FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A sigh of relief.

Tex_Arcana
I'm back on Frihost now ansd it's been a long strange trip getting back here. My old E-machines box ate it's last byte and died. I went out and got a kit so I could play around with it.

I had in mind a duel boot system. XP to play games on and Ubuntu for the serious work (yeah, I'm warped like that). Well., I'm back on line now but things aren't working out the way I wanted them to work. I was never able to quite get XP to work for more the 48 hours before a reboot of the system would get me a message about not being able to boot the OS (this is before attempting to put in Ubuntu). This time I got fed up with trying to make XP work and just went with my faithful Ubuntu.

Not only is my computer working beautifully now but it feels like I've come home to somewhere familiar. I can start work again on my site and writing. Only problem now are these games I bought to play on XP not to mention the old ones I really miss like Mechwarrior Mercinaries (used to be on a team called Red Griffins) and Freelancer (are these "classics" now).

Yeah I know I can get some version of Wine to play them so I guess it's back to a 100% Linux box for me.
S3nd K3ys
Tex_Arcana wrote:
I'm back on Frihost now ansd it's been a long strange trip getting back here. My old E-machines box ate it's last byte and died. I went out and got a kit so I could play around with it.

I had in mind a duel boot system. XP to play games on and Ubuntu for the serious work (yeah, I'm warped like that). Well., I'm back on line now but things aren't working out the way I wanted them to work. I was never able to quite get XP to work for more the 48 hours before a reboot of the system would get me a message about not being able to boot the OS (this is before attempting to put in Ubuntu). This time I got fed up with trying to make XP work and just went with my faithful Ubuntu.

Not only is my computer working beautifully now but it feels like I've come home to somewhere familiar. I can start work again on my site and writing. Only problem now are these games I bought to play on XP not to mention the old ones I really miss like Mechwarrior Mercinaries (used to be on a team called Red Griffins) and Freelancer (are these "classics" now).

Yeah I know I can get some version of Wine to play them so I guess it's back to a 100% Linux box for me.

Wine won't run all windows apps, but should do most games. I am forced to use windows because of Mastercam.
WickedGravity
If you tweak it hard enough, Wine will run just about anything that your little heart can think of. If you Google it, there are sites that have dozens of tuts on how to setup Wine for various apps and games.
ezekiel_rage
Tex_Arcana wrote:

Wine has matured to beta stage, so there are a lot of windows applications that it is capable of running now than before.

Have you tried the latest wine packages?

Maybe you should consider subscribing to the commercial wine packages like Cedega for gaming and Crossover Linux for general purpose stuff.
Tex_Arcana
Actually I'm downloading the wine package from Ubuntu as I type. May not be the latest but it should work without a lot of hassle.

It used to be that Wine had no direct x support at all and you had to use something like WineX or Cedega to play any games. I think my first windows game on wine will be Freelancer. After all it is a Microsoft game (yeah I'm warped like that, first mp3 I ever downloaded of Limewire was Metalica, just because, I listened to it once then deleted it.).
ocalhoun
^Wine can be very hard to configure; try a very simple game (like solitaire) to start out with, and work on getting progressively more complex ones to run. By doing this, I got starcraft to work, but that was about the limit. (It also ran slowly, so if you want to run freelancer in wine, I hope you came prepared with a very powerful and fast computer.
santium
If you are willing to put out a little cash, there's a better alternative that can run a LOT of Windows applications. It was invented primarily for games, but it is useful for a lot of things. I am talking about Cedega.
It supports a mess load of games. Even ones that use a lot of graphic power and processing power. I can run games like Guild Wars and World of Warcraft on it without any loss of performance. If not a gain in performance over Windows because there is less overhead.
corey
If you're willing to install the CVS version, you can use Cedega for free. That just means, of course, that you're going to be using the bleeding edge new product that's pre-production, which means that it might not be stable for a few nightlys before you get a good version where a lot of bugs were squashed.

It is an option for the financially challenged, though.
Tex_Arcana
Actually, I lied. My first project was to get my HP 5 in 1 printer, scanner, fax, yada, yada, yada to work with Wine (no Linux drivers for this puppy in fact it requires you have Internet Explorer installed, talk about weird software dependencies).

Anyway with the holidays things have been a little crazy so that project is on hold so I don't end up trying to slit my wrists with the end of a lighted USB cable.