FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OpenSUSE

WickedGravity
Now, i downloaded this yesterday to give it a little peek-a-boo and evaluate it based on other *nix OS'es I have run in the past. I should have known something was up when not only could I not download the file from their servers, as it was repeatedly timing out, I could not even download the torrent file from them so that I could take advantage of that.

I had to Google for a mirror site for precisely what I wanted and then all went nice and smooth. The download flew by and before you knew it I was burning the DVD.

No issues with the install, it was very straight forward, but then again, when you are formatting, ALL Linux installs get a little easier don't they?

I log into the system, I chose Gnome out of preference and I saw that there was some updates available.

This is when the issues began.

I couldn't get the update to work, I assumed it was a timeout error as it was before, and i was correct. The mirrors were busy, the private mirrors were busy, the RSYNC mirrors were busy, etc...

It took me three hours to update 30MB worth of files, and that is just not acceptable.

I may like the look and feel of the OS, but I certainly don't like the support architecture that is available for it at the moment.
ocalhoun
Well, you could always go to the commercial SuSE (which can legally be downloaded for free as per the GPL). The commercial versions have much better support provided by Novell. (Though I think you have to pay for the support now, but I'm not sure about that)
linexpert
google for "linuxforums"
forums are the best way to get support for linux. Novell will charge you to offer support of you've got to buy the retail version for 90 bucks.
best to go to linux forums Very Happy
ezekiel_rage
WickedGravity wrote:
Now, i downloaded this yesterday to give it a little peek-a-boo and evaluate it based on other *nix OS'es I have run in the past. I should have known something was up when not only could I not download the file from their servers, as it was repeatedly timing out, I could not even download the torrent file from them so that I could take advantage of that.

I had to Google for a mirror site for precisely what I wanted and then all went nice and smooth. The download flew by and before you knew it I was burning the DVD.

No issues with the install, it was very straight forward, but then again, when you are formatting, ALL Linux installs get a little easier don't they?

I log into the system, I chose Gnome out of preference and I saw that there was some updates available.

This is when the issues began.

I couldn't get the update to work, I assumed it was a timeout error as it was before, and i was correct. The mirrors were busy, the private mirrors were busy, the RSYNC mirrors were busy, etc...

It took me three hours to update 30MB worth of files, and that is just not acceptable.

I may like the look and feel of the OS, but I certainly don't like the support architecture that is available for it at the moment.

As you have stated, the servers are busy.

So ignore the updates for now and wait till the server load lowers.

The servers are overloaded as of this time because openSUSE is the flavor of the month. Virtually everybody want to get a peek and see what the fuss is all about.

I can tell you that that "fuss" is indeed an awesome "fuss".

I installed OpenSUSE 10.2 with XGL, compiz and beryl.

and I'm still smiling about it.
ezekiel_rage
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, you could always go to the commercial SuSE (which can legally be downloaded for free as per the GPL). The commercial versions have much better support provided by Novell. (Though I think you have to pay for the support now, but I'm not sure about that)

SLED10 is free to download but the downloaded version does not come with any support.

Yes, you do have to buy support from Novell.
ezekiel_rage
linexpert wrote:
google for "linuxforums"
forums are the best way to get support for linux. Novell will charge you to offer support of you've got to buy the retail version for 90 bucks.
best to go to linux forums Very Happy

SuSE's wiki is very helpful, it covers most issues (at least the most notable ones)

But 90 bucks for guaranteed support as opposed to $600 for just the bare Redmond OS?

It's a steal!
{name here}
I'd download this thing, but with the whole Microsoft + SCO + Novell vs. Linux thing I don't think I want to download something that's in a way trying to kill itself.
Commando_Sondre
I went from OpenSUSE to Solaris, and, I'm not going back again!
Handyman
I'm downloading it right now. I think it won't hurt to give it a try. But I know that I will probably stick with Fedora Core6.
whitewhisper
I'v used suse for some time The desktop and the server at work and at home i use OpenSUSE ,that's right support for it is not easy but i found that support for any open linux distribution is GOOGLE ,mingle around the result and a new world opens up .
By the way the XGL works like a charm , can't complain but need the updates and a nice video card (not something fancy).
sergio_ykz
I dont like the software restrition inpused by Suse in softwares like Xine.

How linux substitute windows if you don't have a DVD support and a simple, but I don't live if it, MP3 Player. Question Question Question Question Question
bongoman
Commando_Sondre wrote:
I went from OpenSUSE to Solaris, and, I'm not going back again!

while Solaris seems like an interesting curiosity, and that it technically is a Unix not a Linux, the fact that Sun doesn't license it as GPL sort of bothers me about it. As for OpenSUSE itself I tried downloading it the other day from their servers without a problem, installed it, but decided to go with Fedora instead, for some reason the graphics drivers for my mobility radeon in suse always give me a headache, even after I have done all the right settings.