FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remote Desktop :: Cannot get it to work

-TomJ-
I have a small network at home, using a wireless router. I have one desktop running WinXPProSP2, and a laptop running the same operating system.

I would like to operate the desktop (called T-01, located in the attic) from the laptop (called TM, in the livingroom) using the Windows feature Remote Desktop (RD).

I have found that for RD it is required to have a user with a password, so I have created on both systems a user called Friend, and also made them password-required. On both systems I have added the user Friend to the RD user group.

I have Windows Firewall running and I have allowed RD to pass the firewall.

Stiil I cannot establish a RD connection.
I have tried connecting to T-01\Friend, to \Friend, to T-01, and vice versa to TM\Friend ...

I have found a tool, and using that I found that Port 3389 which is normally used for RD communication, is not available.

Is this something I need to fix in Windows Firewall?
Is this something that is prohibited by my wifi router?
Is this something I can fix in another matter?
Is this something I can fix at all?
Is there a source where more information on this subject may be found?
ronald.helpdesk
The remote desktop, acts like a remote sesion, you start a sesion in the remote computer, using a username and password, that the target machine has in the user list. Just make sure that you are using the proper procedure, in some way, I've aquired better results using an IP adress instead of a computer name, then I log into XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX and not to \\computer_name, it has worked better for me, later, you have to enable in the system properties, over the remote tab, allow users to connect remotely to this computer. If you don't do that, maybe you will experience some bad stuff...

Anyway, if you don't want to get bored with these sort of remote control, you can use third party software as: VNC, Tight VNC or others, these last ones, are free and very efective.

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

Greetings, hope it helps you.
msuballer1981
For the computer you want to connect to:

1. right click my computer, left click properties
2. click on remote tab
3. put a check next to allow users to connect to this computer remotely
4. click slect remote users and add the account you created to that list

shouldnt have to forward any ports on your router as long as you allow the exception to the windows firewall. Also you shouldnt have to connect by IP, the computer name should work fine.
-TomJ-
I have resorted to TightVNC, and it seems to work better than anything else I have tried sofar.

I installed TightVNC server and client on both machines, rebooted them both, and both machines report a functioning VNC.

However, when I active remote desktop from system TM to reach system T-01, I get the T-01 desktop in view, but it appears that the T-01 desktop is also showing the TM desktop which shows the T-01 desktop which shows the TM desktop et cetera.

Am I not supposed to have VNC running simultaneously on both machines?
Can I tune VNC in such a way that it will work?
billybob
-TomJ- wrote:
I have resorted to TightVNC, and it seems to work better than anything else I have tried sofar.

I installed TightVNC server and client on both machines, rebooted them both, and both machines report a functioning VNC.

However, when I active remote desktop from system TM to reach system T-01, I get the T-01 desktop in view, but it appears that the T-01 desktop is also showing the TM desktop which shows the T-01 desktop which shows the TM desktop et cetera.

Am I not supposed to have VNC running simultaneously on both machines?
Can I tune VNC in such a way that it will work?

i didn't quite under stand that, do you mean that you have a session on each machine open of the other machine so that you get a mirror affect?
If so why would you want a session each machine on the other at the same time anyway? can you not just close one?

or did i just miss the question completely there?
-TomJ-
Basically, I am trying to find out the best modus operandi.
I wanted to be able to access machine B whenever I am in location A. But I guess I had better decide what to do. If I am downstairs, I should have the machine upstairs set to Listening. And when I am upstairs, the machine downstairs should be Listening.
jwellsy
TomJ, I have never been able to get it to work on an XP machine either.

Take a look at MS NetMeeting.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/
It does work on XP, and may give you the functionality your looking for.
-TomJ-
Originally I started out trying to use the stuff that is supplied with WinXP, but I take it Microsoft assumes this feature is only required with computers that are aprt of a domain, rather than a network group. I have had to abandon that track because it didn't work out.
So far the results gained with TightVNC are the best I have had so far.
I will spend some time tuning the configuration, but I need to find that time first. I shall take the laptop upstairs so I can operate both systems from the same chair without having to climb the stairs every time.