FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fruit eating cat

fbcompany
my 3 month old kitten has developed a taste for fruit - especially mango and watermelon.
aside from having expensive tastes, is there anything wrong with giving him small amounts of fruit occasionally?

has anyone else got (or heard of) a cat that enjoys fruit?
vinx_18
It is possible and for me there's nothing wrong about that. Our cats even eat any food we give.
Captain Fertile
I knew a cat once who loved lettuce and anyting that tasted of garlic. As for fruit I've never seen a cat eat it before, I thought it would be too sweet for a cat's tastes.

I don't suppose it will do any harm as long as the cat is not replacing its normal diet with fruit. As long as it is still getting plenty of meat.

If it is harming the cat you should look out for changes in the cat's behaviour and vomiting or unusual bowel movements. Usually a cat will stop eating anything that is upsetting it.
Daisie
My cat goes bonker for watermelon... Shocked eat it right out of your mouth if he could !
No there is nothing wrong with cat eating fruits or vegs, it's actually good for them (providing it's not their main meal)
My dog love dry raisin (we use them as a reward for training), apple and bananas....

Very Happy
wiehls
fbcompany wrote:

aside from having expensive tastes

mangos are quite expensive!
TreasuredTrinkets
My cat loves strawberries. I have had lots of cats that have eaten different types of fruit though. never hurt any of them.
Arseniy
And did you ever heard a car that love honey and seeds?!
My cat is eating everything that I give to it but not milk. Weird...
KellaDayne
My 13 years old cat loves melon and water-melon, but even can't stand the smell of banana.
I think there's nothing strange in such tastes, animals like people have threir own gastronomic preferences ^_^
jayrelle
Its okay...my cat loves to eat fruits and vegetable like cabbage, squash, and mango.. Wink
Blaster
my cat eats pretty much anything. It eats corn and left over food scraps and all that good stuff. So i really don't see a problem with it. I do it and by the looks of it others do it too.
cybernie
our cat eats anything... bread, crackers, meat, fish, left-over foods, even commercial feeds for fish.
HoboPelican
As someone pointed out, a cats appetite can be pretty variable. One of my cats loved hot foods (anything with salsa or hot sauce). I wouldnt be worried, but please be aware that not all foods are good for cats (or dogs!).

Onions and garlic can cause hemolytic anemia in both dogs and cats. Here is one reference, but there are lots of vet sites with the same info.
vetinfo.com

I think I read also that dogs (not cats) have issues with chocolate.

Actually, that site I listed takes questions from visitors, so if you are worried just ask the vet there.
Blaster
i've heard the thing with dogs and chocolate too. I follow that rule and i really think it is a big concern. But i never thought about garlic or onions. Thanks for that site hobo it should really help out.
ashen
I think that is ok. I often see one of my cat eat garlic and onions, even some kind of vegetables.
sparlund
im allergic so i cant have cats, that so bad
HoboPelican
ashen wrote:
I think that is ok. I often see one of my cat eat garlic and onions, even some kind of vegetables.

Actually, it isn't ok.... I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day before I quit, does that make it safe? We are talking about ongoing damage to the cat, not immediate poisoning. Read the link.

Of course, if you have better information than that vet, share it with us. They are always finding out new info, so if you know of new research, let us know.
thealpha
my friend's cats eat fruit. They seems alright. But I think it really depends on different adaptation of different cats. Since mine can't try it.
TerrorBite
One of our cats eats anything we give it, in great quantity. Including curry.
But he doesn't eat carrot for some strange reason - it's practically the only thing he won't eat.
furtasacra
One of my cats BEGS for fresh raw veggies. If he hears me tearing up lettuce for a salad he runs into the kitchen and raises hell until I give him some. He's twelve years old, and has me trained to the point where I usually just make him his own little salad (without dressing) so he'll leave me alone while I eat my meal. It's almost funny, hearing the cat purring while he's crunching up his rabbit food.

He also eats peas, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, bell peppers, squash, okra, cucumbers, cabbage, celery, green beans, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, brussels sprouts and carrots. No vegetable is safe, except onions, but only raw - he'll eat them cooked. He also occasionally begs for fresh fruit. He likes bananas and cantaloupe. Some carnivore.

I asked my vet about it, and he said it's fine, as long as he stays bright-eyed and healthy.
bonestorm74
One of my cats loves pancakes.

You read it here first, pancakes.

Every time we eat them he wanders over and sticks his face in the plate until he gets fed a bit. No idea what attracts him to them and he doesn't seem to do it for any other kind of food.
HoboPelican
bonestorm74 wrote:
One of my cats loves pancakes.

You read it here first, pancakes.

Every time we eat them he wanders over and sticks his face in the plate until he gets fed a bit. No idea what attracts him to them and he doesn't seem to do it for any other kind of food.

Someone at your house must make some great pancakes! I was wondering though, is he after the flapjacks, the butter or the syrup?

