FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anime WORST Endings

Dark_Tiger
Well, we've got a thread on what the best endings are, how about one for the worst?

For me, the worst would have to be Nightwalker. The first DVD was filled with promise for a great plotline, dramatic story, and angst. The last 4 eps were the most trite piece of Ican'tsayithere that I've ever seen.

Of course, Trigun is also on the list. I personally put EVA on the worst list, but I know I'm in the minority on that here.
Aiz
Worst ending, hehehe just the thread I need. As a matter of fact, I haven't liked any of the anime endings I've seen. Because they were either very inconclusive or just rushed and badly done.

Fruits basket - the manga was still on-going at the time of the anime, and it seems they just ran out of money and forced the anime to end. It was one of those "WTF?!" endings.

Trigun - I agree it's ending sucked too. I watched this a long time ago but it's still so vivid in my mind, there were alot of loose ends and it just ended with him waving? Another "WTF" ending >_<

Midori no Hibi - Although the anime kept true to the manga and did the ending according to how the manga was done, but the ending rendered the one thing pointless. I won't give it away, but it's definitely disappointing.

Those are all the ones that came to the top of my head.
Chelissamow
I would say Fruits Basket as well. But they only ended it like that because they didn't have enough material to work with since the manga wasn't finished. I hope they finish the anime since the manga is now finished in Japan.

Also, although I haven't seen this ending yet, my friend told me that the InuYasha anime ending is horrible. I haven't been keeping up with the show nor the manga so I can't say much about it. But I'd love it if they continued the show in Japan because I'd rather watch the Japanese version than the English dub.
bond4154
The ending to the End of Evangelion really "didn't end with a bang, but with a whimper". The abrupt ending, preceded only by the line "I feel sick" didn't do anything to make me feel a lot for the anime.

The ending to Gundam SEED Destiny, as well as the series in general, sucked balls as well.
vanille
Spirited Away - DONT GET ME WRONG. I loved this movie, but what a cliffhanger ending. And they didn't make a second one. (right?)

I've noticed that most Japanese animes end with a cliffhanger-ish ending. I think it's part of their culture...? For example, the OVAs I watch always end with a very bare ending. The same thing goes for the mangas I read. Like in the romance for Eerie Queerie -> it's yaoi (not shounen-ai) and they kiss and stuff for all four books and in the end, the two characters make up and then <i>they don't kiss!</i>
chastise
Fullmetal Alchemist has a great ending yet a bad ending. The ending is kind of bitter sweet. It leaves you wondering. It wasn't exactly "the perfect ending", but I think I'll survive. I haven't come across an anime where I hated the ending.
Asgardsfall
My personal favourite "hated it" ending is Berserk.
The series was great the ending just sucked.
Handermier
chastise wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist has a great ending yet a bad ending. The ending is kind of bitter sweet. It leaves you wondering. It wasn't exactly "the perfect ending", but I think I'll survive. I haven't come across an anime where I hated the ending.

I have to agree with this. I am a big fan of Full Metal Alchemist and really loved how all the things tied togetherfrom the beginning to the end. The last episode...51, I believe?...was just a set up for the movie. Instead of having a real ending it was just a small build up.

I didn't really like the ending to the movie either. The Elric brothers giving up all their friends and family to be on our side of the gate? Just seems sort of anti-climactic. Though I did enjoy how each character's double was int eh movie. Over all I still was hoping for more. Maybe another movie to get the Elric brothers back to their side of the realm.

-Handermier
ColdFire
Samurai X's ending is the worse one ive watched so far. First, Kenshin left his wife and baby boy, and so the child grew up without a father. Second, he contracted an "incurable" disease in his travels, AIDS or Ebola if you ask me. Then Kaori also got the freakin disease and they both died leaving their son behind. So freakin lame!!! Evil or Very Mad
Handermier
Hmmm, that makes me wonder why my girlfriend likes that anime movie so much. She loves Kenshin and has been hunting down teh movie for a few months since watching it at a friend's house.

Weird.

