning to make that one a profile feature - without any costs.
babumuchhala
Bondings wrote:
tidruG wrote:
How about a monthly pay to have the option to disable everyone else's signatures when you surf the forums. I'm sure this would drastically improve page-loading times for you.

Unfortunately I'm already planning to make that one a profile feature - without any costs.
Grrr.....

Please make it paid. What the hell am i going to do with my FRIH$s. Marketplace is where I dont go, bidding for directory position not intrested!!!

Atleast this was something i did use my FRIH$s. But heck, looks like u have made ur mind up on giving it for free Sad
ninjakannon
babumuchhala wrote:
Please make it paid. What the hell am i going to do with my FRIH$s.

Well, I'm trying to get more FRIH$ than n0obie4life (*Hint* *Hint* Razz), which is going to take some time - but I'm a third of the way there now. About sigs, I like them and won't ever turn them off - although I can see that some people would like to turn them off. Wouldn't this devalue sig advertising though?

Anyway, I'm all for extra things to do with your FRIH$; however, I am strongly against any form of rank editing, name style editing, getting extra avatar space. Animal pointed out that increasing the max avatar size wouldn't be a good idea simply because it would stop the forum displaying nicely - which I am in full agreement with. Furthermore, the other things that I mentioned would just look unprofessional and [in my opinion] unorganised and almost 'scruffy'. I like the current look of FriHost, the colour scheme and everything is great, it's also regular and professional. I wouldn't want this to change.

I quite like the idea of being able to buy the ability to earn extra FRIH$ per post, as I often post messages which are far more than 4 FRIH$. However, that doesn't make it a good idea. 4 FRIH$ is a good price, and a fair price - the people who post most, and the people who are very businesslike, for want of a better word, are the ones with most FRIH$. The one's who post most would just get a way of getting more FRIH$ quickly, which would quickly increase the difference between the 'richest' group of members and the 'poorest'. This would push prices in the marketplace up and thus stop the 'poorer' users from being able to buy things. Although, they would be able to sell services, items etc. for more. I'm just offering my thoughts on this, I can't work out whether it will be a good thing or not, although I'm erring on the side of this having more cons at the moment.

Also, there should definitely not be any increase in the number of points members can get. Even though it is likely that the only users who would be able to afford a max points upgrade would be the users who posted often anyway. 45 is plenty of points, I would be perfectly happy if it was less to be honest; after all, you do have a month and a half to get back here and keep your points positive - would not a month be adequate?
Blaster
Animal wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:
Multiple 'website' fields in profile

I think this is a pretty good suggestion... although I'm not sure how easy / possible it would be to code in phpBB.

it would be pretty easy actually. I could probley do the coding in like a half hour if that.
babumuchhala
ninjakannon wrote:
About sigs, I like them and won't ever turn them off - although I can see that some people would like to turn them off. Wouldn't this devalue sig advertising though?
NO ONE LIKES ADS. And thats the main reason people dont want to see sigs. But since its an active market of placing ads in sigs, it would only make sense to make ppl pay to not see them.


ninjakannon wrote:
I quite like the idea of being able to buy the ability to earn extra FRIH$ per post, as I often post messages which are far more than 4 FRIH$. However, that doesn't make it a good idea. 4 FRIH$ is a good price, and a fair price - the people who post most, and the people who are very businesslike, for want of a better word, are the ones with most FRIH$. The one's who post most would just get a way of getting more FRIH$ quickly, which would quickly increase the difference between the 'richest' group of members and the 'poorest'. This would push prices in the marketplace up and thus stop the 'poorer' users from being able to buy things. Although, they would be able to sell services, items etc. for more. I'm just offering my thoughts on this, I can't work out whether it will be a good thing or not, although I'm erring on the side of this having more cons at the moment.
Heck no!!! No increase in points per post and blah blah, and you have rightly said why. Plus just if at the start of frihost, if the points were dished out the way they are now, i am pretty sure my FRIH$s would be showing double the value.

ninjakannon wrote:
Also, there should definitely not be any increase in the number of points members can get. Even though it is likely that the only users who would be able to afford a max points upgrade would be the users who posted often anyway. 45 is plenty of points, I would be perfectly happy if it was less to be honest; after all, you do have a month and a half to get back here and keep your points positive - would not a month be adequate?
NO 45 is fine, thats because, i am not getting that much time anymore as i had say abt a year ago. Plus am feeling a lot bored on this forum (and i know i am not alone with this). The forums getting too crappy and borring.
unknownc1c
i think it's an interesting idea, it does seem sort of worthless to me, if i want some sort of avatar or signature i can make those myself so i don't see why the money is there....
ninjakannon
unknownc1c wrote:
i think it's an interesting idea, it does seem sort of worthless to me, if i want some sort of avatar or signature i can make those myself so i don't see why the money is there....