I've had a number of cats that would eat bread, which is sort of pancake-like . But these felines I have now won't even look at human food. Even fish and chicken. Very boring, when it comes to food. Smile
Motoracer380
ok my cat loves maple brown sugar ham..doesnt effect him if i let him have some..and my dog loves cheese-its...dogs will eat everything..but a cat wont eat anything harmfull to them...no cat will eat anything poison to their body..things that will harm them..they just automatically know not to eat chocolate....BY THE WAY NEVER GIVE ANIMALS CHOCOLATE...extremley bad for them my dog raided my easter candy ones ate two whole chocolate bunnies...thank god she was alright.
HoboPelican
Motoracer380 wrote:
..but a cat wont eat anything harmfull to them...no cat will eat anything poison to their body..things that will harm them..they just automatically know not to eat chocolate.

While cats DO tend to know what is good and what isn't, please don't believe that they never eat anything poisonous. Google cats and poison and do a little research. There are LOTS of things cats have been known to eat that are deadly. A brief quote about a common poison that got one of my cats.
Quote:
ANTIFREEZE (ETHYLENE GLYCOL)
Poisoning with antifreeze is one of the most common poisoning conditions found in cats because ethylene glycol has a sweet taste that appeals to cats and dogs. One teaspoon of antifreeze can kill an average-sized cat.

http://www.doctordog.com/catbook/catpoison.html
khairulsyahir
yeah, yeah. Actually I thought it's kind of strange. I once went to this friend's house and we were eating durian ( a kind of fruit grown in Malaysia faously known for its strong smell. Well, it tastes very good, though). And suddenly, this cat come over and that friend gave it a piece of the durian. And yeah, to my surprise, it ate it! That's the first time I ever saw a cat doing that and till now, I haven't seen another.
ediedi
my cat will taste almost anything if i give it to her from my hand. the list includes: marmelade, ice cream, donuts, chocolate, and it's still open.
I’ve seen cats eat strange things– lettuce, dog food, spaghetti, lizards . . . But I’ve never seen a cat that liked sweets. Until i had a cat of my own... a a fat one at that
jasmine
I find that... quite cute. ^_^

Though I guess weirdness do sometimes come out from pets...

I mean, there was a time when we had a dog who attacked a rat.. and ate it! @__________@
paulbarter
I think that it is fine - if the cat enjoys it and is not getting sick, then no problem. We had a cat once that tried to eat anything and would climb up your leg to get at your food in your plate! A very determined cat that one! If your cat is looking healthy and acting fine, then there is no problem at all. They say that kittens should not drink milk, because it gives them an upset tummy - that one is for free!
Alias
Yup its possible, We have so many cats here in our house they eat all kinds of food. Even the foods that we didn't gave them... The foods that are stored in our refrigerator they eat and that thing really sucks. Mad
jasmine
Alias wrote:
Yup its possible, We have so many cats here in our house they eat all kinds of food. Even the foods that we didn't gave them... The foods that are stored in our refrigerator they eat and that thing really sucks. Mad

That is one reason my mom didn't want cats in the house though I begged for one when I was a kid. Sad
dizel
I, we got the dog... but i dont' know what old is he Laughing
AGW-Bryan
My cat eats alot of things but never fruit. Atleast not to my knowledge.
Rico
One of my cats like fruit, especially dried peaches. She’ll also go for grapes and cooked vegetables. My mom had a cat (I think it was a Siamese) that could finish an entire tomato and loved bird seed. I’ve also seen archive footage of a cat tackling and devouring a cucumber like it was a piece of prime fillet.
ujhan
My parents had a cat called "Face" that ate potato chips and rockmelon (canteloupe).. ..aparrently she would tackle you to the ground if you were eating the rockmelon. It has a similar texture to cucumber - perhaps there is something in that.

I've got a couple of kittens and was eating a mango in front of them tonight - one of them got spooked by it, the other sniffed at it a couple of times then walked away.. ..obviously not going to be a favourite fruit!

I'll have to try them on some other things...
SlowWalkere
A friend of mine had a fruit-eating cat. I didn't believe him until he produced a picture of the cat nibbling away at an apple.

My cats aren't into the whole fruit thing, but they do like people food. One cat in particular loves bread. I ordered Greek food one night and it came with pitas on the side. I left one of the pitas out, and in the morning it was half eaten and torn up.

What interests me the most, though, is what the cats don't like. Sometimes they won't want the meat, even if it has gravy on it. Some sauces, I guess, just don't appeal to then. Also, someone mentioned that their cat likes spicy food. Not mine. Every once in a while they take a taste, start sneezing, and walk the other way.