-Handermier
Pikokola
Well.. Rurouni kenshi have some charm that can be revealed easily, it's show both history, romance and manything at same time ^^

btw, worst ending is : Ichigo 100%
Actualy the "real"ending of this manga is not too good either, but it's much more better than the anime T___T
urbanbuddha
Get Backers

Since the anime caught up to the manga, they completely built this long series (about 50 eps) to complete back away from their "ultimate" goal.

For fans that were interested in the anime were either stuck with an anime ending that felt like a waste of time or hunt down the manga to get the real story.
rampantinsanity
One of the worst Anime endings that I've ever seen has to be : FLCL.

SPOILER ALERT! Don't read this if you haven't seen the end of FLCL!

***Spoiler Space***

***Spoiler Space***

It ended with the main character getting all of the super powers of a legendary pirate and the female main character battling with him and getting a kiss out of it. Then, the powers that he just got were transfered back into the legendary pirate who vanished and was immediately followed the female character vanishing as well and offering the male character the chance to come with her. Then she CHANGED HER MIND and told him that he was too young. WTF?

It ended with the boy going back to life as usual, the only other character he knew left town to become a photographer. It just wasn't right....
Chalchihuitlicue
I'd honestly have to say, of the anime that I've seen, Spiral had the worst ending. Well, the worst EVERYTHING after the first episode. It was almost like they blew the entire budget animating the opening and the first episode, then just threw the rest of it together in about a week. And the one question that keeps getting asked throughout the entire series ("What are the Blade Children?") is NEVER answered! It's not even really hinted at! Nor do we ever find out what happened to Ayumu's brother.

That show really frustrated me, because the first episode was beautiful, and the series had such promise. But it ended up with terrible animation, being very repetetive, and having no plot whatsoever.

I do agree that GetBackers had a kind of crappy ending, but nothing I'd call the worst. The same goes for Fruits Basket. Given that the manga was ongoing for both when the anime ended, I think they did a fairly decent job with what they had to work with. Naruto, on the other hand...
Seiji
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien had a pretty bad ending. Everyone who watched that heartbreaking series probably thought so. He ended up with the wrong girl in the end. It wasn't even a tough decision for him.
Eneru
ColdFire wrote:
Samurai X's ending is the worse one ive watched so far. First, Kenshin left his wife and baby boy, and so the child grew up without a father. Second, he contracted an "incurable" disease in his travels, AIDS or Ebola if you ask me. Then Kaori also got the freakin disease and they both died leaving their son behind. So freakin lame!!! Evil or Very Mad

Really?! I didn't know that! I thought it's one of those that has happy endings.
What a pathetic ending.
NewGuyinTown
Worst ending for the anime I've seen is:

Rozen Maiden Traumend - I love the series and the anime, but I hated how this series ended. It was rushed (and I didn't like how they introduce the fake 7th doll and fake Rozen into the storyline).

Gundam Seed Destiny - This sequel was never good to begin with... but it ended horribly. This sequel just ruined the original Gundam Seed.

Chrno Crusade - First anime I watched with subtitles... Don't know why I hated the ending. Probably that villian did not die when the protagonists defeated him in the last battle.
varon
Spoilers! Highlight the text below for more info.

Rurouni Kenshin. So disappointed with the ending -- the animators just left it off before the Jinchuu arc! And that WAS the best last volumes of the manga! Plus, they didn't even live up to the promise and potential that Watsuki-sensei's manga promised... the second OAV (original anime video) sucked big time, Kenshin and Enishi's fight was just about ten seconds?! hehe that's exaggerating sure but still...! it sucks, really. XD
Kirbyssj
chastise wrote:

But I mean the movie ending was good and I really liked it. But I guess if you haven't seen the movie ending and just ended with the show ending it would rly suck.
roninmedia
Love Hina. They left off several volumes from the manga. Horrible.
prilly_baby
I would have to say EVA hands down. Wow just. ugh i feel like talking about it but i dont want to give it away. oh what the heck. Okay who wants to watch an ending of all mankind dying because of some stupid boy (shinji) that personally hates life itself. ...so stupid..
Chalchihuitlicue
varon wrote:
Rurouni Kenshin

I had always heard/read that Kenshin was cancelled after the filler stories started, because people just stopped watching, and that's why the final arc was never animated. As far as I know, that arc of the manga was still being written when the anime finished the Shishio arc. I'd never heard that they just "stopped doing it". There's quite a difference between a show being cancelled and the animation company just ceasing production because they felt like it.
xj975
Eva had a terrible ending.
Trigun as well.
Tenjo Tenge had an ending and 2 Ova's which solved nothing, and offered no closure what so ever.
Tex_Arcana
Instead of repeating some that have already been mentioned I'll just name the worst most recent I watched (and it's been some time). Wanna talk about your WTF endings definately Magicano had one of those.

