FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I need Linux Installation Help:: PLEASE HELP ME!!!





LostOverThere
Hey All,
Im setting up a dual-boot system. I already have Windows XP, and i'm getting OpenSuSE (Dont laugh). Anyway, me, being a bit of a newbie, knowing little, asks, when installing OpenSuSE Linux 10.2, with the petition, where it says "Reduce Windows to 67gb", that won't delete any files, am I right?

Yours,
-Lost.
Straevaras
How are the partitions laid out on your hard drive now? Do you just have Windows XP installed on the entire disk? If that's the case, then you need to shrink the Windows partition down to however much you can. I recommend using Partition Magic 8.0 to shrink your windows partition down (probably to 67GB as the Partition Manager suggests). Before you shrink your partition though, Defragment your computer many many times! I cannot say this enough! This will decrease the chances of something going wrong during the partitioning (and yes, it can happen, I've seen it happen once before, but the hard drive I saw it happen on was beginning to fail anyway). So before you do ANY partitioning, BACKUP ALL OF YOUR DATA YOU NEED. Once you've shrunk the Windows Partition and have unallocated space after it, OpenSuse will use that space to make its install.

Reason I recommend using Partition Magic 8.0 is because it's not a destructive partitioner like the one in Suse installations or GParted is. Chances are (although I could be wrong) that it won't partition your drive.

This is from all my experiences trying to get Linux to dual boot off my laptop.
LostOverThere
Ok, thanks. Very Happy
djclue917
LostOverThere wrote:
Hey All,
Im setting up a dual-boot system. I already have Windows XP, and i'm getting OpenSuSE (Dont laugh). Anyway, me, being a bit of a newbie, knowing little, asks, when installing OpenSuSE Linux 10.2, with the petition, where it says "Reduce Windows to 67gb", that won't delete any files, am I right?


If you're using NTFS for your partitions, DO NOT PROCEED with the resizing of your partition/s. There is a high risk that the process will fail simply because it's NTFS. It's evil. Kidding aside, NTFS write access is still somewhat buggy/unreliable in Linux, even when using ntfs-3g.

By the way, I can't think of any reason why people would laugh at you because you decided to pick openSUSE 10.2 among the other distros. IMHO and after reading all the good reviews about 10.2, openSUSE 10.2 is way way better as compared to 10.1 in which SUSE failed to deliver. By the way, if you decided on installing KDE, look forward to using the kickoff menu.

See the preview here: http://home.kde.org/~binner/kickoff/sneak_preview.html

Anyway, back to the topic... Before installing openSUSE, just use a reliable partition manager in Windows to resize the partition and make room for SUSE.

I hope that helps...
ezekiel_rage
LostOverThere wrote:
Hey All,
Im setting up a dual-boot system. I already have Windows XP, and i'm getting OpenSuSE (Dont laugh). Anyway, me, being a bit of a newbie, knowing little, asks, when installing OpenSuSE Linux 10.2, with the petition, where it says "Reduce Windows to 67gb", that won't delete any files, am I right?

Yours,
-Lost.


No it wont delete any files. it is quite safe.

It just means that the installer will get some free space from your windows partition so that it can create Linux partitions.

But to be really safe, backup all data on the windows partition to be resized.

Additionally, you can defragment your Windows partition first so that all data will be transfered to the front/beginning of the partition. Since SuSE's installer will get space from the end/back of the windows partition.

Hope this helps
ezekiel_rage
djclue917 wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
Hey All,
Im setting up a dual-boot system. I already have Windows XP, and i'm getting OpenSuSE (Dont laugh). Anyway, me, being a bit of a newbie, knowing little, asks, when installing OpenSuSE Linux 10.2, with the petition, where it says "Reduce Windows to 67gb", that won't delete any files, am I right?


If you're using NTFS for your partitions, DO NOT PROCEED with the resizing of your partition/s. There is a high risk that the process will fail simply because it's NTFS. It's evil. Kidding aside, NTFS write access is still somewhat buggy/unreliable in Linux, even when using ntfs-3g.