- Walkere
jasmine
I actually know someone who owns a cat who eats vegetables. LOL

And that is more weird, the cat is not into chasing MICE. XD
adonai
My cat very often eat tomates Smile Very funny to see when he play with then befor his dinner Smile
m_furquan36
Ive fed my cat pieces of apple and some oranges even,she seems to like them but i wouldnt replace her normal diet with it.
Shewolf
Mine likes oranges too, and potatoes and small pieces of apple etc, but he also love birdies and mice, and his normal dry food.
I was kind of surprised one day when he took a piece of cucumbre out of my hand and ate it. Anyway, he's a straange cat in many ways.
bulek
Wow, cats eating fruit and vegetables? I have never heard of anything like that. I have four cats at home and they only eat best food, they would never eat anything that looks like a fruit. However, if they are not satisfied with food which I give to them, they go to my neighbours and beg for meat Smile
fbcompany
my cat likes to eat only beef fillet and yet still wishes to piss every where. little bastard. i hate my cat.
budiman
I think it is ok for your cat to eat fruits. Except you afraid its appetite will make you less chance to go abroad (no money)....
bonestorm74
Our cat doesn't eat fruit, but he absolutely loves pancakes. He comes running from miles away when he smells them. He'll then sit looking over my shoulder until I give him some pancake. He absolutely wolfs it down.

I have no idea why he would like pancakes in particular over anything else, but obviously something tickles his fancy there. He seems to like the maple syrup also.
WRC Meister
you cant feed it chocolate at all, its pure posion, but fruits shouldent hurt, my cat eats potatoes, and mouses and so on, but my kitten is so evil, it refuses to eat cheap food, only the very expensive is it gonna eat, else it just walks in and sleep
dayveday
We used to have a cat who went crazy over corn! He'd hiss at you if you tried to come near him while he was eating it (which was the complete opposite of his usual personality!) and would sit there and turn the corn around with his paws. He also loved broccoli... strange!
Sventh
I did never heard of a cat eating fruit. But I think that that's normal. I"ve got a dog who also like fruit and vegetables! But she hates to eat an apple or a banana
patasarriba
I have a cat who loves to eat dog food! I'd agree with all the other posters and say that a small amount of fruit shouldn't hurt a cat, just remember to give them lots of meat because their digestive systems really aren't set up for fruit at all!
cybernie
There's nothing wrong with the cat eating fruits I guess. My friend's siamese cats eat fruits. He fed it with mango and oranges. The cat loves to eat cakes and ice cream. At first I never believed with what I saw. The cat even drink juices, coffe and softdrinks like coca-cola.

Once of my friend too has a parrot that loves to eat ice cream. One time I got a bird which I caught at our farm. My younger brother fed it with ice cream, it died Sad
azbuky
Smile My dog also eats fruits, especially cherry. It actually removes the pit away, while eating! Lizzie also loves pears and apples.
Sickpigen
its not dangerus

my dog eating all kind of fruits
like bananas, kiwi, orange ang others...
roboguyspacedude
Thats interesting. My aunt trained her dogs once they were getting overweight to eat vegetables like green beans and carrots. They would beg for them as if they were treats.
russel26
i have a dog ill train eat fruits but now my dog all fruits have eaten.. Laughing
asim
fbcompany wrote:
my 3 month old kitten has developed a taste for fruit - especially mango and watermelon.
aside from having expensive tastes, is there anything wrong with giving him small amounts of fruit occasionally?

has anyone else got (or heard of) a cat that enjoys fruit?

i dunno about this but my cats like to have choclate.... u know they fight for it.... try giving them choclate's. I'll try with fruits... i dont think that ther's any harm in giving fruits. Very Happy
eday2010
My cat likes eating my boogers. If he sees me picking my nose, he'll meow and come right up to my face, waiting for whatever I can dig out. It's gross, but it saves tissues and means I don't have to wipe them on something.

And do not feed cats or dogs onions or chocolate. They both contain a chemical that is toxic to both animals, and builds up in them until they die from it.
redchic
i have a dog who goes bonkers for dried fruit. she literally does backflipsfor it.

none of my cats ever ate weird stuff.... they did alot weird things though
redchic
Quote:
My cat likes eating my boogers. If he sees me picking my nose, he'll meow and come right up to my face, waiting for whatever I can dig out. It's gross, but it saves tissues and means I don't have to wipe them on something.

gross not quite the word for it ........
dandickson
My cat will eat anything he really loves yogurt,chocolate and cheerios.
eday2010
dandickson wrote:
My cat will eat anything he really loves yogurt,chocolate and cheerios.

Don't feed your cat chocolate? How many people have to say it is toxic to cats before you understand that it wil lkill your cat?
cloudship
I just read the news of a rabbit eating meat and google for that. It turns out to be an occasional but not abnormal bahavior for animals, especially for mammals. It will definitely not hurt them, but no good will be done to them, either, since there are no such enzymes in ther body secreted to absorb the nutrition.

So, don't worry, it is just as fine as it could be. Wink
alyer
I think that it's OK with your kitten! I saw cat that eats cucumber Smile And done this with great pleasure! My cat like to eat mashed potatoes.
Coen
I don't see any harm in letting your kitten eat some fruit every now and then. Only thing I can think of is that you should be carefull not to feed it to many and escpecially not to many fruits that contain a lot of water (watermelon etc.) as that might cause diarrhea.
But other then that I think it won't harm your kitten at all.
Crinoid
One of my cats would drop anything for cucumber Smile .