FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help me Upgrade my PC

teko
I have the following PC:

Antec LanBoy Case
Intel P4 2GHz Northwood
Aopen AX45F-4DN Motherboard
768 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
80GB Sata Harddrive
Be Quiet 400 W PSU

This is getting a bit old now so looking to upgrade it. Any ideas on what I should do? My main uses are surfing, development work, and some light gaming. Would be looking for a possible CPU/Motherboard upgrade while keeping the rest of the components.

Any ideas or would I be better off selling this off and building a new rig?
ravi_9793
wht more u want.U have a decent confrigation as per ur requirement.No need to upgrade.U may add hard disk to increase ur sorage...and may add dev writer.
brycearonium
Apple is the way to go.

The new mac line is just awesome! You can get the iMac in a few sizes, and they rock. And if you're like "welll i don't know...it's a mac" remember you can run windows on it too! It has BOTH. That is what makes it so great. The hardware may not be the fastest, though these machines smoke. Buit you can run both os's. Man, that is awesome. I used to be a HUGE PC fanboy, but i have made the switch lately, and i'm not looking back. If you really want upgrade options go for the mac pro. You can upgrade and expand all you want, and it's REALLY fast. Hope that helps, just saying, consider a mac.
teko
ravi_9793 wrote:
wht more u want.U have a decent confrigation as per ur requirement.No need to upgrade.U may add hard disk to increase ur sorage...and may add dev writer.

Very good point, but I've itchy fingers and want to start playing around with some newer hardware! Smile

I think you're right though it really is fine for what I need right now, although it is running a bit noisey, maybe I should spend my money on a better CPU cooler and GPU cooler instead.

Thanks for thought!

Regarding the Apple, I would love to get my hands on one of those apple macbooks they're class. I like them alot but dont have the cash for them Sad
Timonator
Your processor can use an update.

Then i would go for a Pentium 4 prescott core with 3400Mhz 1mb cache and 800Mhz FSB

And maybe a new graphics card:
Club3D Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB DDR3

The rest it seems quite a nice configuration.
teko
dont think my motherboard supports the Prescott CPU much check that out again otherwise thanks for the suggestion
ForceRun
if you want to play with new hardware, and have a system that will last for the next 3-5 years, and get 20times the speed. Grab a conroe based system.

1.86 Dual-Core
Core 2 Duo E6300
Operating Frequency 1.86GHz
FSB 1066MHz
L1 Cache 32KB+32KB
L2 Cache 2M sharing
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115005

SUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131030

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231102

BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049

All for about $400

You might also want to get a 320Gb WD HardDrive for $95

Keep the case, PSU, drives...
teko
My current PSU only has a 20-pin ATX connector so would need to upgrade to a PSU with a 24-pin ATX connector. Unless its possible to get an adaptor??

Wish I could order off Newegg their prices are great, the parts you have suggested are coming up at 603 euro's ( when I go to sites which deliver to Ireland) which is about 789 dollars!!
ForceRun
Guess I'm to use to US prices, sorry.

the Conroe really is worth the cost, if you are willing, just buy one part at a time and as you have the cash build your new system.

As far as the 20 to 24 pin, you can run off a 20 pin just fine. The mobo takes either, so it will work fine off your current PSU. But you may want to upgrade that down the line, PSU are only good for 3-5 years and if you plan on heavy overclocking ( conroe easily goes to 3.6Ghz!!! or so) and running heavy video card solution and higher powered more dependable PSU is very important.
TheGeek
For what you use it for it sounds like you could use a little more power but honestly your system is not half bad for what its worth.

The only thing I would say is if you plan on keeping you motherboard and processor upgrade your RAM if anything. 1GB or more is preferred now a days.

If you plan on getting a new motherboard however, then chances are you are going to need to get a new processor, RAM and graphics card with it.

AGP is basically non-existent now so any motherboard you get will likely need a PCI-Express graphics card. The best bang for the buck is the 7600GT or 7900GS depending on your price range. I have a 7600GT and I can play anything on at least medium quality if not high quality at 1024x768 res.

DDR is becoming harder to find and what you can find is more expensive since DDR2 is more prevalent on most motherboards today. If you plan on upgrading your motherboard and it takes DDR2 your best bet is to get DDR2-800 at the least. Corsair, OCZ and G.Skill are the brands to look for in that area and again, no less than 1GB and preferably 2 sticks of 512mb to equal 1GB is best for performance purposes and 2 sticks of 1GB if you plan on going with 2GB of RAM.

The best processors on the market right now are undeniably the Intel Core2Duo or C2D processors. The C2D processor is a dual core processor that runs very cool and has a LOT of power even at the lower clock speeds such as the E6300 @ 1.8Ghz. If you choose to go the AMD route, the Opteron line is the way to go with them right now. A 1.8Ghz Opteron 165 can be had for about $160(USD) and also will support DDR RAM instead of DDR2 so you could potentially re-use your existing RAM.

A 400W PSU will do you fine as long as you do not get a super amazing graphics card and will certainly be fine if you get an EE series AMD processor or C2D since they suck a mear 35-65W of power. 400W will support a single 7600GT just fine, though you may want to upgrade to 450-500W if you get the 7900GS.

My personal recommendation for upgrades is as follows:

Intel Core2Duo E6300
Any AsRocks or Asus LGA775(Socket T) motherboard
G.Skill 1GB(2x512mb) DDR2-800
nVidia 7600GT or 7900GS (dependant on money wanted to be spent)

In total this sytem should cost about $450-600(USD) and will last you at least 3 years with what you use it for. Though 2GB might be advisable if you plan on Vista at some point...[/i]