FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dolphin extinct

maclui
Quote:
The Baiji Yangtze Dolphin is with all probability extinct. On Wednesday, in the city of Wuhan in central China, a search expedition, under the direction of the Institute for Hydrobiology Wuhan and the Swiss-based baiji.org Foundation, drew to a finish without any results. During the six-week expedition scientists from six nations desperately searched the Yangtze in vain.

http://www.baiji.org/

Back in 1997 there were 13 of them, now a multinational expedition has found none. Too sad story, This will be the fist cetacean extinguished by human activities.
peaceninja
The dodo and the white dolphin shall seek their revenge someday...

i think things like this sounds alarming, 3000 years ago do you think species this large went extinct as frequently as now? Isn't it true that smaller species become extinct more frequently than larger species? or maybe the probability of becoming extinct based on your size is a parabolic curve and not a direct relationship??? ah!
ocalhoun
^It isn't the size of the animal that's important (it would actually help to be smaller, as you could fit more of them into limited habitat), it's the size of the population, and the size of the area that they can survive in.

This particular species had a very small population limited to a very small area, so it was very vulnerable to extinction. While mosquitoes, for example, have a very large population spread over a very large area, so they are not in very much danger of extinction.
cloudship
yes, that's a big problem. we are damaging our environment during our development and surviving. But along with the development of human being, many kinds of animals have distinguished. While human rights are still in dispute, the animal rights are still in discussion...
evilryu530
damn dolphins! thats crazy, this world is crazy, i dont know, they found like 20k species in japan or somthing riggh? thats nuts, it compensates, i wish there was an under water camera that can go deep down and swe can see how many creatures there are, it s so facinating.
yy1124
Thats one of the prettiest dolphin in the world...
I've heard about news years ago that said these dolphin are going to be extinct, and was hoping people might do something to prevent or prolong this from happening. But still...

Anyway, talking bout sea mammoth, there are news that Japan and some other countries are proposing to resume their whaling activities. It doesn't matter whether these activities are the "soul of your nation" or whatever, these should be stop.
Blu_Spykz
yy1124 wrote:
Thats one of the prettiest dolphin in the world...
I've heard about news years ago that said these dolphin are going to be extinct, and was hoping people might do something to prevent or prolong this from happening. But still...

Anyway, talking bout sea mammoth, there are news that Japan and some other countries are proposing to resume their whaling activities. It doesn't matter whether these activities are the "soul of your nation" or whatever, these should be stop.

Not enough people doing work to help.
JeepinJeff
People get so up in arms when a certain species like this goes extinct. It's survival of the fittest. The planet will always compensate.

And I also love that people only seem to care when the species in question is "cute"

There were probably a dozen of so slugs that went extinct but nobody gives a damn. Rolling Eyes
maclui
Quote:
People get so up in arms when a certain species like this goes extinct. It's survival of the fittest. The planet will always compensate.

In this case it was not caused by natural selection, This animal extinguished because of human activities, and that is the importance of this case we are in every way altering the natural path of nature, and of course the cute species are more vulnerable, because they will make us feel so guilty. LOL
QrafTee
maclui wrote:
Quote:
The Baiji Yangtze Dolphin is with all probability extinct. On Wednesday, in the city of Wuhan in central China, a search expedition, under the direction of the Institute for Hydrobiology Wuhan and the Swiss-based baiji.org Foundation, drew to a finish without any results. During the six-week expedition scientists from six nations desperately searched the Yangtze in vain.

http://www.baiji.org/

Back in 1997 there were 13 of them, now a multinational expedition has found none. Too sad story, This will be the fist cetacean extinguished by human activities.

I believe we thought the seals or sea lions or something were extinct before. Perhaps they've just hid somewhere? If it's true then it sucks because dolphins are hella nice creatures.

peaceninja wrote:
The dodo and the white dolphin shall seek their revenge someday...

i think things like this sounds alarming, 3000 years ago do you think species this large went extinct as frequently as now? Isn't it true that smaller species become extinct more frequently than larger species? or maybe the probability of becoming extinct based on your size is a parabolic curve and not a direct relationship??? ah!

I believe after humans started doing things that we do best we've increased the overall extinction rate by 10x-100x. That's pretty damn scary.