Some people either don't have the programs to create good quality images, don't have the time, don't have the a computer with the capabilities to run programs which will enable them to create a good quality avatar or signature image. Or they just don't have the skill.

I'm one of those who is able to create an avatar or signature image which is okay, but there are some members of this forum who have amazing skill in creating images and people are happy to spend their FRIH$ for an image created by one of these talented people.

Check out this thread, for example.
garionw
I was thinking the other day, maybe you could pay to have your contest/product (In the Marketplace) stickied for a month.

No to keep that fair, the price (For a month) could be 10 percent of the user's Frih$ and with a minimum off 10 Frih$. This would mean that in order to get stickied you would need to have more than 100 Frih$.

This could boost certain competition's not doing to well, but again to keep it fair, you can only have it stickied every second month.


Maybe this topic should be stickied (Suggest Way's to spend Frih)
babumuchhala
garionw wrote:
I was thinking the other day, maybe you could pay to have your contest/product (In the Marketplace) stickied for a month.

No to keep that fair, the price (For a month) could be 10 percent of the user's Frih$ and with a minimum off 10 Frih$. This would mean that in order to get stickied you would need to have more than 100 Frih$.

This could boost certain competition's not doing to well, but again to keep it fair, you can only have it stickied every second month.


Maybe this topic should be stickied (Suggest Way's to spend Frih)


Hmm....

Nice idea dude, people will rush to get their threads in Marketplace stickied Very Happy

But i think the 1 month duration be very long, a week or max 15 days could be fine.

Also if everyone has to pay an X amount then all we will have is stickies and only stickies. So we could have a system where u have to bid for say 10 available locations every 15 days. And to prevent misuse of same topics getting stickied, again and again, if you get ur topic sticked, in the next bidding round, that person be barred (and be most welcome in the round after), so everyone gets a fair chance.
saratdear
Quote:

Hmm....

Nice idea dude, people will rush to get their threads in Marketplace stickied Very Happy

But i think the 1 month duration be very long, a week or max 15 days could be fine.

Also if everyone has to pay an X amount then all we will have is stickies and only stickies. So we could have a system where u have to bid for say 10 available locations every 15 days. And to prevent misuse of same topics getting stickied, again and again, if you get ur topic sticked, in the next bidding round, that person be barred (and be most welcome in the round after), so everyone gets a fair chance.


Now that's quite an interesting idea!
Instead of 10 locations, you could reduce it to 5. And also, maybe instead of the whole bidding thing, you could raise it to a certain price...say 250frih$. Or, we could ask Bondings to have an option in the profile or account page to make our thread a stickie!

The possibilities are endless.... Wink
ninjakannon
One month is too long for any contest or topic in the marketplace. I think a week is perfectly adequate as most contests don't last much longer. Also, if something is stickied in the marketplace then it's likely to be answered quickly. Also, they would have to be unstickied once they're over / solved or whatever.

This would create quite a bit of extra work for the moderators and be irritating if you want to look at the rest of the topics (after all the first pages of these forums could get quite full with stickies), so this would have to be quite expensive.

I also think that it would be a good idea to implement rules such as "You are only allowed one sticky at a time", and "You are only allowed one sticky per month" (both would be implemented in the php script which would run this). These would ensure that there weren't too many stickies.

However, I'm still against the idea. I don't want to have to scroll past the stickies to get to the rest of the topics once I've looked at the stickies. I ignore stickies quite a lot anyway - even if there are new posts in them - because I've already read them all and don't need to pay attention to them. So I might actually not see a stickied topic so quickly. This is also annoying as there would be less room on the first page for other topics and I rarely look at pages further than the first, so many people would get their services, needs or competitions merely ignored.