The ending goes right back to the beginning. What's worse is I can't tell if one person I saw comment on the series was being serious or not when they were asking about a second season..... I told them if they want a second season or more just start over from the beginning.

Oh, and of course I was pretty disappointed with the ending of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. For such a great series it just seemed to have a very lame ending.
Scaramanga
Tex_Arcana wrote:
Oh, and of course I was pretty disappointed with the ending of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. For such a great series it just seemed to have a very lame ending.

Blasphemy! Also you know there IS another season in the works right?

I'd posit that Haruhi wasn't a normal show in ANY sense of the word, so why would you expect a "normal" ending? Heck, it's not even a reset in the truest sense of the word.
mansonivan
worst ending... hhmm.... anyone know "hikaru no go"? it was a very good manga. but the bad thing is it finished too fast. I heard it stop drawing bcoz some korean sued them coz they using the real name of d players and this make them have to stop drawing. Mad
Seiji
I finished watching Onegai Twins and it had a terrible ending. Not only was the ending bad but the series sort of sucked too.
Sensei-kun
for me almost all animes have bad endings, there are always things that I think that could've been better, but there are a few out there that really satisfied me

but the top of the worst ending is Inuyasha for me I think. Since that was still 1 of my first animes that I watched, was very excited about it, but then it suddendly stopped after more then 160 episodes and says to continue with the manga Shocked that really p!ssed me of back then Evil or Very Mad
Lobo23
(I've seen so many spoilers it makes me sad to know the endings of the animes I'm currently reading Crying or Very sad )

The worst ending I think I've seen was just when dragonball Z went down hill, in my mind, that's an ending... after the sayajin saga it really... Strong enough to blow up the world with one finger in the sayajin saga, yet.. when they're like 50X stronger later on, they barely hold back... the physics are really messed up. DBZ and DB were atleast semi-realistic before frieza.. >sigh< with the end of DBZ there went my childhood days... Because I gave up watching DBGT.
Azmo
Asgardsfall wrote:

Well the Anime is just an introduction to the manga, wich starts just where the anime ends. But I agree, I was kinda pissed too when it ended.
hilander
Well, I have to say that the worst ending for me, was the End of Evangelion....All the chapters are very brilliant. The administration of sound,,and the distribution of scenes and time, just keeps you awake while thinking about the last chapter and imagining the next one. In a word...brilliant..I really enjoyed all the chaptes...but the last chapter,,the ending..Gosh,,..How to put it in words? The ending disapointed me. Is very out of these world..just too unreal.Very cooldblooded..no emotion at all,,very inhuman..and most of all...I would have prefered to see a ending like the stars wars ending...Spiritual happiness, great parade, girl, friends, and people....It would have been great that way..but, well, it is just my opinion..Cheers..
Master Yoda
I haven't really seen many anime series but from the ones I have seen, it has to be Detective Academy Q.. really stupid and abrupt ending.. it was such a well planned series and they screwed everything up.. hopefully, they'll get some sequel for it.. but if not, then Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Tex_Arcana
Scaramanga wrote:
Tex_Arcana wrote:

Blasphemy! Also you know there IS another season in the works right?

I'd posit that Haruhi wasn't a normal show in ANY sense of the word, so why would you expect a "normal" ending? Heck, it's not even a reset in the truest sense of the word.

I know. I really did like Melancholy a lot. I watched it over again several times (even watched the episodes in proper order in case to doubted my blasphemous nature Laughing .

I'm looking forward to the second season and yes I do plan to buy the DVD even though I've downloaded the series.
frak49
Asgardsfall wrote:

^^
maybe cos it not be ended at the moment ^^
there is only 24 or 23 at the moment
but i heard that there will might be another season which begin with book #17
the dark sacrifice will come Very Happy