FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Loading Firefox...

Da Rossa
We all know that the only aspect that IE beats Firefox is the time it takes to load. This is because most IE-associated files are loaded up with Windows, in a process that many open-source lovers loathed Microsoft labeling it as unethical "because even if you don't use IE the files are already loaded on your system so it's resources are compromised".
So, is there a way to have Firefox components to be loaded along with Windows at boot in order to make the browser start faster each time I open it?
Thanks.
Ranfaroth
For Seamonkey, there is an option called Quick Launch. Maybe Fx also have it...
orcaz
I remember there was a Prefetching option in Firetune (a program used to tune up Firefox) last time, but in the latest version, I think they have removed it after many criticisms about it.
truespeed
I open firefox before opening aol,it loads straight away,i noticed in the past that after aol was open,th initial launch of firefox would take a while to come up,so i started opening firefox first,i dont know if its still nessecery to do so,but out of habit i still open firefox first.
Animal
You can set your shortcut to prefetch Firefox - this will help loading speeds when you launch the browser after it has already been opened and closed again. To do this, right-click on the shortcut icon you use for Firefox, hit Properties and change the Target line to:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

Include the quotes, but change the directory to your Firefox Installation if it's different to the default settings.

HTH Very Happy
Da Rossa
Animal wrote:
You can set your shortcut to prefetch Firefox - this will help loading speeds when you launch the browser after it has already been opened and closed again. To do this, right-click on the shortcut icon you use for Firefox, hit Properties and change the Target line to:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /Prefetch:1

Include the quotes, but change the directory to your Firefox Installation if it's different to the default settings.

HTH Very Happy

But this procedure relieves the system from the memory usage and/or other loads in the CPU?
Thanks in advance!
creezalird
Never bother to make the boot up process of firefox faster anymore..As I only open the browser once as I login..and close it only as I shut down my laptop...Anyway in my opinion,the loading time is not too long if we compare for all the security and goodness that you get through firefox..the only true internet browser..
Da Rossa
You got a point, but in my case my pc stays on 24/7. I close it only because of the endless RAM gluttony when I have to load a game or burn a media in Nero, to prevent competition for memory. But each time I hit my hotkeys to load Firefox is so boring... IMO, the only drawback in Firefox.
This 'prefetch' tweak scrambles with the memory?
Thanks.
Animal
Da Rossa wrote:
But this procedure relieves the system from the memory usage and/or other loads in the CPU?

As far as I know (and I might be wrong here...) the prefetch command loads Firefox into the pagefile - this is "swap space" on your hard disk that is used to swap files in and out of ram. So it doesn't use additional ram, but it does take up space on the pagefile.