FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

computer won't boot up

standready
I have a friend’s computer here I am trying to figure out. When you start it up, the initial start up screen appears but without the “setup” keys at bottom (ie “press ESC to enter set up”). The computer just hangs at this point and goes no further. I have tried using a boot disk without success. Fried BIOS? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Bones
Sounds like the pc is not passing POST, which would be a hardware failure. Try stripping the system all all non-essential hardware needed to boot and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then start adding components back in till it hangs again and you have the culprit.

Other than that you might want to look for some hardware diagostic tools that can be used on boot, or take the box to a tech shop.

Also,are you getting any beeps when you power the system on?
msuballer1981
check for loose cables, or cables inserted up side down. Make sure the processor, heat sink and RAM are seated properly.
ronald.helpdesk
clear up the cmos man, maybe you have enabled the option to not show the summary screen, or the show logo only in the motherboard, if you clear the cMos the defaults settings will be loaded, and you'll be prompted to reconfigure your entire BIOS, then you'll be able to actually know if it's a hardware malfunction or a wrongfull setting.
askchris
If you have ps/2 connections for the mouse and keyboard, make sure that they are plugged the right way round, and also check that there are no keys that are stuck down on the keyboard.
Kelvin
Failure to even pass through BIOS is usually due to the motherboard failure. You can try what ronald suggested. If that fails, then you probably got a fried motherboard. Did your friend run any BIOS updates lately that did not complete properly?
standready
Thanks everyone! The computer had been in dialy use and setting in cabinet. All cables and other items secure.
I suspected fried motherboard (had no surge supresser) but will try resetting bios.
billgertz
I agree with what POST power failure. Maybe you want to isolate the motherboard.
1.) Disconnect all the external devices like soundcard, video card and others.
2.) dont forget to unplug the data cable for your storage devices to make sure that motherboard, memory and the processor are the only thing that is working.
3.) Then connect the keyboard and the monitor data cable. then turn on the CPU. you should hear a single beep which will tell you that your computer was able to pass Power On Self Test (POST).
4.) if it does, plug your external devices one by one so you will be able to identify what device is failing.

I hope this one helps..

Thanks.