By the way, I can't think of any reason why people would laugh at you because you decided to pick openSUSE 10.2 among the other distros. IMHO and after reading all the good reviews about 10.2, openSUSE 10.2 is way way better as compared to 10.1 in which SUSE failed to deliver. By the way, if you decided on installing KDE, look forward to using the kickoff menu.

See the preview here: http://home.kde.org/~binner/kickoff/sneak_preview.html

Anyway, back to the topic... Before installing openSUSE, just use a reliable partition manager in Windows to resize the partition and make room for SUSE.

I hope that helps...


Not to contradict you or anything. You are 100% correct about the NTFS thing.

But in my experience, the partition resizing in SuSE's installer is working fine. As is also for the partition resizer in Mandriva.

But then that's me.

Your mileage may vary.
dooble.doodles
begining of the drive. Windows 98 did that, but XP seems to put the file fragments together (defragging), but not always pushing it to the front of the drive.

I have somewhat avoided the resizing with my systems and I use a more simple version of linux, Gentoo!
internetjobs
here is simple linux installation method

if you have operating system windows 98, 2000, or windows xp.. no problem...

if you installed your windows os in C drive.. then go to disk manager.. format 1 GB for FAT or FAT32... and leave 2 GB or more for free space...


then boot your system with Linux CD then select auto partition...

then install as usual.. i think this is the very simple method for linux installation..
ehab
what a nice read : )


I never knew partition magik or similar tools can be used to "SHRINK" down the partition ..

the defragment idea given is good, because it brings up all the stuff together .. makes it compact ..

great read indeed !
LostOverThere
Ok thanks guys, I have NTFS, so I guess I have to get myself a good partitioner, anyone know of a good free one?

So, if I defrag, Partition, then install, i'll be fine? Even with my NTFS? Ok...
dac_nip
I think its pretty risky if you try to shrink NTFS. From my exprience and from what I have read, NTFS is still unreliable and buggy in Linux. Very Happy
urangkayo
LostOverThere wrote:
Hey All,
Im setting up a dual-boot system. I already have Windows XP, and i'm getting OpenSuSE (Dont laugh). Anyway, me, being a bit of a newbie, knowing little, asks, when installing OpenSuSE Linux 10.2, with the petition, where it says "Reduce Windows to 67gb", that won't delete any files, am I right?

Yours,
-Lost.


if you can speak in indonesia language, you can look here http://files.urangkayo.frih.net/ , i have write tutorial how to install dual boot XP (with screen shoot) maybe you can look screen shoot only if you can't speak in indonesia languange Smile

It's easy to install XP and Open Suse in dual boot mode. May be you can look at OpenSuse forum for another information.

cheerss...
TheGeek
I did this back when I was using Suse 9.1 and it worked perfectly for me...many times...(I messed other stuff up, nothing to do with installation)

As long as you have less than 67GB of stuff on your windows partition, you are good to go. Just follow the directions on the installer and it works 100% of the time guaranteed. The cool thing is, is now you don't even have to transfer your windows files to your Linux partition necessarily. Linux NTFS support has gotten better and better and though writing to NTFS is still in its beta form, reading an NTFS partition is completely risk free. I have all my music on my NTFS partitions simply because I am lazy and have not gotten around to moving them, reformatting the NTFS partition to EXT3 and then moving everything back again (though I need to do this...).
ammonkc
LostOverThere wrote:
Hey All,
Im setting up a dual-boot system. getting OpenSuSE (Dont laugh)

Why would you say "don't laugh" about SUSE? I think SUSE is a very good distro. Novell has done some really good things with making it a user friendly desktop distro. If anything, I would be more embarrassed about having windows xp on the other side of the dual boot.
Just my two cents,
redice
You need to manage the disk partition first before install suse linux. Make a free partition enough for suse use, when install, re-partition it for linux to use and install on it.
MrBlueSky
redice wrote:
You need to manage the disk partition first before install suse linux. Make a free partition enough for suse use, when install, re-partition it for linux to use and install on it.


You don't have to. SuSe's installer can make a partition for you, without removing the already installed os.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.