FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where is the cheapest place to download music?

ryukenden
I wonder which place is the best place to download or buy music legally. I don't want illegal sites as they are risky.
peaceninja
allofmp3 is legal in russia, but that doesn't mean much!

I like the itunes experience anyways. My main question really is where is there to download music legally AND music that is not DRM'd or in some proprietary format. I'd rather have my music in a format that is independent of the player.

Why? Because I remember when I had a palm pilot I would spend hours and hours updating my contact information only to find out that I could not export it into some non proprietary format in case I needed to switch (this was back when palm used black and white screens). I think a lot of consumers need to learn from this unless they plan to stick to the same device forever.

Even microsoft's new Zune is not compatible with microsoft's other proprietary formats.

Oh wait, what was the question again?
KellaDayne
there are soooo many legal sites in russia, where you can download all free! i always do so! so there is one site, which collects all of them and there you can just type a name of the song and it would find you all the variants of sites on-line where you can load it. the only problem - it's all in russian and i don't know wheter anyone of you can use it... =(
Blaster
www.music.yahoo.com has some cheap songs. I believe it is like 89 cents or something like that. Its really not that bad. Its cheaper then i tones i know that much. My suggestion just pay for napster and get unlimited songs to download. Its 100% leagal to do so and all in all its probley a lot cheaper also.
Dragonfly
The cheapest place to download is to simply search on the google and with free tag included in the search item. You will get links to free music download. This is the cheapest way to download music. Among paid one, I too recommend Yahoo Music. The link is given above. All the best.
twisthigh
LIMEWIRE, it's absolutely free, or if you want you can pay for the program which gives you even more selection of songs and is much faster! Very Happy
jasmine
<James007>no no</James007>
altmana
I would go with Emusic.com. First of they have a great selection of music, lots of small indie label bands. Second they have NO DRm so you can do whatever put it on whatever music player you have, burn as many cd's as you want, etc. etc. And it is very cheap as they have 3 different subscription tiers
1)30 Song Downloads per month - for $9.99 per month
2)50 Song Downloads per month - for $14.99 per month
3)75 Song Downloads per month - for $19.99 per month

so that is pretty good, esp if you do some quick math and realize that you can pay 33cents, 30cents, or 26cents per song depending upon your plan. The only complaint that i could make against them is that they dont have a lossless download option (if they did then they really would be the cats pajamas.)
SO yea i would definitely recommend emusic to anyone as by far the best online legal place to get music. Plus they have tons of promotions so you can get 50 songs free to just try it, and then cancel and then join again a few months later for another 50 free songs.
violetgnu
Best place to buy music legally is the record store. If you're gonna pay for it, get it on vinyl, baby!
trumnation
Yeah but if he wanted to just buy it from a store im sure he would have done that. From what i've heard Itunes is one of the best places to buy music, but if you don't want to pay for it, I would recomend Limewire, like ome ppl have been saying in this thread already or bit torrent.
Insanity
Limewire isn't exactly illegal, but using it to download songs is, and the topic creator said he didn't want illegal things.
Srs2388
Dang... I was going to say Limewire, but it was already posted Confused
it is the cheapest though Very Happy
I'm not going to tell you to break the law, but I seriously doubt that the FBI will be comming for you for downloading a few songs
mstreet
I can't wait for Spiral Frog to actually launch. http://www.spiralfrog.com/about.aspx
It will be interesting to see what turn the industry takes in the near future with this.
BladeRunner
iTunes is a good place to start.

I wouldn't advise Limewire.

It's still cheaper (on the whole) to buy the CD though.
7Pound7
the drawback of cheap available or even free music is that you don't realize how special it is anymore. In the old days I used to by a record, go home and inhale it for days. Now I get 100 songs, put m on the ipod and after 2 hours I am bored.
BladeRunner
7Pound7 wrote:
the drawback of cheap available or even free music is that you don't realize how special it is anymore. In the old days I used to by a record, go home and inhale it for days. Now I get 100 songs, put m on the ipod and after 2 hours I am bored.

I couldn't agree more. Putting an original copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on a turntable...the whole tactile experience...it's lost with mp3s.
Fright Knight
BladeRunner wrote:
7Pound7 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Putting an original copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on a turntable...the whole tactile experience...it's lost with mp3s.

Very true. I used to be a cassette tape collector. Then those mp3 came out and the tapes were faced out here. I really want to kill. haha. But it's just sad that my days of tape collections were over. I wish i could save the tapes. Now, i only have 340 tapes. I wish could add up another half.
Carlos28
I use music downloader software to download music from YouTube - http://folksoft.com/youtubeget.html
abhizz
The thing is i never brought a song online, my bro: always purchase from itunes
standready
violetgnu wrote:
Best place to buy music legally is the record store. If you're gonna pay for it, get it on vinyl, baby!

Good vinyl is so hard to come by these days. I only have 3000+ collection.
Blummer
Smile If only I could obtain everything I have on CDs on vinyl, life would be perfect.
Insanity
I'm not sure if Amazon is available in your country, but that's what I use to download all my music. It's relatively cheap, and it has DRM-free songs, which is important.
william
violetgnu wrote:

Completely agreed here. I buy digital music because it's cheap, but whenever I want to invest in music, it's vinyl all the way. Though I find it a lot easier to buy vinyl online since record store collections these days are nothing to write home about.

Anyway, whenever I do buy digital music, I use Amazon MP3. Works pretty well and their album sale prices are superb. Not only that, but they frequently give out free MP3 credit in the range of $1-$3. Right now, this promotion is running. Just enter the code and you get $2 to spend, for free. Very Happy The options are great too. A few months ago I managed to get The Dark Side of the Moon for free...and it's legal. And as the above poster mentioned, the music is DRM free which I feel is a requirement for any digital music that gets my money. The files are 256 kbps VBR (variable bit-rate) which is great as far as mp3s are concerned. But nevertheless, it's still no match for vinyl.
catscratches
If the band has a Bandcamp-page, get it from there. That way you get lossless FLAC. There ain't better quality than lossless... literally.