I think there are more cons than pros to this, unfortunately.
babumuchhala
Hey every idea has its own Pro's and con's.

First we suggested, paying for freedom from viewing sigs, and then bondings cam and spoilt it saying he's going to give it for free.

Then we had tons of ideas and the only one thats stuck is the sticky idea.

Plus 5 stickies aint going to affect the page with 70 topics!!!
Hogwarts
Er... Get GreaseMonkey. Then get a script to hide the images in peoples signatures.
Quote:
I'M SORRY!!!
Mohammed Muchhala, © 2006, All Rights Reserved
Image removed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/muchhalasworld.gif


You can even get scripts for quick reply and stuff Very Happy
babumuchhala
Hogwarts wrote:
Er... Get GreaseMonkey. Then get a script to hide the images in peoples signatures.
Quote:
I'M SORRY!!!
Mohammed Muchhala, © 2006, All Rights Reserved
Image removed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/muchhalasworld.gif


You can even get scripts for quick reply and stuff Very Happy
UMM... thats not the point dear. U need to be able to spend ur FRIH$s somewhere.

And most of them dont have GreasyMonkey. I dont bcos I use Opera and not FF!!!
Hogwarts
babumuchhala wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
Er... Get GreaseMonkey. Then get a script to hide the images in peoples signatures.
Quote:
I'M SORRY!!!
Mohammed Muchhala, © 2006, All Rights Reserved
Image removed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/muchhalasworld.gif


You can even get scripts for quick reply and stuff Very Happy
UMM... thats not the point dear. U need to be able to spend ur FRIH$s somewhere.

And most of them dont have GreasyMonkey. I dont bcos I use Opera and not FF!!!


http://my.opera.com/Contrid/blog/2007/02/11/how-to-greasemonkey-in-opera

I'm amazed at how people seem incapable of using Google... But, whatever.

Also, you can get frih$ at the marketplace, and wait until Bondings adds in the new features until you use them. Get them while they have a low value Wink
ninjakannon
babumuchhala wrote:
Plus 5 stickies aint going to affect the page with 70 topics!!!

Well for a start, there are already 4 stickies and one announcement in the Marketplace forum; with the introduction of a 'pay for stickies' system there would be around 10 and possibly up to 15 (including the current stickies and the announcement) topics there. Personally, I think this would add clutter to the forum and make the important stickies seem far less important.

Hogwarts wrote:
Er... Get GreaseMonkey. Then get a script to hide the images in peoples signatures.

This would be great and okay if everyone could use GreaseMonkey and if everyone who could get GreaseMonkey wanted to. Unfortunately, not everyone can get GreaseMonkey (there are plenty of IE users, you know) and not everyone with Firefox (or Opera, or whatever) will want to.
But if it's a forum option to hide these things then everyone can use it - you can't rely on specific program features to substitute forum features.
garionw
ninjakannon wrote:
This would be great and okay if everyone could use GreaseMonkey and if everyone who could get GreaseMonkey wanted to. Unfortunately, not everyone can get GreaseMonkey (there are plenty of IE users, you know) and not everyone with Firefox (or Opera, or whatever) will want to.
But if it's a forum option to hide these things then everyone can use it - you can't rely on specific program features to substitute forum features.



Theres GeaseMonkey for IE as well, its floating around in someones signature
ninjakannon
garionw wrote:
Theres GeaseMonkey for IE as well, its floating around in someones signature

Oh okay, you're right I just checked - I just assumed that there wouldn't be a version for IE.

However, the latter part of my argument still stands: not everyone will want it. As I said, if it's a forum option then everyone can use it; furthermore, if people visit FriHost on another computer, which happens not to have GreaseMonkey installed (I'd never heard of it before it was mentioned in this thread, so it's not hugely common), then I'd have to do without it instead of it still being available.
Related topics
points...
One More Question (About Points and FRIH$)
Higher points limit?
Points limit?
what happened to the 45 points thing?
Points problem?
why somebody have more points than 45
Why limit with 45 points?
Points/Coins/FRIH$ FAQ
Increase the total points limit!
Can Negative points limit be -30 ?
Use coins to pay for hosting
OH my... My points have gone minus...
45 Points Total or Only 45 Points in a Day?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.